Recent content by myf16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by myf16

1. M

Any tips on replacing transmission pan gasket?

I may not get to this for a few weeks but I degreased the pan area today. I noticed a heat shield facing the catalytic converter. It looks like it clips to the transmission somehow but I can’t see exactly how it’s attached. It might interfere with dropping the pan. Does anyone know whether that...
  2. M

Any tips on replacing transmission pan gasket?

My 1996 XLT has a drip from around the front of the transmission pan. I bought a Motorcraft trans filter and gasket and O-ring kit to install soon. I will check the pan against a glass table to confirm that it's flat, I will use a 1/4 inch socket driver to avoid overtightening. What are the...
  3. M

Are these regulator brushes worn out? Upgrade from 95A to 130A with same serpentine belt?

I'm embarrassed to report that my problem was not the alternator. I had pulled fuses in an unsuccessful attempt to locate a small current drain. When I re-inserted the "generator" fuse I missed the socket slightly. The fuse was slightly askew and not making contact. All's well that ends well.
  4. M

How to: 96 Explorer door lock actuator tutorial with a slide show of pictures.

Thanks, @swshawaii. I just finished installing a junkyard actuator. It works perfectly.
  5. M

How to: 96 Explorer door lock actuator tutorial with a slide show of pictures.

This is my next project. If anyone has photos to post, please do so.
  6. M

Are these regulator brushes worn out? Upgrade from 95A to 130A with same serpentine belt?

I bought a rebuilt motorcraft $90 on eBay. I’ll be back on the road next weekend.
  7. M

The battery is discharging 9 amps while running, indicating an alternator failure. I tried grounding the pin with no change. So I removed the regulator and the brushes look a bit short. Is it possible they are so worn out that they aren't making contact anymore? Edit: I'm pretty sure these are...
  8. M

Brake lights stay on until I pull up on the brake pedal

My brake light switch has an internal plunger: https://img.go-parts.com/catalog/brand/standard-ignition/full/414E1F1.jpg So I'm pretty sure the problem was friction inside the master cylinder.
  9. M

Brake lights stay on until I pull up on the brake pedal

This problem disappeared on its own. It must have been surface rust due to heavy rain last winter.
  10. M

Long term fuel trim LTFT is 20% on both banks; rough idle; what should I try?

I ended up replacing the catalytic converter and the emissions are now incredibly low. 7 ppm HC. The long term fuel trim is unchanged, so I suppose the fuel pump is weak but good enough for now. Life is good. As I posted on the Overdrive thread, the direct fit California compliant direct fit...
  11. M

Solved CA Smog was at the limit last time, would disabling overdrive help?

Success finally! I found a direct fit CARB compliant converter for less than $500 at rockauto. $555 to my doorstep. AP Eastern 916060. I paid a local muffler shop $300 for removal and installation. Removal was hampered by rust, including an unusable rear flange, and it took them 3 hours. Smog...
  12. M

I bought an IR thermometer and measured temps for the cats. Upstream tube was 436, after first cat was 456, entering second cat was about 430 and exiting was about 430. I'm not 100% sure the cats were fully warmed up. I'm reluctant to change the fuel pump given the time needed, but it's not...
  13. M

I need a cat that's listed for test group TFM4.028G2FK at Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Database There are several, but nothing with the Part Manufacturer listed as Magnaflow. The Pre-1996 vehicles have a lot more choices for cats. The Magnaflow website says 80708 is not compatible and...
  14. M

Update: The smog test failed again with almost exactly the same numbers. Any vacuum leak from the EGR diaphragm must have made no difference. EGR operation reduces NOx, not HC. I will need a CARB-compliant catalytic converter or I will have to sell the car to an out of state buyer. Unless...
  15. M

Hood latch is stuck part closed: won't open and won't close

Success! I loosed one of the 8 mm bolts then I heard a pop as that side of the assembly moved downward. I checked and the hood was free. After opening the hood I released the latch from inside the car. I remounted the latch assembly in its original position with 1 mm, and all was back to normal.
Back