Recent content by ROBinGa | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by ROBinGa

1. R

Foam Rubber panel inside front fender

During my recent fix of sunroof drain that exits inside passenger fender I noticed there was a panel that is two pieces of foam rubber type material apparently glued to a stiff plastic piece that must provide support top to bottom. It was very loose and just lying in there and I removed it by...
  2. R

Not your typical sunroof drain leak...

I know this is a 5 year old thread but here's how I solved my leak from front passenger side sunroof drain onto passenger floorboard. First I diagnosed that the front drain on that side was not sending water through the lower rubber outlet shown in Tripp237 photos above. I also then snaked a...
  3. R

Intake manifolds 4.6l

If your engine is original 4.6 for year 2003 it takes a specific intake manifold and isn’t interchangeable with later years. If I recall when I replaced mine I could not find Dorman or aftermarket part and bought a Motorcraft one from an online Ford dealer. It was more expensive but worked...
  4. R

1A auto

Have used them several times. No problems at all. Parts were on par with those you can find at major retail auto parts chains.
  5. R

Front CV Axle questions

Ok thanks. It will be on jack stand and I’m guessing at an angle where it can’t run uphill.
  6. R

Front CV Axle questions

I have 2003 XLT 4.6 4x4. I noticed greenish grease globs on front driver side lower control arm and traced it to a split in the outer boot of CV Axle. Looks to have only recently started throwing out grease. Going to swap out that CV axle for a new one from Cardone. While checking out several...
  7. R

2004 Explorer front springs

Do a search here on the forum using - Front Strut Bolt - as the search words and you will find plenty giving you the Ford part numbers you are after
  8. R

2004 Explorer front springs

I suspect you have experienced the lower strut bolt seizing to the strut and having to cut yours off to remove. Been there and done that. My drivers side was fused solidly and had to cut it off to remove strut. I bought a Ford bolt and reused my nut with the “flag” attached to it. The bolt...
  9. R

Coolant leak.

You might also want to check the heater hoses that go into firewall. If those are original hoses and clamps they might be seeping. One of mine was and while engine running I could see the tiniest bit of coolant escaping. I took the old spring type clamp off and cinched it down with a band...
  10. R

2003 XLT 4.6 4x4 shield mounted on transfer case

It was $21 but I bought direct from a Ford dealer’s online store. I haven’t shopped it on eBay , etc... but the part number above is the correct one 4L2Z-7A434-AA
  11. R

2003 XLT 4.6 4x4 shield mounted on transfer case

I finally had good weather to be able to change out the skid plate/ shield. The part I ordered is a perfect fit and I was wrong, there are three 10 mm bolts that mount it to the transfer case and not 2. Easy to install it.
  12. R

5R55 oil analysis info from Blackstone labs-

My 2003 4.6 4x4 has 177k miles on the original trans fluid and filter. I bought a new filter couple years ago and an adapter for the fill plug, but am taking that “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” approach at this point. It’s been fine - knocks wood- so I don’t want to risk any changes.
  13. R

Cruise Control issue need advice - 2003 4.6 XLT

96fire - so the Off button on steering wheel controls does disable the cruise while engaged so the button does seem to be working. But I can’t figure how to enter the diagnosis mode. So is the procedure to hold the off button then while holding the off button turn key to on/run position? How...
  14. R

New style A/C Freon cans with self seal valve

That’s where I’ve bought the ones I’ve just used - near Cumming, Ga
  15. R

Cruise Control issue need advice - 2003 4.6 XLT

Hmm that might be, I’ll have to test it. There are no radio buttons and the on/off are on left side separated by the other buttons on the right side of steering wheel
Back