Fuel smell after engine is turned off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel smell after engine is turned off

Explorer 4 sport

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
After I turn the car off and get out, I notice a heavy smell of gasoline around the gas cap area. The smell is at the rear of car and not coming from any area around the engine. It only smells after the car is driven and after a few hours of sitting the smell is gone. I have no codes or lights, I've replaced the gas cap, I've looked the tank and lines over several times looking for leaks with no signs of a leak anywhere. Anyone have any input on what could be causing this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know you dont have any CEL glowing on your dash, buttry to verify that the fuel smell isnt a problem that is causing your engine to run rich. you could be running rich which would make your exhaust smell like fuel. you dont notice it much while driving, but once you come to a stop and get out, that could be what you are smelling.those last exhaust fumes that piped out before you jumped out of your truck. if the engine is running rich it will smell like gas.

you can also check to see if the fuel pump is fitted and running properly with no leaks. this is kind of a pain, but to verify that your fuel pump isn't the issue, you will need to drop the tank. try to drive the truck until your're running on fumes. it will be easier to drop the tank. then get a jack under the tank, and undo the straps that are holding the tank. once you get it loose, you can lower the tank with the jack slowly, and then inspect the fuel pump and the fittings that connect it to the fuel lines that run to the engine.

search for "fuel pump how to" and im sure a few threads will pop up that will give you direction on how to do this. if you have verified that your engine isnt running rich, and you arent comfortable dropping your tank to inspect, take it to a pro.

Thanks for the response LONO. I have verified that the engine is not running rich. I've looked at the fuel pump and surrounding area, I saw no signs of any leakage, loose lines, cracked lines. Everything around it looks in pretty decent shape for being 13 years old. I've been looking at the EVAP canisters, I've read in several other forums that the carbon in them can get saturated cause the fuel smell. But there is one other thing I've noticed since you brought up the fuel pump. Every morning, only on the very first start of the day, the engine has to roll over a couple times before it starts. Any other time it starts right up without hesitation. Would you think the fuel pump would be to blame or something in the EVAP system?

...also, how do you fill your tank? First clink? Third? A dozen?

1-5 clicks on average, rarely more than that.

Might want to try the next couple fill-ups stopping at the FIRST click, just to see it is your EVAP Canister getting flooded. There is a vent line in the fill hose and if gas fills that hose, it drains raw fuel back in to the evap canister.
Worth a try...

Back