Recent content by rgoers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by rgoers

1. R

Grinding noise

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the front bearings. They should be sealed, and I changed the right one about 10k ago. Running through the water probably didn't help. :( I'm pretty sure the ABS problem was simply a bad rear sensor. When I put a meter on it, is showed an open circuit. I...
  2. R

Grinding noise

My 2000 Sport has developed a grinding noise, and I can't figure out where it is coming from. It happens at speeds as low as 10-15 MPH... and sounds pretty bad. I thought it was the rear diff at first, so I went ahead and changed the fluids (full synthetic, to the tune of $80). The grinding...
  3. R

ABS Warning Light

Just replaced my rear sensor for an ABS light on. Light went off on its own. Old sensor = open circuit New sensor = 1800 ohms
  4. R

brown wire mod?

My experience is: when it kicks in, it usually kicks in hard - especially in snow. I can't believe that it could possibly be good for the system to slam into service while the RPMs are up high. I think it was a stupid design in the first place. People who rely on the 'system', to control...
  5. R

SOHC Tensioner & Intake Manifold Warranty

You're the exception, and I also must add; you're the kind of guy I like to BUY my used cars from! :D Anyway, in the context of a warrantee; I think, if it’s a defect, it’s a defect! What kind of garbage is it to put limits on time or mileage, when Ford knows they sent out defective...
  6. R

SOHC Tensioner & Intake Manifold Warranty

Who has a 6 year-old Explorer with less than 72k miles? That's crazy! A whole 12k a year... :rolleyes: What does Ford want you to do - park it and never drive anywhere? My 2000 has over 110k on it. Has the rattle at startup too. :mad:
  7. R

Disconnect IAC and truck runs GREAT!

Yeah, I knew what you meant. I was just repeating the measurement I got. I'm seriously *hoping* the unit is BAD!
  8. R

Buzzed it twice, with a good digital meter. Tried both polarities too, just in case there was a diode in there. Came out 26 ohms both times.
  9. R

There's a good 1/8" between the plunger and to where the IAC "would" be fully closed. I can grab the shaft with a needle-nose pliers and push it closed, but it just pops back open again when I let go. On the other hand, the throttle butterfly looks like it is closing completely. Not even a...
  10. R

HA!!! Good one. I normally buy *anything* NOT made in the USA, but thought I'd take a chance on a Ford after having such a good experience with my Nissan/Mercury Quest/Villager. I did next to nothing with that vehicle, and sold it with 247,000 miles, still running strong. Actually, the...
  11. R

Where should the plunger be normally (no power to it)? Mine sits open a little (maybe 1/16th inch) when I take it out and look at it. I'm assuming the rest position would be wide open, or closed, not "half-way open".
  12. R

The movie didn't want to play for me. I'm on a WinXP machine, but I do have fully registered QuickTime Player. Still... no workie. What's the IAC wooooo? Is that the issue with them making a hooting sound? Anyway, I get NO difference *at all* when I plug and unplug the IAC while the...
  13. R

Rear wiper doesn’t work

Mine would "try" to move, but it wouldn't. You could hear the motor trying, but the arm just jerked a bit. Giving it a tug worked. The only problem I had after that was the wiper didn't contact the window firmly enough to clean it well. I had to do a little "mod" with a file to fix that...
  14. R

I pulled a freeze frame on it from my ODBII reader. Says it's idling at 820 with the IAC disconnected. Funny thing is I have always had the high idle problem at startup, after tapping the gas, and when slowing down. I thought it was just characteristic of the truck. I didn't get my...
  15. R

Rear wiper doesn’t work

Limit switch problem? I have read about a very common Limit Switch issue with Explorer rear wipers. Mine did not work when I first bought my truck (used, 2000 sport). I grabbed the arm where it connects to the motor, and gave it a firm pull straight out (away from the rear door). The wiper...
Back