Suggestions for aftermarket DVD players | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for aftermarket DVD players

Sure... If you already buy movies on iTunes. I don't use iTunes, I have mostly physical DVD's. To get those DVD's to play on an iPad requires a whole lot of effort that I'm not willing to do. Once you rip them, you have to store them on the iPad. With 16GB or a 32GB iPad, that's not very many movies.

I'm not against those who want to use an iPad. You can certainly make it work. However, for those of us that just want to drop a DVD into the player and be done with it, the OEM players are a good choice. An iPad just isn't going to be that easy.

I will say the option for independent viewing or combined viewing of a movie is nice along with the wireless headphones. That I do like about the factory units!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not against those who want to use an iPad. You can certainly make it work. However, for those of us that just want to drop a DVD into the player and be done with it, the OEM players are a good choice. An iPad just isn't going to be that easy.[/QUOTE]

We rip the movies to my HD, then move them between itunes and ipad. Takes about 3 minutes to load, so not too bad for us. Plus like I said, the ability to bring them into a restaurant for them is huge for us. It entertains them, and allows us to go out w friends. Plus there are tons of learning.g programs for their young minds. I'm still amazed that our 19 mo old son can turn on and unlock the ipad and pick out his dinosaur game.

I recently purchased a 2016 Explorer Sport (full leather interior). I purchased aftermarket DVD players. These are not the DVD players that are built into the headrest. These are 10" displays that actually attach to the headrest posts. The factory headrest remains in place. My issue is that I can't find a way to easily fish the wire up through the leather seat. There's no zipper to take off the leather seat covers. I tried detaching the 2 latches (from the bottom-rear of the seat, but that doesn't allow me to remove the cover. It only allows me to feed my arm up to the top, but there seems to be a barrier of some sort as you reach the top of the seat (from the inside). In case you're wondering, I tried going from the top, but that means going from the side of the release clips. Because the factory headrests remain in place, there isn't a way to feed the wire through one of those two holes, as it's filled with metal headrest arms.

Does anyone know an easy way to remove (partially or fully) the leather seat covers of the seats on the newer explorers?

Thanks,

Just purchased a new 2017 XLT and opted out of the $2000 DVD option. We have a moonroof, so we need a good aftemarket option for the headrests. Previously, we bought a set of Phillips headrest DVD players from Walmart for around $50. They worked, not great, and not easy to control from the front, but served their purpose and were extremely inexpensive. They broke after about a year or two of use, but that was expected.

So I'm curious as to what people are using (and recommend) as far as headrest DVD players. Any help would be appreciated!

Just purchased a new 2017 XLT and opted out of the $2000 DVD option. We have a moonroof, so we need a good aftemarket option for the headrests. Previously, we bought a set of Phillips headrest DVD players from Walmart for around $50. They worked, not great, and not easy to control from the front, but served their purpose and were extremely inexpensive. They broke after about a year or two of use, but that was expected.

So I'm curious as to what people are using (and recommend) as far as headrest DVD players. Any help would be appreciated!
I just did a 'Search' and found that there are many threads that talk about DVD players and the use of iPads instead. In reading a few it appears that headrest DVD players will not allow the headrest to be tilted.

I see a bunch of factory/OEM headrest units avail on EBay. Not considering the lack of warranty, but how do these things get power to them? I would imagine they're not just drop-in-and-play, or are they? Also, how are they synced so that you can watch one DVD on both units?

I see a bunch of factory/OEM headrest units avail on EBay. Not considering the lack of warranty, but how do these things get power to them? I would imagine they're not just drop-in-and-play, or are they? Also, how are they synced so that you can watch one DVD on both units?
Found the following using 'Search'. Not sure if it will answer any of your questions.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/installing-aftermarket-dvd-headrests.309205/

Peter

Back