Sgt1411 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sgt1411
Reaction score

• I know you've had both PIU and Explorer...did you notice a difference in the amount of body roll when in curves/cornering?
    Sgt1411
    Sgt1411
    I spoke with Bill Gubing the Chief Engineer about this. The Explorer Sport was born from a desire to have a PIU like vehicle for retail sales. The Sport and PIU have almost the exact same hardware. I was told what they did on the Sport was tune the EPAS , PTU, Transmission, and TMS all for a sportier response. The Sport handles better with 20" wheels and performance tires over the 18" narrow police tires and rimes.
    I can grab a spare PIU black horizontal tail gate trim piece from a cop unit. They do not come with the rear camera in SFPD.

My XLT has a camera. Do you know offhand if I can easily (DIY) detach the camera unit from my chrome version and attach it to a black one from a PIU that did not have a camera?

I posted on the site here but had no definitive response.

THANKS for any info. Stay safe.

Gary
    Sgt1411
    Sgt1411
    I looked at mine and its removable but your is older. I would go on Ford Parts.com and look up the part then see if they have an exploded view of the back area that shows how they fit together.

If it was me I would just get my chrome one powder coated.

I think the PIUtility ones are black plastic with no embossed logo if Im correct.
    Reactions: Eltee
    Eltee
    Eltee
    I MAY do that, there's a good powder coater in town. He normally blasts any surface he coats so he can strip off the paint.

Just thought it would be quick, easy, and cheap to swap it out for a PIU one. The Ford parts blow ups show the outside, not backside or details.

Thanks anyway, stay safe.
    Hey Sarge, what part of AZ do you have your 2nd place? My wife and I are considering Anthem as a final retirement town. A few friends from SFPD moved there and we were pretty impressed with the general Scottsdale / Anthem / Gold Canyon area.
    Sgt1411
    Sgt1411
    We bought in Goodyear because bang for the buck we couldn't beat it. There are 4 other cops I work with that bought in Estrella Mtn Ranch where I am and it's primarily because there is zero crime, zero ****heads, zero problems. Everything is new infrastructure and clean.
    Sgt1411
    Sgt1411
    Scottsdale is great if you can afford it, but we spent $250K to get 2500 sq ft on 12,000 sq ft lot 4 bedrooms 2 bath 32X16 pebble tech pool and hot tub built in 2007 on quiet culdesac.

In Scottsdale, $250K gets you an older house no pool or townhouse.

I love Scottsdale, just couldn't afford more there.
    Sgt1411
    Sgt1411
    Anthem and Gold Canyon I know nothing about.

Goodyear is also where all the Baseball Spring Training games are played, I can ride my bike to them. Also, we are 15 minutes away from PIR NASCAR track and I like NASCAR.
    Hey Sgt
    Joe from Chicago FD I ve got a 2015 xlt 3.5 and I love it ! I drive a 2012 interceptor at work I ve been trying to do some research on
    doing a few mod to my own , I ve been thinking about either adding a PTU cooler to my own it looks like the cover for the PTU cooler
    is obviously different along with adding the correct piping and lower radiator hose and outlets
    Sgt1411
    Sgt1411
    Hey Joe this messaging is only 400 letters so I messaged you with more info on Private Message
    Hi, Back in Oct. you were offering door handle covers. Are they still available?

I just bought a used 2013 XLT and would love to got to black door handles.

BTW, are you a cop? I'm a retired Lt.

Thanks, Gary
    Sgt1411
    Sgt1411
    Yes I'm a Sgt with Vancouver Police in BC Canada

I didn't have handle covers I had factory 2015 PEPS handles for a 2014/2015 Explorer Sport with PEPS (Passive Entry Passive Start)

I sold them on eBay for $300usd

Most on the forum have used Plasticoat and sprayed the handles black with good results.
    Reactions: Eltee
    Eltee
    Eltee
    Cool. My wife is a Canadian (Chatham, ONT) and we have several family members who are constables (Toronto, Hamilton, etc.). I was with San Francisco.

Stay safe my friend.
    Reactions: Sgt1411
    Sgt1411
    Sgt1411
    San Fran would be a very difficult City to be LEO in. Too many dope smoking hippies for me, Vancouver has half the city made up of offshore Asian immigrants who don't speak English and the other half hippies who ride bikes. It's bad enough Canada has a Drama Teacher for a Prime Minister. That's why I bought a house in AZ and spend as much time as I can there.
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
Zip Code
Vehicle Specs
YES
Engine
3.0L V6 Twin Turbo EcoBoost
Year
Transmission
10 spd selectshift auto
Transfer Case
4X4
Lighting
OEM LED
Tires
Pirelli Scorpion
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Wheels
21" ST Performance OEM high gloss black
Audio/Video and Navigation
Navigation & DVD
Communications
SYNC3
Accessories
ThinkWare F200 Dual DashCam

Signature

2021 Explorer ST, Carbonized Gray/Charcoal Interior, SYNC3 Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Captain Chairs & Console, OEM DVD Package: Technology Package, ST Performance Package, 35% Tint Fronts, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels & TMPS,ThinkWare Q800PRO F/R Dashcam,: Ford Performance 93 Tune :usa: :ca:
Back