Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 104 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters
Has ANYONE had success fixing this problem?

No,

I don't know why Ford is beaning lazy for fixing this problem !

They can change the whole design of the exhaust + sealing the back door probably.

Also change the cat converters and relocate them to somewhere under the middle of the car

Changing the HVAC vents that located in the sides of back fender cover

if this didn't work

relocate the exhaust tips to be in the side of the back fender cover

something like this

T527214?$prodpg640x480$.jpg

i'm sure this is will work !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another 2015 Ford Explorer Limited with the dreaded intermittent exhaust fume odor in the cabin apparently coming from the rear of the inside cabin when the heater or air conditioner is on, recirculation fan is either on or off. This has been a problem since we bought the car, and both parts of TSB 14-0130 were done in August 2015, same problem.
This is not related to the wide open throttle or hard acceleration exhaust fumes thread.
Explorer is at service department of Scott Peterson Motors of Sturgis in South Dakota. I gave them a list of 9 possible causes to consider based on research from the Explorer Forum in an effort to be proactive. The Ex has been there a week and still waiting. Filed NHTSA complaint, sent info to classaction.org. Will update the Explorer Forum when I get more news or a solution.

Update: I picked up the Ex after 23 days in the shop, and the result is that there was nothing done, but the dealership is keeping the repair order open and will call me when another TSB is available to do another repair. My suggestion is that if you have the same problem that I have, bring it into the dealership once to let them investigate and probably do the TSB. If that does not fix the problem, file a complaint with the NHTSA. But do not bother bringing it back to the dealership until you see on this website or other information source that another TSB has been issued. Do not be delusional like me that the dealership is going to brainstorm, innovate, or use any initiative to try to do a repair on the Ex based on the most probable cause of this exhaust in the cabin! If the dealer does not have a new TSB fix, nothing is going to happen; my opinion.

Got an email response from classaction.org that the reviewed my inquiry and regrettably cannot assist me at this time...due to four possible reasons...

Ford: You are screwing up again...

My 2016 sport smells awful after hard acceleration. My kids often ask "who farted".

My 2016 sport smells awful after hard acceleration. My kids often ask "who farted".
Similar to post 2064? If so, that is likely from the catalytic convertor.

Peter

Well I just picked up my Ex today. I was hoping and praying they fixed it. Well it's not fixed!! This is the 4th time it has been in the shop. They have replaced my mufflers with turn down mufflers. Performed a pressure test and found leaking seams. They sealed the seams. They have calibration per hotline reprogrammed HVAC module and PCM. Replaced purge valve. Smoke tested the exhaust, rear window and lift gate. Also smoke tested with A/C on inside air. (No leaks found) Put carbon monoxide test in vehicle and test drove 61 miles with no reading. So I pick it up and take the on ramp to get on the interstate to go home. Well it's not fixed. I have to roll my windows down to get fresh air in the cabin. This is one of the most frustrating problems I have ever dealt with. It has to do with the back pressure vents in the fenders. My Ex was assembled in Chicago. I'm wondering if everyone else that is having this problem, if theirs was assembled there too?

All the 5th generation Explorers are assembled in Chicago. If you are getting a 'rotten egg' smell that dissipates after a minute or so then that is not the same as the exhaust fumes most people are complaining about. It is not uncommon to get that smell after some hard acceleration.

Peter

All the 5th generation Explorers are assembled in Chicago. If you are getting a 'rotten egg' smell that dissipates after a minute or so then that is not the same as the exhaust fumes most people are complaining about. It is not uncommon to get that smell after some hard acceleration.

Peter
I've owned several new vehicles. I've never had to deal with this problem. There shouldn't be any exhaust smell in the cabin. When the air is on recycled. Trust me when I say, I don't enjoy my car being in the shop. I wouldn't keep taking it back if it was fixed! Plus I can't see paying $40,000 for something that can't be fixed. This has to be harmful to your body. Because every time it happens, it makes me nauseated and I get a sick headache. If this is something Ford Can't or want fix. I will Never buy another Ford again!! Don't get me wrong, I love my Ex. It has plenty of room and has been great. But this problem has to be resolved!

If the smell is coming from the rear of the cars exhaust, wouldn't extending the rear tail pipes past the body be a simple fix? Anyone with the smell be willing to visit the muffler shop and have them extend the tailpipes as a test? It shouldn't be expensive.

Also each fitting down the line on the exhaust has a gasket and nuts that should be replaced if serviced. Maybe one is leaking a bit?

I've never experienced the Smell in either of my explorers 2012 and 2016 from exhaust and im always WOT.
The smell that makes me sick on mine is coming from the dipstick popping out after WOT and a small amount of oil is getting on the engine. This has happened on both my 2012 and 2016. I tape them closed now. Being its synthetic oil it doesn't smell like the old oil smell i'm use to otherwise i would have figured it out right away. Check for oil leaks on the engine or turbos if you have them.

Update for anyone interested. I went thru the channels and was awarded the buyback. Question is what now? Are people with 16's facing the issue? Fool me once shame on them....fool me twice....

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport (all the same issues) <5K miles it's at the dealer now for the 1st time. I found this article that profiled a guy with a '16 http://www.fairwarning.org/2016/07/ford-explorers/ that says....Concerned about the health risks, he recently purchased an SUV from another manufacturer after Ford refused to take the Explorer back or offer a credit on another purchase.... How were you offered the buyback? Thanks.

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer Sport (all the same issues) <5K miles it's at the dealer now for the 1st time. I found this article that profiled a guy with a '16 http://www.fairwarning.org/2016/07/ford-explorers/ that says....Concerned about the health risks, he recently purchased an SUV from another manufacturer after Ford refused to take the Explorer back or offer a credit on another purchase.... How were you offered the buyback? Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

2014 EX LIM
I haven't checked in with the forum for some time now. Kinda gave up. Took the Ex in for some items to get checked or fixed before the 36K warranty ends, and asked if there had been any new "Ford Fixes" for the smell. They did the exhaust "turn down" mod. It has helped, but we have noticed it one time out of probably 8 or 10 slightly aggressive accelerations. I have only "floorboarded" this car one time in the two + yrs we've had it. So, it's better, but NOT FIXED. As I have said before, the service folks at my dealership have been great, but their hands are tied. I think the idea of routing the exhaust out behind the left rear wheel might help more, especially if the exhaust were to be coming out one pipe to increase the velocity, or a" two into one" configuration. These little engines don't really need dual exhaust. What about a "flame arrestor" design with the last few inches of the "tip" being 15 or 20 small tubes thereby accelerating the exhaust flow??? It works on flame arrestors.
But that's still a "band-aid". The exhaust should NOT be entering the cabin for any reason.
I guess we could install a "snorkel" type exhaust stack like some of the atv's have on them :D

I have a 2013 explorer XLT with the smell in the cabin. Been fighting with ford dealer about it. At first they denied knowing anything about it, then could not smell it until I took them for a drive. They have the car currently to do this vent flap mod to the rear. We were put into a rental brand new 2017 limited, it had the smell too, also AC did not work. So they changed us out to 2017 sport, it also has the smell too. Have they got a fix for this problem? If they have known about it, why do the new models have the same issue?

I have a 2013 explorer XLT with the smell in the cabin. Been fighting with ford dealer about it. At first they denied knowing anything about it, then could not smell it until I took them for a drive. They have the car currently to do this vent flap mod to the rear. We were put into a rental brand new 2017 limited, it had the smell too, also AC did not work. So they changed us out to 2017 sport, it also has the smell too. Have they got a fix for this problem? If they have known about it, why do the new models have the same issue?
Are you sure it isn't the sulphur (rotten egg) smell you are getting? The exhaust and sulphur are different issues. The sulphur smell is much more common in many different vehicles under hard acceleration and usually dissipates quickly.

Peter

I noticed this smell on all 3 Explorer Sports I test drove, and finally on the one I purchased. I drove each of them hard for short bursts. In all 4 cases, I didn't smell it inside the car, but definitely smelled it outside when I parked the vehicle and got out. I had assumed this was because the car was new, exhaust/engine not completely broken in. Are there cases where this still occurs even with some mileage?

I noticed this smell on all 3 Explorer Sports I test drove, and finally on the one I purchased. I drove each of them hard for short bursts. In all 4 cases, I didn't smell it inside the car, but definitely smelled it outside when I parked the vehicle and got out. I had assumed this was because the car was new, exhaust/engine not completely broken in. Are there cases where this still occurs even with some mileage?

Yes, driving any type of vehicle hard going WOT will product a strong rotten egg smell.
Regardless if the vehicle is 1yr old, or 15yrs old.

I have just broken 10K miles on my EX (took delivery last Nov 2015) and I've always smelt rotten eggs during WOT.

This is the same case for two of my 15yr old summer 4bangers and my 2015 Lexus RX350.

2014 EX LIM
I haven't checked in with the forum for some time now. Kinda gave up. Took the Ex in for some items to get checked or fixed before the 36K warranty ends, and asked if there had been any new "Ford Fixes" for the smell. They did the exhaust "turn down" mod. It has helped, but we have noticed it one time out of probably 8 or 10 slightly aggressive accelerations. I have only "floorboarded" this car one time in the two + yrs we've had it. So, it's better, but NOT FIXED. As I have said before, the service folks at my dealership have been great, but their hands are tied. I think the idea of routing the exhaust out behind the left rear wheel might help more, especially if the exhaust were to be coming out one pipe to increase the velocity, or a" two into one" configuration. These little engines don't really need dual exhaust. What about a "flame arrestor" design with the last few inches of the "tip" being 15 or 20 small tubes thereby accelerating the exhaust flow??? It works on flame arrestors.
But that's still a "band-aid". The exhaust should NOT be entering the cabin for any reason.
I guess we could install a "snorkel" type exhaust stack like some of the atv's have on them :D
That's exactly what I'm going through with my 2014 Limited,... my Ford dealer doesn't know what to do. Nice vehicle except for the exhaust smell in cabin.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back