• Register Today It's free!

Hesitation when pressing gas

X95amk76

Reaction score
City, State
Halifax
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer sport trac
Hi all...first time here so I'll try to describe this properly. Recently I had the spark plugs replaced by the dealership...about a week later while I'm driving and slightly pressing the gas it hesitates and kicks a little. No idle issues or issue during take off...just while driving and only when gently pressing the gas. I haven't had much time to investigate due to lack of time and appropriate tools...but I've recently replaced the coil pack and spark plug wires and the drive belt since I had to remove the alternator to replace the plug wires...seems a little better but still hesitates...would an odb2 pick up a code even though there's no check engine light on? Also...any other suggestions ? Ps warranty expired right after the service lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try recalibrating your throttle response. I saw this on another site, tried it, and I noticed an improvement in throttle response:

1. Turn Ignition to "ON" but don't start engine.
2. Slowly press gas pedal all the way to the floor (I took about 3-4 sec).
3. Release pedal quickly (yank back your foot).
4. Turn off Ignition.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times.

Do it about once a month.

Try recalibrating your throttle response. I saw this on another site, tried it, and I noticed an improvement in throttle response:

1. Turn Ignition to "ON" but don't start engine.
2. Slowly press gas pedal all the way to the floor (I took about 3-4 sec).
3. Release pedal quickly (yank back your foot).
4. Turn off Ignition.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times.

Do it about once a month.

Thanks, it's worth a shot. If I'm doing this though, would it make sense to replace / test my throttle position sensor ?

I don't know that that is necessary. Try the re-calibration procedure first. It's quick, easy, and free. ;)

I don't know that that is necessary. Try the re-calibration procedure first. It's quick, easy, and free. ;)
Tried the re-calibration and the pedal does seem more responsive, but the same issue is there. Seems like when I'm driving 70km/h and above (guessing that 50-55mph and above) that it happens. Only when gently pressing the gas to either maintain speed or when the truck needs a little more gas for a hill. When hitting a hill, if I were to take my foot off the pedal and then give it a shot of gas to accelerate up the hill it doesn't do it. Just when it needs that little extra gas to make a hill or a little gas to maintain speed. Also when hitting a hill if I take O/D off to raise the RPM's going up a hill it doesn't do it (it did once on a steep hill, but generally is fine). Then at the top of the hill I enable O/D and drive normally.

Not sure what to check next, but guessing vaccum leak possibly?

Any word on this. I literally have the same exact problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Any word on this. I literally have the same exact problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
No word yet and not sure where to go from here really. Most of what I read says spark plugs or coil, possible vacuum leak. I can't imagine the plugs are bad since they are new and installed by the dealership, but once I have a full day to sit and work on the truck I'm going to pulled the plugs and check the gap on them, test the wires (even though they are new), and test the coil pack as well. I may try a smoke test to see if there's a vacuum leak, and try replacing the fuel filter as well. Hoping to spot somethings with these tests, but that's all I have to go on right now. Let me know if you figure anything out as well.

Broke down and had a shop diagnose this...they said there was a misfire on cylinders 2 and 4 and looked like the new plug wires I got weren't sitting right in the coIL pack. Looking at them..the metal pieces in them looked crooked or on an angle....just replaced them again today and cleaned the throttle body....going to take for a test drive later....seems to idle at lower rpms now and I don't notice a miss when idling in park...so here's hoping.

Back