Phase 1

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
Callsign
KE5PNR
I have a 99' Explorer Sport that came standard with a tape deck and have no problems with it up until recently when it just quit on me. When I went to work one morning and popped in a tape, it took the tape and locked in place like normal except it would not play. When I hit play and fast forward it just says no tape inserted on the screen. Is there some sort of sensor I should be cleaning or am I just straight out of luck?

I have a 99' Explorer Sport that came standard with a tape deck and have no problems with it up until recently when it just quit on me. When I went to work one morning and popped in a tape, it took the tape and locked in place like normal except it would not play. When I hit play and fast forward it just says no tape inserted on the screen. Is there some sort of sensor I should be cleaning or am I just straight out of luck?
If you're set on keeping the interior stock just go to a junk yard and pull a factory deck. It shouldn't be hard to find and i'm pretty sure that the 4 door radios will work too, It's easy to pull one out either buy removal tools for a few bucks or use some thick coat hanger, you can google this for a better explanation. Otherwise i'd recommend going to an aftermarket head unit which will give you a lot more features(such as Bluetooth calling and media) and they're so cheap now it's not even funny. I recently put a XO vision receiver that was $20 new into my sisters ford and it improved the sound and gave her bluetooth, although i'd recomend spending a little bit more if you can. Love my pioneer in my sport!

Hmmmm was the XO a drop in or did you have to modify the wiring harness any?

Hmmmm was the XO a drop in or did you have to modify the wiring harness any?
The way to do it is to buy an adapter for your oem harness. That way it's a completely reversible process and your harness is not modified. You simply solder the radio harness to the adapter and then plug the adapter into your oem harness. You'll need a dash kit as well. If you're going as cheap as possible i'd expect to spend somewhere around $45 to $55 for a cheap radio, dash kit, and adapter.

Back