STA Great Choices - Depicted by Costs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

STA Great Choices - Depicted by Costs

ingenuitor

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 SR5 > Rust Free
I have my deposits on two STA's and feel so lucky right now to even have this opportunity, one Blue and One Silver, both have the same mileage? The silver once has Nav and the Blue one has the 6 CD Changer. The blue one has some normal bed wear as it was used fro utility and the silver one you cold eat off of truck bed in every way, it's never been used seemly MINT.

The Blue one need rims in the future visually they have a few issues, but function fine and the blue one has great new tires saving $1000 and the silver one needs tires but has good rims saving $1500, not perfect rims but good, both OEM rims. The interior on both are very clean, the silver one maybe a little better interior or at least detailed out better to look good in photos other than the door control side covers, it looks MINT.

Now the rub, the silver is $10,000 less than the Blue one, I love the blue color, but having one hell of a time justifying $10k more for color and less relative option(s), meaning no Nav, plus the silver ones bed is like new, even has the rubber cover from the factory on it, again MINT.

Both are not listed publicly and thus can't be found, I really lucked out with good timing I guess.

Both come from good climates and made in KY, same relative miles, the silver one had a new windshield installed, still wonder why on that one, getting that info today, job looks clean and you can't tell, other than that they both have a clean carfax report and both have been inspected from every angle, underneath.

Is it worth the extra for the color and no Nav? Again they don't make these anymore and they will only get worse in time (condition wise). I seen allot and most have major defects and have not been taken care of at all.

With that being stated the blue one needs only 2 places on the entire truck where the paint needs fixed, maybe a few $100 at the most with the correct paint with labor included.

The silver one has a few more issues with paint, front pass bumper rub, nothing major, but figured $300-500 tops, same side pass rear wheel well scrape $200-300 and a few door marks, maybe a compound can get those out, not sure yet, otherwise maybe another say $400-$500 tops, again exterminating WAY high I hope, not sure about any road chips on the silver one, the blue one seems to have zero stone chips, the silver one I'm not 100% sure, still working on getting that info.

Last but not least the blue one will cost less to ship then the silver one $600 blue vs $1500 silver.

Honestly I'm leaning towards the blue, as this seems to be a more rare color and thus want it even more, just need to install Nav later, if I can find it for a fair cost, most Nav's are $1400 with programming if I buy it myself, $2000+ from the dealer. :)

Either way we are way excited and can't wait to just have one let alone two.

Photos for blue have been provided, and HD videos and photos for the silver one with over the top details to see everything and anything have been provided.

In both case the door control panel side cover will need replaced, they always wear out it seems and thus not a big deal to replace.

Thoughts? maybe I should buy both and yes I'm a little OCD lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If It were my decision, I'd choose the silver one.
It has Navigation, non abused bed, is $10,000 less and I personally think silver is an elegant looking color.

If It were my decision, I'd choose the silver one.
It has Navigation, non abused bed, is $10,000 less and I personally think silver is an elegant looking color.

Yeah and $10k is a huge jump in price, love them both.... Thanks for the input.

I like both of the colors you mentioned. I have an 08 silver STA and love it. The color pops so much in the sun when its clean, it has me looking for a silver 03/04 cobra to match it.

I like both of the colors you mentioned. I have an 08 silver STA and love it. The color pops so much in the sun when its clean, it has me looking for a silver 03/04 cobra to match it.

Yeah the worse part is I can't see any of these in person and thus a major risk for sure. Now another rub, the silver one's drivers door glass was smashed and a theft was conducted $5000+ claim on the CarFax report. Yet that was repaired by Ford and says done 100% professionally back to OEM and you can't tell.

The Windshield was also replaced due to a rock chip and replaced by PGW tinted glass. Seems like a good job, but deff yet another trade off. hmmmmmmm

Makes us start thinking hard, this is an interesting venture for sure... thanks again for the replies, it's very helpful.

Getting more images to share, silver one first, the interior is all but flawless.

oVdqPSJ.jpg

Y2K2D0z.jpg

more fun photos, working on getting more as I keep on this journey, seems super clean

Mk8Iwaw.jpg

more fun photos, I think we are going after this now and letting the blue one go, this one also has rear backup sensor assist controls....

jiA3R71.jpg

3ODbJ5D.jpg

RErgUdB.jpg

RPFWuEP.jpg

vJ5TPcF.jpg

gLSYDCr.jpg

some defects, maybe some can be buffed out, but nothing really too major imho, we just need some paint work and maybe a little body work, at least that is what I hope...

DuAAsCe.jpg

uXvdtKs.jpg

KzvSDaC.jpg

jVcOH7l.jpg

pqGL4xY.jpg

1z1Rmgk.jpg

XXOCJFU.jpg

2LEHDGs.jpg

I like all of the color options for the Adrenalin, but I love silver the most. I'm still having a hard time finding one out here in the east so I'm jealous! There are plenty of 2010's available with < 50,000 miles (my max), but almost all are built for the Canadian market, then imported back to the U.S. according to their history reports so I don't know what to think of that honestly. To make matters worse they're priced from around $27,000 on up...

Also, most that I have looked at have horrible pitting/corrosion on the polished wheels and as you mentioned, every one that I have checked out have chips in the finish of the door control panel side cover. So is that piece replaceable without having to replace the entire door panel (haven't researched it yet)?

I like all of the color options for the Adrenalin, but I love silver the most. I'm still having a hard time finding one out here in the east so I'm jealous! There are plenty of 2010's available with < 50,000 miles (my max), but almost all are built for the Canadian market, then imported back to the U.S. according to their history reports so I don't know what to think of that honestly. To make matters worse they're priced from around $27,000 on up...

Also, most that I have looked at have horrible pitting/corrosion on the polished wheels and as you mentioned, every one that I have checked out have chips in the finish of the door control panel side cover. So is that piece replaceable without having to replace the entire door panel (haven't researched it yet)?

So rims can be repaired, sand blasted to like new, then clear coat them for around $600 ish all four rims. Side covers can be replaced, about $30 ish each. The key things you want is history, less rust, nothing is rust free underneath, little paint damage, avoid the ones with rust in the door seams, avoid the ones with condensation in the rear third brake light, avoid anything that was hit, avoid the ones that have to many panels painted, they can truely never match, if you look close, 50k to 75k is even ok, again you want that history. I saw one with 7k miles on it, sitting, no maintence, all the seals, gaskets, rotors, break lines are gone. They wanted 29k+ and it will cost you min 3 - 5k to fix it all. The rotors are $600 ish installed, but dropping the tranny, diff, you are looking at a few k plus bad brake lines are somthing you do not want. You would not even know until you get some miles on it. Go after good verifiable history, low milage is over rated, if it has great history. Hope this helps, all the best of luck, you will find one. You just have to be willing to jump when you do, the current market is making it this way.

I could not justify a $10k difference for color!

Incidentally, an aftermarket sound/nav unit could be installed for well under $2000, and a modern unit will have so many more features than the stocker.

ingenuitor, thanks for the info. I didn't know they were prone to those issues.

I just honestly don't know if I can see myself paying $27,000+ for one of these Adrenalin though which seems like a hefty premium over a Limited for example which I can find much cheaper near me...

I have my deposits on two STA's and feel so lucky right now to even have this opportunity, one Blue and One Silver, both have the same mileage? The silver once has Nav and the Blue one has the 6 CD Changer. The blue one has some normal bed wear as it was used fro utility and the silver one you cold eat off of truck bed in every way, it's never been used seemly MINT.

The Blue one need rims in the future visually they have a few issues, but function fine and the blue one has great new tires saving $1000 and the silver one needs tires but has good rims saving $1500, not perfect rims but good, both OEM rims. The interior on both are very clean, the silver one maybe a little better interior or at least detailed out better to look good in photos other than the door control side covers, it looks MINT.

Now the rub, the silver is $10,000 less than the Blue one, I love the blue color, but having one hell of a time justifying $10k more for color and less relative option(s), meaning no Nav, plus the silver ones bed is like new, even has the rubber cover from the factory on it, again MINT.

Both are not listed publicly and thus can't be found, I really lucked out with good timing I guess.

Both come from good climates and made in KY, same relative miles, the silver one had a new windshield installed, still wonder why on that one, getting that info today, job looks clean and you can't tell, other than that they both have a clean carfax report and both have been inspected from every angle, underneath.

Is it worth the extra for the color and no Nav? Again they don't make these anymore and they will only get worse in time (condition wise). I seen allot and most have major defects and have not been taken care of at all.

With that being stated the blue one needs only 2 places on the entire truck where the paint needs fixed, maybe a few $100 at the most with the correct paint with labor included.

The silver one has a few more issues with paint, front pass bumper rub, nothing major, but figured $300-500 tops, same side pass rear wheel well scrape $200-300 and a few door marks, maybe a compound can get those out, not sure yet, otherwise maybe another say $400-$500 tops, again exterminating WAY high I hope, not sure about any road chips on the silver one, the blue one seems to have zero stone chips, the silver one I'm not 100% sure, still working on getting that info.

Last but not least the blue one will cost less to ship then the silver one $600 blue vs $1500 silver.

Honestly I'm leaning towards the blue, as this seems to be a more rare color and thus want it even more, just need to install Nav later, if I can find it for a fair cost, most Nav's are $1400 with programming if I buy it myself, $2000+ from the dealer. :)

Photos for blue have been provided, and HD videos and photos for the silver one with over the top details to see everything and anything have been provided.

In both case the door control panel side cover will need replaced, they always wear out it seems and thus not a big deal to replace.

from your description and the pictures i saw;i would go wiyh the silver one.i have to admit that i have an 08 silver limited,but honestly the

sorry for stopping short.that silver color is beautiful and hides alot of dirt.it's extremely popular and would be easy to sell if you ever decide to let it go in the future.like i said this is a biased reply but i think you would be happy and have extra $ to offset any repairs,etc.the interior shots also look fantastic;i'm jealous because i love the perforated leather.mine has the 2 tone beige which i like better than when i first saw it.anyway my experience has been that a vehicle kept up cosmetically like this has usually been taken care of and will prove to be a wise purchase.i would still recommend that you do a thourough inspection prior to purchasing.good luck!

I could not justify a $10k difference for color!

Incidentally, an aftermarket sound/nav unit could be installed for well under $2000, and a modern unit will have so many more features than the stocker.

I agreed with you, but I prefer the stock only because it's all seamless and better resale value down the road, if I ever sale it for a 2018 Fully Loaded Ranger, they are in Mexico, so it's going to happen. But I'm 100% aware you can get an Android tablet for maybe $100 and do it all from that as well, idk why; I do not want to mess with stock wiring in this rig. I would if it was something way older and has no real resale value.

Most aftermarket sound / nav units are not as good either. But idk I may change my mind once I have the truck and want to install an additional pre amp / sub, crossovers, but again, if I would do this, I want to be able to revert to stock and never know it was installed.

Maybe just replace the speakers if I do not like the sound, I just do not know yet. That's just me though, if the stock sounds good I will leave it, if it sounds bad, then maybe replace speakers and see if that changes things... :)

ingenuitor, thanks for the info. I didn't know they were prone to those issues.

I just honestly don't know if I can see myself paying $27,000+ for one of these Adrenalin though which seems like a hefty premium over a Limited for example which I can find much cheaper near me...

Yeah it's crazy, a loaded up limited is like $18 to 22k that has less than 50k miles, great records and clean. If you go after the same in the Adrenalin dealers want 27k - 34k, why because we all want one and they can charge it. Otherwise it would be so much less. Honesty if not for the opportunity / costs, condition and timing I would prob go after a loaded limited in pristine condition myself. They drive and act all the the same, but stay with an 8 cylinder if you can in all cases, not that the 6 is bad, but the 8 is just a little better, that engine has a great history and I'm sure you will be happy with a limited as well, if you can't find an STA. It's a sharp looking truck in that regard as well, very little difference between the STA and the STL. Best of luck...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it normal for the third-brake bulb to require replacement at around 40,000 miles?

Also, is it common for the front two bolts that connect the seat to the floor, on the front seats, normally rust under normal conditions?

Back