F150 Raptor-style ID lights/Marker lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

F150 Raptor-style ID lights/Marker lights

I recently noticed that the F-150 Raptors have 3 amber marker or ID lights at the top center of the grill. I thought it looked pretty cool, and found out that it's actually required by law since the vehicle is wider than 80 inches.

Anyway, I thought I'd look into doing something similar for my truck. Seems a lot of the regular F-150 guys have been doing this also, so after reading about the lights they used, I decided to buy 4 of these and give it a try:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-accent-lighting/bolt-beam-10mm-led-light/56/

They're already wired up you just need to hook them up to power. Better yet, they fit perfectly inside the openings in my mesh grille, just need to put some little brackets back there to mount them in place. I plan to wire them up in parallel and tap into the parking light power wire behind one of the headlights.

Should end up looking something like this...just need to decide whether I want to do 3 or 4 lights. I am leaning towards 4:

idlights2sim.jpg

IDLightssim.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finished up sometime last week finally got some decent night shots. I wonder if anyone else has everything go wrong in their projects.

20121105_184342.jpg

20121105_184408.jpg

20121105_184421.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i want to do this mod. do you think instead of using the bolt ones. i could buy 10mm LED and wire them myself... so basically just the 10mm single led and cut a hole then silicone them in... think thatd work?

i want to do this mod. do you think instead of using the bolt ones. i could buy 10mm LED and wire them myself... so basically just the 10mm single led and cut a hole then silicone them in... think thatd work?

Don't see why not, as long as everything is waterproofed. Post pics when you do it!

Don't see why not, as long as everything is waterproofed. Post pics when you do it!

will do! i may do a how to on it also! :) but it needs to warm up in michigan first

I recently noticed that the F-150 Raptors have 3 amber marker or ID lights at the top center of the grill. I thought it looked pretty cool, and found out that it's actually required by law since the vehicle is wider than 80 inches.

Anyway, I thought I'd look into doing something similar for my truck. Seems a lot of the regular F-150 guys have been doing this also, so after reading about the lights they used, I decided to buy 4 of these and give it a try:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-accent-lighting/bolt-beam-10mm-led-light/56/

Thanks for posting this - - quick, easy mod and looks pretty cool, even on the Gen-1s.
Raptor Lights.jpg

Paul
'91 Sport

Hi

They're already wired up you just need to hook them up to power. Better yet, they fit perfectly inside the openings in my mesh grille, just need to put some little brackets back there to mount them in place. I plan to wire them up in parallel and tap into the parking light power wire behind one of the headlights.

Should end up looking something like this...just need to decide whether I want to do 3 or 4 lights. I am leaning towards 4:

idlights2sim.jpg

IDLightssim.jpg

Can you tell me where you were able to find the brackets for those lights to mount?

Ronin8002 do you have a pic of how the bolts are fastened to your grille also what is the spacing between lights

Ronin8002 do you have a pic of how the bolts are fastened to your grille also what is the spacing between lights

No pics. The bolt goes thru the front, and I put a washer on the back with a nut to hold it in.

I'm running the 3 lights now instead of 4. Spacing is 6" between lights with the middle one dead center.

Ronin- did you just wire them directly to the battery and splice them into the running lights wire?

Also, has anyone done this where you wired them into your turn signals? So if you could have the ones on the right flash with right turn signal and left with left? Could you just splice that in? I am learning a little about lighting wiring from learning to work on my motorcycle and figure it can't be too different! Thanks! PS- I love the look! Great job!

Theres a side marker bulb on the outside of the headlight housing. I just tapped into the positive and negative wires that went to that light.

You could probably tap into the flasher the same way if you wanted them to synch up with the turn signals.

Ronin- did you just wire them directly to the battery and splice them into the running lights wire?

Also, has anyone done this where you wired them into your turn signals? So if you could have the ones on the right flash with right turn signal and left with left? Could you just splice that in? I am learning a little about lighting wiring from learning to work on my motorcycle and figure it can't be too different! Thanks! PS- I love the look! Great job!

Were you not able to find any mounts that would fit them?

I never looked. Didn't need to use brackets or mounts. The setup was so simple that buying mounts would have been a waste of money.

If you need to mount them to something that doesn't already have a small opening, just drill a hole, put the threaded part of the LED through the hole, and put the nut on the back to hold it. Done.

I never looked. Didn't need to use brackets or mounts. The setup was so simple that buying mounts would have been a waste of money.

If you need to mount them to something that doesn't already have a small opening, just drill a hole, put the threaded part of the LED through the hole, and put the nut on the back to hold it. Done.

OK. Or if I wanted to do like you did I would just have to get a bigger washer cause my grill hole is bigger. Where do you have the lights getting power from? Thanks!

I wonder if anyone else has everything go wrong in their projects.

If nothing went wrong, I'd be checking the badges to make sure it was still an Explorer I was working on.

I used a piece if 1" flat aluminum bought from Lowes that I painted black, drilled holes for the bolts and basically wedged in there. The LED bolts and the pressure keep it in there straight.

IMG_20160625_173934098.jpg

The mounts:
IMG_20160624_221234175_HDR.jpg

Placement in the grille:
IMG_20160625_163429229.jpg

The harness:
IMG_20160626_015505.jpg

bumping an old post (Sorry) where can I find the yellow fogs? My fogs are so water logged and rotting that they on longer work. Looking into buying them however I don't want to get them if they don't perform or just look tackier in person. Links would nice to for the brands if anyone has them. Thanks!

I use alpena LEDs in my grille and LED bulbs in the marker light and turn signal housings. The turn signal LED bulbs are 27 smd 3157s from super bright leds, and the marker light bulbs are 19 smd led bulbs. I use them as daytime running lights. My next mod will be adding 194 Amber leds to the fog light housings that turn on when the marker lights are on. I just need to figure out how to add a 194 socket to the fog lights and wire them so they're only on with the marker lights and not the headlights.

B8708B6C-315F-4F61-9931-5ED9B860050B.jpg

Back