Recent content by r37ribution | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by r37ribution

1. R

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

Oh yes his driving habits would have been impossible for me to replicate. I have a lead foot! :burnout: btw sorry for using the condescenting "with all due respect" phrase =P meant no harm by it. I just re-read it and realized I hate it when people say it to me.
  2. R

Producing more power with the same fuel consumption is by definition more efficient. With all due respect to Rick and yourself, I think that Al Dive proved in this 105 page thread that the 4.0L SOHC is more than capable of producing > 21mpg.
  3. R

Correct, efficiency doesn't have anything to do with max flow @ .500 but the problem is that the flow numbers are terrible throughout the entire lift range 100-500. We tested the flow @ 100,2,3,4 and 500 on the stock heads. This does pose a problem with efficiency - the faster you can get air in...
  4. R

It has a lot to do with the efficiencies of the heads. I know for a fact that the OHV heads don't flow over 164 intake and 139 exhaust @ .500 lift in their stock form which is way more lift than the stock cam offers. The problem is inherant to the design of the heads. There is a sharp bend, the...
  5. R

rubber flooring?????

has anyone had any experience with this company's vinyl rubber flooring? http://www.auto-interior.com/ford28.htm#Explorer :edit: or this... http://www.varkmotors.com/EXPLORER_c_13199.html
  6. R

R37... Time for my 4.0 build

Yea, I gave up because the power I was looking for (450-550) would have been too costly on a 4.0 build and have built a 5.0. I didnt realize that they changed selling to be limited only to elite. I actually still have everything but the cam.
  7. R

Dreaming of one mean 4.0: The Build up - Creager's 1992 Sport

You can go with the 422 cam, custom length rods and rockers w/ hardened tips (the weak point on the 4.0L). As far as a head, you really have nothing available except stock replacement castings (i.e. Alabama Cylinder Heads). I bought a set of those, ported the heck out of them, opened up the...
  8. R

I'm getting HORRIBLE gas mileage! Help me!

My 97 x had a bad hose going from the filler neck to the gas tank. It was leaking right out of the tube ever time I went up hill or even hit the gas hard! The design on the filler neck tube is much better on my 96 that thing ain't ever gonna leak.
  9. R

When to Change the Timing Chain?

I was asking because there are a few engines out there that have a "non-interfering" valve train in that if one or more valves are left open at maximum lift (i.e. the timing chain broke) the piston will never hit them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_Engines This references the Mazda...
  10. R

Check for low oil. It could also be leaky lifters or weak oil pressure.
  11. R

So the 302 is has an interference valve train?
  12. R

Mechanix's going solid.

I don't know that I can answer that question but are we goin wheelin when you get this crap all finished? I'm workin on mine too, sounds like you might be done before me.
  13. R

HHO: Is it alchemy? Or will it improve gas mileage on a ’99 4.0 SOHC Explorer?

Thanks, I literally just found that. TY for all the great info Al, may you RIP
  14. R

5R55E Gear Ratio - Conflicting Info

the bolt pattern is not the same, which is why we cannot bolt up a 4R70W (the 302 trans) to the 4.0 as many of us wish we could. The trans behind the 302 is MUCH stronger and has been in production decades longer. The 4r70w is a truck trans, same one behind the 5.0 in the F150 in the 90s. It was...
Back