Question for those with cargo baskets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for those with cargo baskets

SingleStack

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Limited
Just wondering how you went about mounting. My research tells me the factory roof rack holds 150 pounds max but I'm not sure if that's just for the cross bars. I don't have them anyway so would probanly just mount straight to the side rails. With the weight of the rack, spare fuel, and water I'm probably going to exceed that. For those with backets, what did you do to mount yours?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey what's up man. I too am building my rig up for some overland trips. As of right now I'm running 2 stock cross bars with a Rola basket with extension and use the provided 4 stock mounts. So far the most I've loaded up top is a tent cot, another 4 man tent, 4 folding chairs, 5ft folding table, hi lift jack and a kids bike up there. Estimating around 160-170lbs probably a bit more. Everything held up fine as long as the weight is evenly distributed on the rack. I do have another stock crossbar I'm planning on throwing on for more support. I just ordered an ARB awning to mount on the side so that'll be another 35+ lbs added.

Here's a pic all loaded up
101E7BC0-B1B1-4DDC-84DC-F97BF32FB4B3.jpg

Nice, I was looking at the Rola. How long does it end up being with the extension? Looks like it actually comes out above the sunroof, which I actually don't really mind.

After tearing mine off and replacing with a custom rack, here is my thoughts. They are just thoughts may or may not be correct.

I've stood in a basket sitting on factory rails. They are plenty strong to hold over 200 maybe even over 300. That isn't the rating. The factory rails are attached via well nuts to the sheet metal of the roof. The bolts are about a 1/4 in diameter. My guess is the rating comes from what can safely be held up there during a crash. 200lbs x 60mph is WAY MORE force than 150x60. It's likely the rating is set that low so you don't have a projectile launch from your roof when you rear end the guy who just cut you off and slammed on his brakes.

The weight rating is dynamic, yes. So basically it's the weight the rack can safely carry while the vehicle is in motion. I just don't know if the rating is based on the side rail mounting points or the crossbars themselves. Either way, I could increase that weight limit by building a one-piece rack and reinforcing the mounting points but it's easier to pack smarter and work within the limits of the factory rating.

That said, I did find a set of OEM crossbars at the local pick n pull - literally the one 3rd gen on the whole damn lot, and it luckily had the bars. I'm looking at that Rola rack pretty hard, it's priced right and with the extension it's the perfect size for my needs.

Also, I've had second thoughts on putting fuel on the roof. Since the NATO cans are leakproof I'm going to build a sliding mount for them on top of the storage system. The rack will then carry the tent and other camp items - chairs, awning, etc, and my axe and murder spork. That will leave the drawers for other things like tools, recovery gear, and dry/canned goods. I will say it's been a real ***** to pack everything in the Ex without having a rack so that's the next item on the list for sure.

Nice, I was looking at the Rola. How long does it end up being with the extension? Looks like it actually comes out above the sunroof, which I actually don't really mind.
With the extension the rack is almost 6ft long. Here's a pic without the extension
AA03FAEB-37BA-4D06-B38F-E102FCB1D104.jpg

And with the extension
DC97834F-14ED-41F8-B92A-BE80E8BE0D57.jpg

It does stick out about another 6-8" from the front of the factory rail.

Also, I've had second thoughts on putting fuel on the roof. Since the NATO cans are leakproof I'm going to build a sliding mount for them on top of the storage system. The rack will then carry the tent and other camp items - chairs, awning, etc, and my axe and murder spork. That will leave the drawers for other things like tools, recovery gear, and dry/canned goods. I will say it's been a real ***** to pack everything in the Ex without having a rack so that's the next item on the list for sure.
That'll be a nice setup. I too am building mine up to a basic overland vehicle. For now I have just a hi-lift Jack and ARB awning mounted on the sides of the Rola rack. As for recovery gear traction jack folds up nicely and stored in the trunk along with a foldable shovel/pick. Have you looked at the rotopax gas/water cans? Those are next on my list and will be securely mounted up top in the rack. I've read that people had no issues with them outside under the heat. Btw do you have pics of your setup inside the vehicle?

I looked into them but a four-gallon Roto is about the cost of two Wavian five-gallon NATO cans.

Here's some interior shots. I still haven't finished the drawers. Still gotta get sliders and pull the whole thing out to paint. The cooler will eventually be replaced with an Indel fridge but for now the cooler does ok for weekend trips.

20160826_175351_zpsu0amnmbz.jpg

20160820_162408_zpswuyykhui.jpg

20160826_180955_zpsiwhxp0ix.jpg

20160828_121400_zpsmqqmb0yj.jpg

Rotopax is expensive compared to what I have now which is a POS leaky Briggs and Stratton 5gallon can. But I guess you get what you pay for and dealing with gas I'll pay a bit more. Plus it'll mount vertical and horizontally to fit many applications.

I wish I can do a rear trunk drawer system like yours. It's looking great btw! But I need the third row seats for the kids.. hence the reason why I'm throwing mostly everything up top. What's your setup for a kitchen? I'm using a Coleman 2 burner propane stove and a cooler similar to yours. I can't justify a fridge right now but would love one. Cooler works great since I'm only doing 2-3 day trips.

Yeah those cheap gas cans are terrible for storing gas. They're meant for emergencies and short-term storage but that's about it. The NATO cans can store on their spine, several companies make cradles designed to secure them that way and it lowers the required height a bit. Not all NATO cans are created equal, though. The ones we'll be using are from Wavian.

Our camp kitchen right now is good old fashioned fire, but we live in an area where burn bans are extremely rare. By the time we start making trips out of state we'll have purchased a camp stove (looking at the 3-burner Coleman Even Temp) and all of our kitchen gear will be in a Camp Chef Sherpa (the Ozark Trail version, it's way cheaper). That will be on the deck alongside the fuel and water cans. Wanted to put the fridge in the back when we finally get one but they're all too tall so that will go on the floor where the cooler is now.

What are yall doing about cross bars? I noticed not all explorers come with them? can anyone tell me which models did? or what you guys are using in their place?

I finally found OEMs at a local junk yard. Not all came with the cross bars, and some people just take them off for whatever reason. You can do what I did and get them from a junk yard, or you can probably find them on ebay. If you get them on ebay just make sure you get a set that has the brackets that go inside the side rails.

I finally found OEMs at a local junk yard. Not all came with the cross bars, and some people just take them off for whatever reason. You can do what I did and get them from a junk yard, or you can probably find them on ebay. If you get them on ebay just make sure you get a set that has the brackets that go inside the side rails.

Yea i found a pair on ebay for $75:( im going to hit the local pick and pull yard tomorrow and hopefully get lucky.

Your best bet is at the junkyard. I got mine off eBay but they were new unused for 60 shipped. But like SingleStack said, make sure you get all the mounting hardware especially the bracket inside the rail.

Haha mine were $30 and a near-death experience. Goddamn truck almost tipped off its blocks when I climbed up to get the damn things. :D

Back