Recent content by Mike789 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Mike789

1. M

1998 EXP EB Edition 4.6 Won't Start

Could I still bypass the fuel pump relay if the theft lite is on ? It's at my friend's house so I can't check it easily. One key also. No $ to spend on it as it way too many electrical issues, like windows. It also might be stuck in 4WD which is not keeping it from rolling. It's not a daily driver.
  2. M

1998 EXP EB Edition 4.6 Won't Start

Hello again, been a while... The Exp has been working ok until I didn't run it for 6+ months. Cranks but won't run. Seems like I'm not hearing the fuel pump anymore. The THEFT light is blinking which seems to mean the fuel relay is not closed, ie, no fuel. Can I unplug a/the THEFT relay ? Will...
  3. M

'98 EB Alternator Probs & Replacement

I figured as much, in that a battery acts like a capacitor. If I disconnect the + from the batt, will the Exp still run ? If it runs does this mean the alt is putting out some juice at least ?
  4. M

Can '98 Exp CV axles be Removed for 2WD only ?

Is it possible, w/o a ton of $, to make my 98 SOHC 4.0 better ? Ie, manual TC ?
  5. M

1998 Eddie Bauer Exp Stuck in 4WH

Ok, this makes more sense every day :) A few days ago I was thinking that removing the juice would make the TC clutch disengage but that's not really posssible I don't think as then Ford would have to design it so the juice would have to be on all the time in 4WH. Seems like the...
  6. M

4WH Theory & What Will Break 1st

Huh, I did not know that posi is really not locked up via gears, but still could slip. Does this mean, if i was so inclined, I could make most any old 70's car (I have a 74 LTD and a 76 LTD) act like it had Posi somehow ?
  7. M

Good stuff to know. I didn't realize the engine would use so much. Didn't someone post that the only thing the batt does is start the car ? I'm pretty sure the Exp has a SOHC 4.0, but I am not 100% sure as the eng was replaced approx 5 years ago. I should back up. What happened is that after...
  8. M

Yup, I will take the wire(s) off 1st, but it seems that may not help if the shift-motor is not spring loaded, so I will take the SM off.
  9. M

Ok, so if posi and LS are the same thing, why did the 69 Camaro I have never slip, even in snow ? Only with that rear-end was I able to drive from VT to MA during the worst of the blizzard of 78. And why do most rear ends (I've always called them LS or limited traction) slip at the earliest hint...
  10. M

No, the 4WH is not on, but with all the other GEM things that don't work 1/2 the time, I'm not surprised. I have read a lot of things in the past week or 2 re the Exp's 4wd system. Hopefully one last set of questions :) The 'brown wire' - does that actuate the "shift motor" which pulls or...
  11. M

Ok, so for a newbie like me, plus I might have a slight case of info overload, 1st what I want to do is get it out of the 4WH I think it's stuck in. Can I do this by unplugging the wires ? And if that doesn't work ? Then do I take the shidt motor off and I can shoft it with pliars into 2WH ...
  12. M

Thx. My Dad and I rebuilt a few alternators in the 70's, but no more it seems. I will stick to the JY or Advance, not sure yet. Is there any way to tell which model alternator I have ? 95A or 130A w/o taking it out ?
  13. M

Ok, I read all these posts and those in other threads too... What would be the general opinion on MOST RELIABLE 4WD system, completely manual, no AWD, no sensors, no computers, etc ? Does the Explorer come in such a model ? 4Runner ? Range Rover ? Pathfinder ? I'm still not clear on another...
  14. M

Great information, all. I am too old too admit just how old, but I have never given much thought to 4WD until now. Being an Engineer, means I will not rest ez until I know as much as I can handle... So, I have read all the replies and still have a few questions... It seems to me, corners are a...
  15. M

Does the 96 arrangement make it more valuable ? If I do buy a different Exp, I would want it more simple than this 98 I have. I don't mind getting out and locking hubs either, i just want it to work, always. Do the early Exp's have locking hubs ?
Back