• Register Today It's free!

Parts to grab for manual swap?

JB3

Reaction score
City, State
RI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer sport
I have access to a 99 3.0 5 speed ranger to swap gearbox parts into my 4.0 automatic 99 explorer sport.

I am planning to grab the gearbox, transfer case, pedal assembly, related trim bits for the shifter ect, and flywheel.

My questions are will the 3.0 flywheel work on a 4.0? do I need to grab the TCM from the ranger and swap into the explorer, and will that work since the engine was different, or do I need to find a 4.0 manual variant in the yard for that part?

also are there any additional parts that I should grab as well that im missing

any advice much appreciated, thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.0 and 4.0 are different transmissions

There are 2 different bell housings. 2.3 and 3.0 share the same and the 4.0 is it's own.

There are 2 different bell housings. 2.3 and 3.0 share the same and the 4.0 is it's own.

ok thanks for stopping me! I could see going to the trouble to pull the gearbox and hunting for a bellhousing if this was extremely rare, but with such a common vehicle as a ranger I should just look for the correct one. So to clarify in my mind, any 4.0 OHV gearbox should work behind my 4.0 SOHC?

other than nearly grabbing the incorrect part, any other stuff I should make sure to grab that I have forgotten? Do I absolutely need the TCM to do this swap, and do I need any part of the harness to go with it?

Are you 2wd or 4x4? You want to use the sohc trans as it is an HD version.

Are you 2wd or 4x4? You want to use the sohc trans as it is an HD version.
4wd. Does that mean I need a gearbox from only another explorer? Will the Ranger 4.0 OHV M50D work if thats all that can be found?

01+ Ranger or Explorer Sport or Sport Trac is what you want.

You will need some kind of a custom tune to delete the automatic trans functions. Too bad you don't have an 01+, I have a for sale thread with everything you would need.

You will need some kind of a custom tune to delete the automatic trans functions. Too bad you don't have an 01+, I have a for sale thread with everything you would need.

Can you describe more the issues that would arise here?

What are the functional issues when that isnt done?

Pretty sure the pcm goes into limp mode without the transmission

man this PCM issue is quite the road block for what would appear to have been a simple and enjoyable swap job. From what I can tell, things are as you say, im going to need a custom tune on the PCM, where my understanding is they simply shut off the transmission functions sent to the PCM so its not looking for them, and theoretically it works? Ive found lots of threads talking about this, and no posts back saying anyone actually had it done!
I thought at first I might be able to snag the 4.0 OHV PCM related to the manual and simply install it, but it looks definitively like that will not work due to loss of other functions.

looks like my next step needs to be making a bunch of calls to tuners to see what they can do, or if they even work on something that old.

alternately, what if i try and grab a PCM from a 5-speed SOHC mustang, or keep my eyes open for a SOHC ranger with a 5-speed? theoretically could that work?

alternately, what if i try and grab a PCM from a 5-speed SOHC mustang, or keep my eyes open for a SOHC ranger with a 5-speed? theoretically could that work?

You would have to compare the pinout tables to see all the outputs are there. Speedometer and trans controls could be different. Different gear ratios, etc. Guess programming could take care of that. Probably a ranger would be the closest match, they use the same trans and gauges.

You would be better off using the setup I'm selling and swapping to a newer intake manifold. There might be a few wiring differences to work through like PATS security.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...manual-transmission-swap-kit-complete.452447/

Its a nice kit, but ultimately I have to ask myself is it worth the work when I could just buy another explorer that is manual transmission already for a reasonable price, which might be the direction I head.

Yes that is the question. You cant get a manual SOHC until the 01 sport or sport trac just FYI.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back