Recent content by trueblue02 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by trueblue02

1. T

Custom fab rock sliders

Next steps! After getting the mockups and measurements done, I was able to start cutting and fitting pieces. I used 3x2 angle iron for the frame pads, and decided on 4 supports as that fit best in the frame. Mocking up the supports with the tubes I was able to get the fit much tighter...
  2. T

Custom fab rock sliders

Hello Explorerforum! Ive been learning to weld and wanted to put my skills to use on a project. I'm building a set of rock sliders as right now i just have the plastic cladding and the pinch welds already got damaged. I've decided to use 1-3/4" diameter .120" wall tubing for the sliders, and...
  3. T

ON HOLD Explorer XLT 1993 4 Door, 5 Speed, 4WD

David, Still have the Explorer and are looking to sell? The transmission on my 2000 XLT went out after a road trip and I'm looking to get back into a manual 1st gen. I had a '91 that got to about 260k when I was college. PM me if you still have it.
  4. T

98 Sport 1st gear Trans Problem Help

To help with possibly determining a solution I will post up my experience as well: I lost first gear on a camping trip after driving up a steep hill. After driving back down and getting on the highway all felt fine, then as I stopped for a light the trans dropped into neutral and I had to...
  5. T

2000 Explorer XLT Overlanding Build

We got a bunch from the trip! We explored a bunch in the pacific northwest and through the Rockies to the southwest as well. Here's a shot from our campsite in the Hoh River valley in Washington: And our drive north into the Canadian Rockies: That's mount Robson, the tallest mountain in...
  6. T

I'm Back! Got really busy with the final preparations and didn't have time to post before leaving, but I got back a couple days ago and it was an awesome trip! Tons of cool back roads, beautiful campsites, and plenty of hiking! I ended up getting BFG AT KO2's in 265/75/16 so about 31.5"...
  7. T

Sounds nice! Yeah they're the 16 "teardrop" style I think. I really like the look of them, but it would be nice to have an 8" wide wheel instead of 7" like they are. Right now the fender flares come out past the wheels by a bit over 1", so I think it would look better with a wider stance to...
  8. T

Bummer, from the trip? I'll try again...
  9. T

Bonus shot from our drive in! This was above Hume Lake in the Sequoia national forest. Much softer driving than my last trip to death valley. Pine needles make for a smooth ride compared to pointy rocks!
  10. T

Hey y'all, Been super busy with work and getting everything together for the trip so haven't posted in a while but I'll update now! After doing the drawer I went up to Sequoia national park and had a great time exploring around there and seeing the Big Trees. Took a few service roads into our...
  11. T

Jeff is it an open top rack? I'm probably looking more towards cargo boxes for the aerodynamics and rain protection. I got the drawer built this week! Also managed to change the front diff fluid and will be doing a few other tune up items over the next month or two. The fuel mileage has...
  12. T

Thanks Worms! I think I got lucky with the color as you don't always get to pick with used cars, I was just looking for the lowest mile best service history one I could find. This was grandpa owned and almost always taken to the dealer :) For the lift I was looking on rockauto and it looks...
  13. T

Hey y'all, So I am starting to get more into overlanding and back country camping trips, and want to track the progress of my new-to-me explorer as I build it for a cross country road trip this summer. I originally wanted to do the trip in my 91, but the transmission has been slowly eating...
  14. T

Road Trip/Overlanding project, Keep 1st gen or go 2nd gen?

I like the sound of the dual core rad too! Think I'll add that to the list before it get's too hot
  15. T

Road Trip/Overlanding project, Keep 1st gen or go 2nd gen?

Resurrecting this thread.... It was a busy end to 2017! With work picking up and family holiday duties the time really flew by! Managed to get away for a bit to Death Valley over new years though, took a nice route along the Saline Valley Road to the Eureka Sand Dunes and stopped at the warm...
Back