Recent content by slaughterrt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by slaughterrt

1. S

2011 XLT Tire/Rim “Upgrade”

A couple years ago, I bought my wife a 2011 XLT. Beautiful car and we both like it a lot. It’s her daily driver around town and great for the kids. However, one thing I don’t care for from a functionality perspective, is the 20” rim / 255-50-20 combo on highway tires. With the NJ winter on the...
  2. S

I'm Baaaaaack

Well guys, it has been a while since I have posted. My 99 XLT finally crapped the bed in late 2015. It gave me 220k+ miles and never really left me stranded. However, the timing chain guards finally gave out and were rattling pretty bad. It was still running at the time, but I didn't feel like...
  3. S

Considering engine swap from 4.0 SOHC...

I have 220k on my 1999 SOHC and it's giving me problems with the timing chains.
  4. S

rookie mistake

I would sell the parts car and look to buy another donor car. Easiest way.
  5. S

Truck won't start. Need some help.

It's the timing chains... Got back from being out of town today. First thing I did was start the Ex. It started flawlessly...except for the horrible rattle. I dove in and removed the lower oil pan. It was what I was dreading. Several orange pieces of the timing chain guides. I'm happy that...
  6. S

Apologies for not being specific with the truck details. I feel like I have been posting so much lately and I sometimes have the old brain fart. Yes it's 1999 XLT 4.0 SOHC - 4WD - 220k miles - auto transmission. I solved the overheating issue from last year - was a bad thermostat. I...
  7. S

Now I am a bit confused. I went to try to start the truck and it started. There is some rattling in the motor now, and I'm a bit concerned. It's louder if I take the oil cap off when it's running (if that helps diagnose anything). I'm hoping that I'm not up **** creek here.
  8. S

Also found the No Start checklist thread. Gonna try that out too.
  9. S

99 Explorer XLT with pretty much everything inside the engine bay is stock. I noticed yesterday that when I got to work, there was a lot of smoke coming from under the truck. Turns out that oil was leaking onto the cat converter and burning off. I didn't have much time then ton look into it, but...
  10. S

DIY No Weld Roof Rack

Yep...I wish I had a welder and one day I will...but until then, gotta make do with what I can. I made a decent basket rack with conduit as well. Link is in signature. I do like the flooring of the rack, since I have no flooring.
  11. S

Anyone interested in ac to 2nd alternator brackets

This is intriguing. If there is enough interest, I may be in.
  12. S

And then there was light...

The switches are nothing to be excited about. I took the stock fog lights out of my bumper years ago. I just have the relay wired to the stock push button fog light switch. Nothing too exciting or fun, but hidden. And it makes sure I won't be able to accidentally leave them on somehow, because...
  13. S

2002 XLT 4.0 4WD 4D - Part out or salvage or ?

How handy are you with a welder and cutting torch? You could turn it into a mean rig if the important things are still in tact (motor/tranny/frame/etc). Is there any other structural damage or damage inside the motor bay? Is it just cosmetic stuff and body work or what? Just trying to gauge if...
  14. S

And then there was light...

Don't tell anyone, but they are just off brand 100W Daylighters. I think I got them for $25 a pair. That was a couple years ago so the price may have gone up a little. But the covers are legit. :D
Back