Recent content by skpyle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by skpyle

1. S

Take 3 - 1999 Mercury Mountaineer

Spudhut, I just did this job back in December. Koda is very right. Combination of rotating the bolts, angling the bolts, and pushing/pulling the ends of the driver’s side UCA got the bolts out one at a time without TOO much fuss. It wasn’t fun, but it was doable. Good Luck!
  2. S

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited

Something to keep in mind, you will need the correct front driveshaft. If you are going AWD, you will need the drive shaft from a 5.0L/AWD Explorer. If you are going 4406, you will need whatever drive shaft is called for by the conversion guides. The V-6/4WD front drive shafts are the wrong...
  3. S

No, it would not. I love my AWD!
  4. S

sct x4????

James was straight up helpful in setting up a tune for my Explorer back at the end of 2013. The same tune which is still running today. No surprises from James.
  5. S

2000 Mountaineer - Whine on acceleration - Quiet as a mouse on deceler

Hello pjfsail, I have a question that is not necessarily related to your whine, but could point to an impending problem. Does your Mountaineer have a 5.0L V-8 engine? If so, you have AWD and the Borg Warner 4404 single speed transfer case. You mentioned the transfer case oil was overful and...
  6. S

410, the way MY luck goes, you are probably right.
  7. S

Sorry Koda, that wasn’t necesarily directed towards you. I noticed 410Fortune said ‘all’, so I wanted to chime in. Did not mean to be confusing. I really WISH my Explorer had come with LSD. Would have saved me a great deal of money.
  8. S

Sorry guys, I've got to burst your bubble on that one. My 99 5.0L Limited AWD came with open 3.73's at both ends. I decoded the sticker on the door, 46 for rear axle, 3.73 non-limited slip, instead of D4, 3.73 limited slip. Of course I put a rebuilt Traction-Lok differential in the rear end...
  9. S

Difference between 99-2000?

RandomNerd2000, for what it is worth, I checked on Rock Auto.com and on NapaProlink.com. Both list the same part numbers for rear disc brake pads for 1999 & 2000 Explorer 5.0L. Post photos of the brake pads you took off, please.
  10. S

Take 3 - 1999 Mercury Mountaineer

Hello Spudhut! I installed this interface when I installed a Sony double-din touchscreen head unit in my 1999 Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD. It works well enough. However, it does not recognize the separate up/dwn volume control buttons on the steering wheel. It sees them as the same button. I have...
  11. S

Radiator Recommendation?

Go with the Spectra. My 99 5.0L AWD came stock with a single row radiator. I installed a new Spectra CU 1824 radiator in 2014. That one was a two row. My Explorer has ZERO issues keeping its cool. That radiator is quite large. Good Luck!
  12. S

99 5.0L Balancer/Synchronizer timing WAY out...

Unfortunately, the piston stop I made that didn't work got disassembled immediately afterword and the component pieces trashed or put back where they belonged.
  13. S

My new 347

You are quite welcome! I am always tinkering, and can't leave well enough alone on my Explorer. Hence the remote filter and extra cooler.
  14. S

My new 347

Glad to help, Dono. Look at the photo of my filter for reference: I mounted it to the frame rail just in front of the black plastic trim that covers the bottom of the core support, radiator, and A/C condenser. I think there were two holes there already and I added a third. it is tight, but I...
  15. S

My new 347

Very good point, vroomzoombomm. These rivet nuts are aluminum. I squeezed the h*ll outta the installation tool. Actually, I bent the installation tool, but that is neither here nor there. The bolts I used are new cad plated, and I coated them with antiseize. Hopefully they won't be an issue...
Back