Recent content by MusicLover | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by MusicLover

1. M

Instrument cluster intermittent power loss

By the way, they replaced three capacitors and one resistor. It is apparently one or more of these four places where these clusters always fail, so they just replace all of these components whether they need to be or not. Also updated the lighting to all LED's and they are way brighter. They...
  2. M

I checked the wiring harness in the driver's door-to-cab area and everything seemed okay. That is a real PITA to get apart, the wiring harness is not easily taken apart, you have to unbolt the top part of the round plastic housing from the bottom part and the harness unplugs, but not easily...
  3. M

I have a 2004 ST and the instrument cluster will lose power intermittently. The gauges all go the the position when the key is off. And also the radio loses power, and the power windows lose power. It will come back on a few minutes later, sometimes this is in a TEST mode that appears where...
  4. M

Will harmonic balancer from 2007 Mustang work on 2004 ST?

Got the replacement engine installed....everything re-connected, new fluids. Cranked it over and it started up and ran beautifully. So yes.....despite the harmonic balancers looking quite different between the original one and the one on the '07 Mustang....the replacement engine works with the...
  5. M

Just an update on the CPS....I contacted SMP and asked if there was any technical information for the PC250 and how this compared to the one for the Stang...I think it was PC620. This is manufactured by a different company in China and no technical info is available although the person I spoke...
  6. M

Thanks for the reply koda. I also looked at rockauto and checked all listed items for both crank position sensor and harmonic balancers for the '04 ST and '07 Mustang. Most of the CPS parts are for '01-'10 ST one was for '05-'10 ST and these were mostly the same for the '05-'10 Mustang. The...
  7. M

Hi all. Getting ready to install a low mileage 2007 Mustang engine into a 2004 ST and have a few questions. Hopefully someone can help me out. I have seen a few different threads regarding having to change the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, valve covers and use the existing wiring harness...
  8. M

Pics of my Trac from the past few months... Pic heavy (obviously)

Hi Sean. These are really great pictures. Looks like you are having some fun. One thing to remember in the words of my almost famous drag race friend which I believe also applies to off roaders... "If you don't break it...how do you know you got the most out of it?" Keep on having fun.
  9. M

Timing Chain, how worried should I be.

Hi Lone Wolf. I have a 2004 SportTrac with 346,000 km on it (212,400 miles). This is in minus 40 degree winters and 95 degree summers. All easy highway miles. An easy life for any vehicle. Oil changed every 5000 km (3000 miles). No timing chain rattles (thankfully), transmission oil and...
  10. M

Converting 2004 Sport Trac to 2WD?

Just an update for anyone interested in doing a 4WD to 2WD conversion.... Changed the front spindles to those from a 2001 2WD Sport Trac and have been driving it that way for a couple of months. $175 for the two spindles, (it is very difficult to find 2WD spindles in Canada) $109 each for the...
  11. M

Replacing tensioners without replacing cassettes and chains?

I bought a 2004 SportTrac 4.0L SOHC 4x4 two years ago which now has 346,000 km on it (about 207,600 miles). The timing chain tensioners have never been replaced and I have seen many different articles suggesting that these tensioners be replaced every 75,000 miles. Although there is no noise...
  12. M

Vibration felt through entire vehicle

H Flyer2ace. I have converted my 2004 SportTrac 4wd into 2wd by removing the axle shafts, removing prop shaft, dropping out the front differential, and putting front spindles and rotors/hubs on from a 2001 2wd SportTrac. $150 for both spindles and rotors/hubs (auto wrecker) , $50 to have the...
  13. M

2 WD ABS vs. 4 WD ABS? Conversion to/from 4WD to 2WD

Does anyone know....who has successfully completed a 4WD to 2WD conversion...or vice versa ...whether the ABS controller knows the difference? I have installed 2WD spindles, hub/rotor, from a 2001 ST into a 2004 ST 4x4. Dropped out the diff, prop shaft, obviously axle shafts. My question is...
  14. M

Hi Flyer2ace. Just following up to see if you have found out whether the prop shaft CV at the transfer case was the cause of the unknown vibration. Apparently, this is a common and misdiagnosed problem which leads an enthusiast to replace many costly suspension parts without justification...
  15. M

Here is another video with a propellor shaft CV joint problem. Is this the noise that your truck makes?
Back