93 Ex A4LD shifting problems | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 Ex A4LD shifting problems

He's likely giving you a worst case scenario. If left for a long time, the governor can be damaged and cause scoring, possibly releasing contaminants. The thing is, the internal filter is usually about the fineness of a window screen. It's pretty pathetic. I had a miserable cold 1-2 shift issue with mine (took up past 3k RPM and 25MPH before it would shift to 2nd) and with Seafoam Trans Tune and an in-line filter, it completely cleared up. It could be as easy and cheap as crud/grit in the trans fluid from normal wear & tear or it could be as bad as a broken band demanding a whole rebuild. Best to start simple. No matter what the trans shop does, I highly recommend installing an in-line filter.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I appreciate the advice Nate .. I am going to wait to see what he finds .. probably early next week. Hopefully it will not be a broken band. I'll update after his findings. Thanks again for everybody's input.

SOLVED !! ... The issue was a split vacuum line. The trans shop replaced it and I had him service the trans and transfer case. It was worth it. He also replaced the modulator. Thanks to all for your input.

Awesome. Easy fixes are nice..

I'm happy to hear that it was something that simple. Glad you also have a trustworthy mechanic and one that didn't take you for a ride for a simple job.

Back