Recent content by Twisted1 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by Twisted1

1. T

My 97 SOHC 5 speed swapped sport street/drag build

Input and output shaft bearings, both seals also, synchro's had some wear and the reverse gears had some broken teeth. The new slave cyl started leaking and I pulled the tranny to address that when I saw how much tranny fluid was leaking. So I dove into it a bit more and came to the conclusion...
  2. T

Truck is out of winter storage! We've had a string of exceptionally nice (warm) weather here so I pulled the Sport of of storage a few weeks ago. It still has the timing chain issue but I was hoping to bandaid it long enough to get it to the track before tearing it down again. ALMOST MADE IT TO...
  3. T

Couple pics of my lowered 2wd sport

Wheels I haven't had a chance to do anything but put the wheels and slicks away for the season. I was focusing on getting the engine where I wanted it and dyno tuned. (Hit the exact HP I was shooting for) and then the next day I had the notorious timing guide failure. So I somewhat put that...
  4. T

As long as the timing chain stays in place it will make it to the track. My biggest road block is that I have 3 other projects going on at the same time so I can only dedicate just so much time to one before moving onto the next. I'm trying to keep forward momentum going on all of them so none...
  5. T

It's running! Sorta So I messed with the truck a bit and got the timing chain to free up (it had gotten bound and locked the engine) I actually even drove it home tonight from the shop since the exhaust is all off my daily driver and it seems to have most of the power back again. It still...
  6. T

It's not a matter of doing the timing chains, it's the fact that the engine is coming back out over winter anyways so I can port/polish the heads, do the updated chains and swap the tranny. I've rushed and given up sleep all summer to get where it is now and I don't want to pull the engine two...
  7. T

Yup, nothing made contact so my engine is fine at least. I'd had them on the "to do list" for the winter already but damn it... lol, would have been nice to have gotten one night at the track under my belt before tearing it apart again.
  8. T

And it's official, truck is going away for the winter already. Jumped timing on my lunch break and has no power. So close to getting the time slip and numbers I wanted just to have a stupid plastic tensioner screw me over. I'm going to go beat my head against a wall for a while.
  9. T

Murphy's law..... Well the truck may not make it to the track this year at all. My timing chain guide decided NOW would be the perfect time to let go with no warning. The engine has 118,000 miles on it so it's right in the ball park of needing them. No gradual noise like usual though so I'm...
  10. T

Yes, 4th gear pull. 3.73 rear, 4cyl ranger gearing in my transmission and a 26.5" tall tire
  11. T

Dyno video Here's the last pull that we got the 220hp on https://youtu.be/kJqox4ELjF8
  12. T

I'm shooting for low 14's, my tuner thinks it should run in the 13's. Shoot for 14's and if it dips into 13's it's a bonus.
  13. T

No he left it at 20° for the first pull, went to 27° on the second pull, which it did not like. Then stepped it back to 25° on the third pull. The last pull he decided to try taking one more degree out and see how it reacted. So now I know between 20-24° of timing is where the engine wants to be...
  14. T

Dyno sheet Dyno sheet from the final pull
  15. T

Dyno numbers are in! Worked my ass off on the truck this week and it all paid off today. 91° air temp with 25% humidity. 220 hp and 256 tq! Dead on my guestimate. Couldn't be happier right now. The tuner said he was impressed with the homework I did and specific parts I chose to use. I...
Back