Recent content by Spuddy | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Spuddy

1. S

Broken handle on the outside of the rear hatch.

I do recommend watching the above video. Solved a number of issues for me. Real nice demo on how to get the panel off with the hatch closed. Nice demo of how to move the latch to open it once you have the panel off and access to the latch. Pretty clear video of the rod attaching to the handle...
  2. S

Rear bottom shock bolt needed - what years / Ford models interchangeable

Look what I just found... Bolt 1995-2005 Ford N804641-S301 Replaced By- N804641-S439 https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-bolt_-n804641-s301.html Nut 1994-2007 Ford N806496-S301 Replaced By- N806496-S441...
  3. S

Loose gear shifter... and what is this bolt?

The bolts are M6x1.0 x 20mm. As stated two posts above...
  4. S

Is my fuel pump bad 1999 ford explorer shoc 4.0. Lots of pictures on the replacement

If you wanted test your pump BEFORE dropping the tank, put your multimeter set for resistance across pin 6 and 7, which are the middle two on the bottom row in the photo above, and if it shows 10 ohms or less the pump is still good.. More than 10 ohms, or most likely infinite, and the pump is...
  5. S

SOLVED

Very nice service record. I should do that! Some of those are too often and others are not often enough. Attached is the factory service maintenance interval manual. Personally, I agree with some of it. Specifically: Plugs @ every 100K Fuel filter @ every 30K Oil change & filter @ every 5K...
  6. S

Rattling noise from engine compartment

^Spot on advise from fast_dave... A/C compressor also runs on bi-level (floor and vent) setting - in other words, in all settings except heat, vent and off. The moisture will accumulate in the dryer and rust it out. Ask me how I know. The SOHC is well known for poorly engineered chain...
  7. S

Stuck - Remove EGR Tube to Remove Upper Intake

For anyone else in the same boat, and just to follow up... It was painfully slow and awkward with the extension and crows foot, which kept falling off. Keep your telescoping magnet handy.
  8. S

Rockauto.com 5% discount code thru May 19, 2019

Thank you for being a RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you. Your discount code is: 10465041797466957 How to Use Your Discount Code Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" box without any other numbers or characters. Please...
  9. S

No, I needed to update my profile [update - done now] I crashed the 98 SOHC just before Thanksgiving. I've got a new black 2000 xls with the OHV motor now - 89K on the truck! My problem is exactly the same as described in this thread. First attempt was two days ago. Second attempt was...
  10. S

I'm stuck. Really stuck. Trying to get the upper intake off, but the EGR is trying to kill me. Upper tube is stuck but stuck inside the upper intake. Remove throttle body spray the heck out of it, nothing. So I figure I'll take the EGR off so I can get access to the nuts for the bracket for...
  11. S

dreamr's explorer goes away :( got some random parts laying around

Anything left? Just got another one and just my even be interested in those stock shackles !
  12. S

Is it really the intake manifold gaskets?

Oh... you have a 98 just like mine. You probably also want to do the chain tensioner that is included in 00M12 service notice/kit and while you have your manifold off you can look for your slow coolant leak at the top of and around where your sensors are located. Ask me how I know... Do some...
  13. S

Is it really the intake manifold gaskets?

The rough idle is probably still the intake manifold gaskets. Auto lamps on your mirror is what controls your automatic headlights. The switch gets wonky over he years. I ended up just unplugging mine at the mirror.
  14. S

Transmission filter change on a 4x4

Whenever you do drop your pan, install a drain plug for next time.
Back