Recent content by scrivyscriv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by scrivyscriv

1. S

Garage rip-offs

Here's my little story.. I was working for a chain tire store years ago during college, as a service tech. One day a woman pulled up with some kind of road hazard claim on her tire. We pulled the car around, got the wheel off and started inspecting it. The service manager told me to stick a...
  2. S

AC Leak

best bet is to load the system with flourescent dye and check with a blacklight. The Auto Zone kit works pretty well. A big leak is not hard to find once you throw dye at it.
  3. S

Message center w/o EATC into base model

Thanks! I'll just keep looking then.
  4. S

Message center w/o EATC into base model

After looking at about thirty different Explorers and Mountaneers in all different trim levels, I came to a conclusion.. the message center was apparently only offered in combination with the digital EATC. Is that correct? I want to replace my base model Sport dash harness with the XLT or EB...
  5. S

Running Lean

A quick way to verify a vacuum leak.. hook up a scan tool and watch the fuel trims. With an intake leak you'll have high short and long term fuel trims (STFT & LTFT) at idle, and they will quickly drop down to around zero when you get around half throttle. "High" to me is anything over 10 or 15...
  6. S

EGR Tube Nut wont budge

Aerokroil has never let me down.. sometimes it takes a few days and a propane torch but it will eventually move. if you can get a socket on there, do it! a torque adapter style wrench would probably be a good fit. I'm not sure what size that nut is, so here's a generic Snapon link for the torque...
  7. S

CA Smog: 2 ppm over the HC limit

How is your fuel mileage?
  8. S

Assessment of my cost of ownership - 2001 XLT 4x4 V-6 SOHC

On a side note.. about what mileage did you replace those intake gaskets? I know everyone ends up needing them.. but I don't recall seeing any average mileage number when doing the job. Your costs per year sound great.. I think the 2nd gen Explorers have quite a lot going for them to make...
  9. S

P0141 p0147

Head gasket or cracked head. Sorry!!
  10. IMG_6755

IMG_6755

EVAP large leak
  11. IMG_6756

IMG_6756

12. IMG_6757

IMG_6757

13. Console harness

Console harness