Recent content by overripeturnip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by overripeturnip

1. O

Can't Get Rid of Engine Ping/Knock

Could somebody clarify what you guys mean by pinging? Am I right in saying this is the same as knocking/detonation? What exactly are you guys heading to indicate this is occurring? I'd just like to know the telltale signs. Thanks in advance.
  2. O

92 OHV Engine Removal

It could well be. I guess I need to take a much closer look at this before I get too carried away. It's really hard to see from underneath, and I'd have to clamber on top of the engine to get a peak at it from above.
  3. O

92 OHV Engine Removal

I realized it was a timing chain rather than belt but figured, surely, by 170k miles even a chain would be due for replacement. If there's no service interval on them, I'll happily forego replacing it. As far as the oil leak goes, it's probably around the rate you suggested. It just bugs me...
  4. O

92 OHV Engine Removal

Thanks, Arco. That's exactly the sort of thing I was trying to track down. I'll have a good read through it and get back to you with any questions.
  5. O

92 OHV Engine Removal

The plan I had in my head was much more along the lines of your second scenario. It gets quite hot during sustained climbs and occasionally in stop-and-go traffic, but otherwise it pulls really well and there's no hint of smoke. I towed a friend's VW Jetta some 12 miles up some pretty steep...
  6. O

92 OHV Engine Removal

Thanks for the reply, Rhett. Can you elaborate on the "etc." bit?
  7. O

92 OHV Engine Removal

So, after completely overhauling the A/C system earlier this month (new everything bar the evaporator, as per Maniak's suggestion) and flushing out the cooling system, I've had a recurring coolant leak. At first, the Exploder's drinking habit was really bad, like 0.5 gal a day bad. Turns out...
  8. O

92 heater control valve install video

Thanks again, Mark. I seem to be missing coolant since I flushed the system and replaced the thermostat. I suspect the heater core has a pinhole somewhere, so I was probably gonna swap the core out anyway. I'll have a poke around tonight.
  9. O

OK. Looks like a need to do some digging to find out where that blend door line runs exactly.
  10. O

How to: 1991-1994 Heater Core Replacement Diary

I'm sure you could find some on eBay, Amazon or Aliexpress. Try this: http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=PAS1860-25
  11. O

How to: 1991-1994 Heater Core Replacement Diary

The carpet is held on with push-type retainers. You can just carefully pry the centre pin up with a small flat head and the whole fastener pops out. If you're careful you should have no trouble reusing them.
  12. O

I just found this on YouTube myself and came back to the forum to discuss it, only to find there was already this thread. The installation looks pretty straight-forward except the video doesn't explain exactly when the vacuum feed for the valve is coming from. All the vacuum hoses on my car in...
  13. O

1992 Ford Explorer XLT Compressor issues

Thanks, Mark. I've been searching everywhere for a recommended charge after converting to R134a. Does the 7oz of PAG46 oil sound reasonable? What does the black goo signify? I did look at those variable orifices but didn't understand what the benefit was supposed to be so opted for a fixed...
  14. O

Connector set information required to evacuate an R12 A/C

It should be a 7/16" fitting on the low side and a 3/8" fitting on the high side. This should sort things out: http://m.ebay.com/itm/151120832713?_mwBanner=1 If you shop around, you'll no doubt find a kit like that a bit cheaper, but that's essentially the sort of thing you're looking for.
  15. O

1992 Ford Explorer XLT Compressor issues

Hey Mark, thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't planning on changing the evaporator or the condenser since I figure the big old inline filter positioned right after the compressor probably caught the majority of the shrapnel. I was going to replace that line (along with the filter) and flush...
Back