Third gen Explorer: which year best to buy used? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Third gen Explorer: which year best to buy used?

84FLH

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey all;

Would like to hear opinions on what year 3rd gen is best and what year(s) to avoid. I know this is 2nd gen forum. My 2000 Mounty is 2nd gen and some guys here have helped me with questions before. I figure those guys and the others here know more than I ever will about 1, 2, 3 Gen; so I'm putting my question out there for your knowledge and experience.

The 3nd gen forum on this board noted transmission and rear diff troubles are common to 2005 model year. That's the kind of info I'm looking for.

Don't want anything to do with TB suspension. I understand 2002 year has coil overs up front. +1 for 2002 year.

Want to stick with 4.0 SOHC for the gas mileage. My Mounty gets 20 highway, 16.5 city. +1 for 4.0 SOHC.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 99 V8 got 16.5 city with 19.5 highway and it had a 5" lift and literally was running original spark plugs at 160k miles. I wouldn't fear the V8's. The SOHC had tons of issues with timing chains and all that junk. Just something to think about.

Check out carcomplaints.com. They rated the 2002 the "worst of the worst" do primarily to transmission problems. I have no idea if/when Ford fixed these issues and the SOHC V6's are problematic due to timing chain issues. Personally I wouldn't buy a 3rd Gen Explorer. IMO the best feature was third row seat if you need it. Plenty of better vehicles out there to chose from.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/

Thanks guys...

I started researching my own question after I posted it. Found so much material on the 'net that I tried to delete this post. Couldn't find the "delete" button.

Koda, I stumbled on carcomplaints.com about 10 mins ago. I'm all over it. Thank you.

I've heard that the 3rd gen Explorers are among the worst for reliability - lots of differential problems, 5R55 transmssion problems, and SOHC engine problems. All 3rd gen Explorers had a variant of the crappy 5R55 transmission.

Unfortunate, because this is actually my favorite body style of Explorer and the 4.6 liter V8 is excellent.

My opinion would be to stick with a 2nd gen or 4th gen Explorer with the V8. 4th gen Explorers w/ V8 got the 6R transmission which was the same as Expeditions and F-150s of the era - much better than the 5R. Either way, fuel economy between the V6 and V8's are a wash. Worth getting the V8 for extra ability and reliability. The 4th gen Explorers actually were rated higher in fuel economy with the V8 compared to the V6!

I personally like the 302ci V8. Back when I was playing with Fox Body Mustangs, these were a treasure trove to upgrade the old 302s. From what I hear, they average about the same as far as gas mileage. I am not much of a fan of the 4.0L SOHC, especially the plastic intake manifolds. I prefer the classic Ford OHV engine design over the newer OHC engines they now have. I could take the old Ford small block engines apart in no time at all. I have had good luck with the OHV 4.0L in my old 94' Mazda Navajo 2WD 5-speed. I was getting mid 20s MPG which I had to prove to myself over and over because I could not believe it. I am not sure which year Explorer had the 4.6L V8. I had a 2001 Ford police cruiser with the 4.6L and had no problems (other than being gutless) but did not own it long enough to have knowledge of the 4.6L. Either choice that you pick, I believe Ford used the 5R55E transmission on those years. I have some beefs with the valve body design and overall reliability of those units. I would say buy a Chevrolet but Explorers and F150s are a dime a dozen. Especially ones that are in need of a transmission.

Thanks everyone....

....for your replies.

Carcomplaints site says 1996-2001 Explorers are the best. I didn't look at 4th or later generation Explorers on the carcomplaints site. Still have more research to do.

My 2000 Mounty has 301,x.. with orig engine, trans, diffs, xfer case, radiator, etc. Timing chain cassette replaced at 235,000 and there's no more chain rattle. I get 16.5 city and 20 to 20.5 highway. Upshifts/downshifts well. Radio and overhead displays don't work, rear passenger window doesn't work, dash light near gas display is out, oil press gauge not working (new sending unit didn't fix so must be trouble with circuit board in dash display), rust over rear wheels, new Sensatracs last February.

The Sensatracs ride very harsh over bumpy/washboard type surfaces. Plan to replace them Ford OEM's. Suspension components on this vehicle are "used to" Ford OEM's because that's what was on the vehicle for 285,000 miles before I put the Monroe's on.

Except for cold start issues due likely to fuel pump this vehicle always starts, drives, runs, stops very well for 301,x.. miles. But it needs enough work that I'm thinking about a replacement. Budget up to $7500 but would rather spend less; around $5,000.

Found this today. Not crazy about the V8 mileage, though.
http://nwct.craigslist.org/cto/5446225895.html

The Sensatracs ride very harsh over bumpy/washboard type surfaces. Plan to replace them Ford OEM's. Suspension components on this vehicle are "used to" Ford OEM's because that's what was on the vehicle for 285,000 miles before I put the Monroe's on.

Sensatracs are about as soft and compliant as it gets for an Explorer. I wonder if you're just comparing the ride of worn out OEM to new Sensatracs and would end up with essentially the same ride replacing them, except more dampening, slightly harsher ride over smaller bumps.

^ Can't agree more JC. Sensa Tracs, now renamed and redesigned as OE Spectrum, are among the softest riding aftermarket shocks available. Only shock softer may be Monroe's entry level Monro-Matic plus blue colored shocks. I'm just curious with over 300k on the suspension if your torsion bars and leaf springs are weakened enough to be bottoming out on the bump stops. Find a level surface with your normal load, check travel distance, and report back.

I had 260k on my first 3rd gen, developed a knock so I got an 02 limited with the 4.6 - $1000 out the door, can't beat it with a stick. That said, I need to replace the intake manifold as it leaks a hair into the spark plug and throws a code every now and then, nothing catastrophic though. The v8s came with the 5r55w, pretty easy to drop the pan and replace the filter if needed - might be worth looking into a remote tranny filter kit, lowers the temp, adds a quart to the capacity, and extra filtration

I wouldn't be afraid of them, I had a 1999 xlt, and the limited blows it out of the water

^ Can't agree more JC. Sensa Tracs, now renamed and redesigned as OE Spectrum, are among the softest riding aftermarket shocks available. Only shock softer may be Monroe's entry level Monro-Matic plus blue colored shocks.
I'm just curious with over 300k on the suspension if your torsion bars and leaf springs are weakened enough to be bottoming out on the bump stops. Find a level surface with your normal load, check travel distance, and report back.

Good point. TB's and leafs are, indeed, original. Will check for bottoming out.

Question. Could adjusting both TB's to eliminate rear end sag of approx 2" cause TB's to be de-tortioned enough to allow bottoming out on bump stops? That's what front end tech did when he aligned my front end after putting on new tires.

Personaly, I love my 97, but they have their share of issues. If you can find a sub 100k mile one that has been well maintained you should be solid.

220k on 99 explorer sohc here. Suprised I still had stock passengers side upper control arm/ball joint when i pulled the suspension apart the other day. Torsion bars still holding up well. Not hitting bumpstops. Upper Control arm bolts must have worked themselves loose as they were both not seating on the bushings and flopping around. Shocks are rusted to he!! but are doing there job. Can't complain too much I suppose. Junked a lot of vehicles with less than 200k.

I have a problem driving the vehicle though. I feel claustrophobic inside. If something were to happen on the highway I could feel this top heavy box roll over and I'd be stuck inside. My Mazda Navajo (same platform) was the same way. I lowered it though about 6 inches with some fabricating. It wouldn't take much effort to take a quick turn at high speeds to avoid an accident and topple over. The 98' models that came with defective Firestone tires had toppled over just from a tire belt snapping. Scary.

220k on 99 explorer sohc here. Suprised I still had stock passengers side upper control arm/ball joint when i pulled the suspension apart the other day. Torsion bars still holding up well. Not hitting bumpstops. Upper Control arm bolts must have worked themselves loose as they were both not seating on the bushings and flopping around. Shocks are rusted to he!! but are doing there job. Can't complain too much I suppose. Junked a lot of vehicles with less than 200k.

I have a problem driving the vehicle though. I feel claustrophobic inside. If something were to happen on the highway I could feel this top heavy box roll over and I'd be stuck inside. My Mazda Navajo (same platform) was the same way. I lowered it though about 6 inches with some fabricating. It wouldn't take much effort to take a quick turn at high speeds to avoid an accident and topple over. The 98' models that came with defective Firestone tires had toppled over just from a tire belt snapping. Scary.

My upper balls are original too. 187k and they are in good shape so yeah.

I have a problem driving the vehicle though. I feel claustrophobic inside. If something were to happen on the highway I could feel this top heavy box roll over and I'd be stuck inside.

My Mazda Navajo (same platform) was the same way. I lowered it though about 6 inches with some fabricating. It wouldn't take much effort to take a quick turn at high speeds to avoid an accident and topple over.

Better to recognize the limitations of the vehicle than drive as if they don't exist. Driving slower improves fuel economy...

I love my 04 explorer other than the throttle pedal and hatch crack. I wish I had a 02/03 as it has a cable throttle pedal vs the drive by wire. Make sure to get an X with the towing package as it has a transmission cooler which extends the life of the transmission. The 3rd gens have the dreaded crack on the rear hatch issue as well. Its not a matter of if you get the crack but when you get the crack. The upper ball joints are the first suspension pieces to wear out, usually before 100K. Also note their is not a drastic difference in fuel economy between the v6 and v8.

3rd gens also have the cracking tailgate issue. Personally I would try to find an early 4th gen instead, well worth the extra money. Much more solid and built truck. As far as mpg, its a wash, just go for the V8 for the extra power/torque.

Keep in mind that we're talking about a several years old vehicle. Condition, owner maintenance, and price may trump other factors at this point.

Back