Recent content by WallaceMI | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by WallaceMI

1. W

'17 Explorer noise issue when apply brakes if go from park to reverse

Hi, I have a 2017 Ford Explorer 4WD (~70k miles) with the following noise issue when I apply the brakes after I switch from Drive to Reverse (or from Reverse to Drive). - Noise sounds like a clunk or slightly metallic - When car was in drive, then in park and then in reverse, car starts...
  2. W

Humming / whooping noise when I turn left

So strange observation when I was driving today: the noise is gone! How can that be if the bearing is on the way out. I tried different speed and turning radiuses and I couldn't hear it today at all. Could it also come from the tire or brake? I'm confused.
  3. W

I uploaded 2 videos: Youtube Video 1 YouTube Video 2 It's not super loud in the video (more noticeable if you sit in the car) but you can hear it when I start turning. Frequency goes up and down with vehicle speed. Seems to be when the vehicle tilts due to speed / turning. As I said, I can't...
  4. W

Hi, I have 2017 Ford Explorer 4WD with 67k miles on it. Recently I notice a whooping / humming noise when I turn left (at slight steering angle input already). I live in Michigan. Here my observations: 1. Is most noticeable at 40 mph already at small left turn steering wheel angle input 2. I...
  5. W

Coolant change. Which color?

That what I thought as well. They charged me $224 for flush which is quite premium for such a poor "flush".
  6. W

Here some pictures of the current state (should this not look follow Yellow after a dealer coolant flush?):
  7. W

Dealer just told me that they use the yellow coolant now but my coolant reservoir looks currently more like a mix out or orange and some yellow coolant.
  8. W

Hi, I picked up yesterday my 2017 Ford Explorer 2.3L from the dealer after an oil change and coolant flush. My Explorer came from the factory with the orange coolant and I ran it for ~60k miles. The invoice from the dealer says SFW Coolant Flush - Green Coolant. Today I wanted to check the...
  9. W

60,000 Mile Service / Recommendations

Thanks for the advice. I assume when the Ford dealer refilled the fluid during the PTU seal replacement. Agree $600 is not too bad especially about how much a big repair could be. Did you do transmission flush or simple drain and replace fluid (which I would prefer)? Will have to look into...
  10. W

60,000 Mile Service / Recommendations

Hi, I have a 2017 Ford Explorer AWD with the 2.3L EcoBoost and coming up to the 60.000 miles. I plan to let the dealer do the following: Oil / filter change Transmission Fluid Change (no flush) <-- does someone know how much dealers charge for this approx.? I'm also considering the following...
  11. W

21S32 // Rear Toe Link Replacement parts in stock at dealer?

Did anyone succeflly performed the toe link replacement at a local dealer yet? The recall notice said that parts are not in stock at time of notification but should in stock "PARTS ARE NOT CURRENTLY AVAILABLE TO COMPLETE THIS REPAIR. PARTS ARE ANTICIPATED TO BE AVAILABLE BEGINNING THE END OF...
  12. W

2017 Ford Explorer Leaky PTU?

Dropped of my Explorer at the Ford dealer yesterday. They say they only found some residue on the passenger side half shaft and will because of that replace the PTU seal covered under PT warranty. They also said the PTU was still full. Bit surprised since I clearly see the black fluid on the...
  13. W

Thanks for the reply. @all Did anyone agree that this is a leaky PTU?
  14. W

Slight underbody smell 2017 Ford Explorer

Change my tires today and found fluid on the PTU: Picture of fluid on PTU
  15. W

So I recently smelled a foul / burn smell from my Explorer (~50k miles) but couldn’t find any leaks from the engine, diff or trans. however I just change tires and discovered the following: Leaky PTU? is this the famous leaky PTU? Should this be covered still under Powertrain Warranty? If...
Back