Painted Wheels installed.....finally ! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted Wheels installed.....finally !

BAD430BENZ

Reaction score
City, State
EL PASO , TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 FORD EXPLORER SPORT
well I finally got the wheels painted and installed . sorry about the dirty pics but the weather hasn't been that great so I took some quick shots just so everyone can see them . we didn't do any of the fender work because it was rubbing after some minor testing....but now that they have been installed for a few days and I have done some normal driving around town , there is some minor rubbing issues when turning and hitting bumps at the same time . I will be taking it back for the fender work after all :thumbsup:

new wheels 2.jpg

new wheels 3.jpg

new wheels 4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that's one badazz looking sport!

just needs some smoked lamin-x headlight film to tame down those amber reflectors lol

that's one badazz looking sport!

just needs some smoked lamin-x headlight film to tame down those amber reflectors lol
I hate the amber also but not sure if I want to lamin-x the lights . I would rather tackle the job of opening them up and deleting the amber all together :thumbsup:

well I finally got the wheels painted and installed . sorry about the dirty pics but the weather hasn't been that great so I took some quick shots just so everyone can see them . we didn't do any of the fender work because it was rubbing after some minor testing....but now that they have been installed for a few days and I have done some normal driving around town , there is some minor rubbing issues when turning and hitting bumps at the same time . I will be taking it back for the fender work after all :thumbsup:
Looks great!!!! :thumbsup: if you can, please share the details of the fender work as mine is rubbing a little on the back. Thanks!!!

That looks good.

Looks great!!!! :thumbsup: if you can, please share the details of the fender work as mine is rubbing a little on the back. Thanks!!!
I will . what I did find out is there is a screw in the lip of the fender that faces down towards the tire . I took the screw out just in case because the dealer told me there are also a bunch of clips that hold the fender trim in place so the screw can be removed without it coming loose . since there are a bunch of clips along the plastic fender trim to keep it in place , I am going to try heating and folding it after bending the metal . if that doesn't work , it's time to bring out the dremel and go to work :D

Looks great:thumbsup: Black is the color I wanted on my ESport, it's just not the color I wanted to try and keep clean;) Did you post the specs on these wheels and I missed it? Brand, Diameter, width, forged or cast, weight, cost, etc etc:)

I will . what I did find out is there is a screw in the lip of the fender that faces down towards the tire . I took the screw out just in case because the dealer told me there are also a bunch of clips that hold the fender trim in place so the screw can be removed without it coming loose . since there are a bunch of clips along the plastic fender trim to keep it in place , I am going to try heating and folding it after bending the metal . if that doesn't work , it's time to bring out the dremel and go to work :D
I Also removed the screw because I pulled the trim and saw all the clips that hold it. Not much metal to bend in there. If you bend it, you'll most likely deform the quarter panel and the trim won't line up. I already cut some of the lip on one side but, haven't had the chance to test drive it in the last week. I want to try the heating/bending method on the other side. The screw is there to hold the big cover that goes inside the fender to the trim.

Can you give us some specs like wheel size and tire size? Thank you

Looks great! Obviously not exactly the same, but they kind of resemble the 20" wheels that came on my XLT with sport appearance package.

Again, very sharp.

I'm considering painting the wheels on my '17 Sport to match the black exterior. It appears there are some local companies in my area that can do this. Has anyone had their wheels painted or powder-coated and how did they turn out?

There are a lot members on this forum that have either DIY or had their oem wheels professionally painted.

powder coat, rattle can and plasti-dip seem to be the popular choices.

Good to know - I'd be interested to see which method is the most cost-effective. Please post pics if anyone has done this!

I'm considering painting the wheels on my '17 Sport to match the black exterior. It appears there are some local companies in my area that can do this. Has anyone had their wheels painted or powder-coated and how did they turn out?
Your thread has been merged with this existing one Dan. You may also be interested in this thread; Plasti Dipped Wheels

Peter

DIY plasti-dip or rattle can will be the most cost effective, but you get what you pay for.

Powder coating can run anywhere from ~$50 to hundreds per wheel, and you get what you pay for here as well. Some of the lower cost powder coaters don't fully prep the wheels and just focus on the visible/front surface to keep their price down. The better shops do a more professional/OEM quality job.

Back