Recent content by whimsey | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent content by whimsey

1. W

2017 explorer sport front skid plate/splash guard?

We have a bought new 2017 2.3 EcoBoost Explorer and it did not come with the shield under the engine. It's wide open underneath. Being the 4 cylinder the PTU doesn't get as hot as the 6 cylinder. After 25,000 miles the PTU oil looks new and the magnet is almost totally clean. I've been using...
  2. W

Purchased 2017 Explorer with 6F35 - Shutters badly

If you used Mercon V, that is incorrect, you should have used Mercon LV for the 6F35 transmission. I have a 2017 Explorer with the 6F35 transmission and I use Mercon LV or Ford licensed substitutes of Mercon LV. Also if at 108,000 miles it still had the factory transmission fluid some damage may...
  3. W

Limp mode problems after throttle body and plugs...

I doubt this is your issue, but the 3.5 EcoBoost plugs should be set to .033-.037, not the .052 you used. The .052 is for the non EcoBoost 3.5 plugs. Good luck with finding the issue.
  4. W

2017 hard shifting

We have a 2017 XLT with the 2.3 EB. I've changed the fluid 4 times in 77,000 miles. It shifts fine. There was a recall to reprogram the transmission shifting to help with the torque convertor. It's suppose to help keep the transmission from abrupt shifts and banging/clanking. We had the recall...
  5. W

Dealership misleading me about coolant intrusion in cylinders?

We have a 2017 with the 2.3 EB. The water pump developed a leak at around 15,000 miles, the dealer replaced. It's an external water pump that doesn't leak coolant into the engine like the 3.5 can. I replaced the spark plugs myself at 60,000 miles, not out of need but I didn't want them to seize...
  6. W

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Took our 2017 Explorer to the dealer 2 weeks before the 5 years hood corrosion warranty was up. They ordered a new hood and we had it replaced. They sent it to a local body shop that did a really good job in matching the metallic paint. The corrosion was on the drivers side of the hood, not the...
  7. W

OBD Code P0306

How many miles on the Explorer? There is a good chance it's a bad coil or wire. Try swapping the coil to another cylinder to see if you get a code on that cylinder.
  8. W

Bought 2019 Explorer Limited after returning Edge lease, good decision?

We have a 2017 XLT with the 2.3 EB. Currently has 75,000 miles and it runs great, plenty of power and decent gas mileage. We did have to replace the water pump due to a gasket leak early on. It was under warranty, but if we had to pay for it it would have been cheap as it's an external mounted...
  9. W

Water pump under Warranty, should I do anything else ?

Ask how much to replace the timing chains since they already have it apart. It's got to be a lot cheaper than replacing them at a later date when they have to tear it apart again. That is if you are panning to keep it for a while.
  10. W

Transmission Fluid Changes

We have a 2017 XLT 4X4 with the 2.3 EB and a 2005 4.6 Eddie Bauer. Changing the ATF in the 2017 is a breeze to do in the driveway, the 2005, NOT! I drive the 2017 onto ramps the night before I'm going to change it and leave the new fluid outdoors with it. The next morning I drain cold 4 quarts...
  11. W

Tune up time

Even if the plugs are good for 100,000 miles the issue can be removing the steel plugs from an aluminum head after 100,000 miles. There is a chance of the plugs damaging the threads in the aluminum head upon removal. The factory plugs are installed "dry". Upon recommendation from a tech at a...
  12. W

Front cover oil leak

We have a 2017 with the 2.3EB and it had to have the front cover resealed twice in 60,000 miles. It's a $1500 job at the dealer! both were covered under warranty. If it happens again at least we have the Ford ESP for 7 years 125,000 miles so it'll cost us the $100 deductible only. I'm sure they...
  13. W

Trans fluid replace interval?

We have a bought new 2017 with the 2.3 EB. The tranny is a lighter duty version of yours, it's the 6F35. While it says it's "good" for 150,000 miles according to Ford I changed the factory fill at 12,000 miles and it was black with silver bands. I changed it again at 22,000 miles and it was...
  14. W

2016 Ford Explorer rattle

Our 2017 XLT has the same rattle location. Ours rattles more the faster you go. I'm thinking it's most likely from the cowling molding. At 57,000 miles it developed a new rattle in the drivers door. Plus there are other rattles in the vehicle, none that are super annoying enough to pay to try to...
  15. W

Buy back tips

Unfortunately even the Premium ESP doesn't cover water leaks. Ask me how I know :angryfire:. Whimsey
Back