Recent content by Tom Howard | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Tom Howard

1. T

U.S. Expands Probe Into Ford Explorers Over Carbon Monoxide Concerns

CO does not have any odor at all, so you can't rely on your nose to detect it.
  2. T

I got zero at my furnace and water heater. They have exhaust stacks so should be zero. I have measured CO in the garage after I started a car (garage door open) and got around 30 ppm.
  3. T

KayGee> "What kind of readings were you seeing after hard acceleration and how quickly did it dissipate? Did your meter provide total and average exposure over a longer time period of driving? If so, what kind of total and average results did you find after some longer periods of driving." The...
  4. T

KayGee: I have a Sensorcon Inspector, and I see their website now mentions the Explorer on their home page. This is a meter with a response time of 5 seconds, which is necessary because the results from hard acceleration dissipate quickly. Like you note, a home type CO alarm (as opposed to...
  5. T

Thank you very much for your reports. I'm going to schedule mine for the TSB update. I've measured as high as 19 ppm CO along with the smell after hard acceleration. By the way, were you really using a co2 detector or a co detector? They are often confused. CO is what you want to detect in...
  6. T

From my experience, Ford does not provide loaner cars. I also own a Lexus, and they always give a loaner no matter what. It used to be that the Lexus cost way more than a Ford, and part of the higher cost is loaner cars. But my 2016 Explorer Platinum is in the same price range as a Lexus GX...
  7. T

SYNC2 Map Update - Version A8

It's bad enough to have to pay $150 for map upgrades, but they say "Standard shipping $ 29.95". For a microSD card the size of a thumbnail. But hey, free shipping through July!
  8. T

Explorer Carbon Monoxide CO Detector Install

Regarding CO meters: The type used in a house is slow to respond and averages levels over time. It's fine to keep you safe at home, but not the ideal choice for this sort of measurement in a car. You need something like a Sensorcon CO inspector. It'll show you whether you have momentary...
  9. T

LG V10 Connection Issue

If it helps, I have an LG V20 connected to an 2016 Explorer platinum with no problems.
  10. T

MFT Update V3.10

Looking back at earlier posts, I see VHR was added at one point. I wonder if I grabbed it before the update. ** Update: next time I ran it from the touch screen it worked. This updated the Ford website to show the software update. I haven't been able to run VHR via voice command, though...
  11. T

MFT Update V3.10

I installed this 5 days ago. Today I tried to run Vehicle Health Check. It tells me it can't be run until the odometer is over 200 miles. The odometer is at 13,000. I've run the check successfully before the update. Anyone else see this? (I probably have driven less than 200 miles since...
  12. T

MFT Update V3.10

I installed this on my 2016 Platinum with no problems. The screen shows 3.10 now. The only difference I noticed (I didn't look too deep) was that when I sync the clock with GPS it's correct now. On 3.08, when I did that it was 2 minutes slow. I had to manually set the hour ahead for daylight...
  13. T

Air conditioned seats-backrest not working?

In my 2016 manual it says there's a seat filter, but it's not replaceable. There's another thread somewhere about this and I posted some thermal images. The seat back cooling on my 2016 is just about non-existent, even after having the TSB performed. Some report theirs works fine. "Climate...
  14. T

TSB 16-0080. 2016 Explorer Seat Cooling TSB - Backs of seats fail to cool properly

I took it in this week, and the shop installed blower fans for the seat backs, which I guess is what Ford left out when they built it. The result is underwhelming. Yeah, there is some sign of cooling now, but it's a whopping 2 degrees difference, which is basically nothing. Can't feel...
  15. T

Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration.

An odor inside the car doesn't mean exhaust got inside the car. There are many sources of odors which aren't from the exhaust. That's why I want to check whether there's CO when the odor occurs.
Back