Mad Max - Galaxie Tow Rig | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mad Max - Galaxie Tow Rig

Hate to hear that about the heads. Bummer.
Every time I have had a set of heads done the guides are always replaced "Just Because".

So???

What is Round #2?

You should start a poll and get results.

I say 71 Mustang

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Would be fun to do a Mustang, however, I've had this one rotting away in the garage for over 3 years now!

Battery%20Tray%20027_zpsgt2pk2u7.jpg

It's current state:

001_zps6t4mhnak.jpg

Feels good to finally be working on it again!

68 Fairlane?

68 Fairlane?

Hey Shucker, it is actually a 68 Galaxie. I'll get a new thread started somewhere in the basement of the forum in the next couple days and post the link here.

Finally got out and did a little Baja driving in the desert, it was a blast!

087_zpsryiw8qiw.jpg

So she's running like a top now?! Cool...

So she's running like a top now?! Cool...

Haha! Well, only burned a quart and a half of oil, but other than that, absolutely great! I need to bring everyone up to date with where Maxy Max is at. At the moment, I plan on throwing a new set of heads on it in 2 weeks (fix the oil burning problem). No other problems to report!

After market Heads?

Y?

Get your reworked correctly this time keep her all stock.

Just my opinion.

My dad had a 69 Galaxy with a 390. We got a "Special Order Build" a 390 with a 2 BBL Carb and an adapter plate over a 4 BBL manifold.

We called it "The Green Hornet".

Well, finally above 40 degrees here. Plan on getting everyone caught up and get the build rolling again here in the next few weeks!

16797012_10212451343903816_7022017023427786419_o.jpg

Hey guys, been way way way too long! Just a heads up that the car still runs, drove it to California and back this past September, been out a time or two in the mud (almost got stuck but the swampers dug me out :) ) However, before I try to bring my tow rig thread back from the dead, does anyone know any decent free image hosting services? I had to renew my Photobucket membership to get my photos to revive, but would like to stay in the free section of the internet if I can.... Thanks!

Stuck%201_zpsefonu1z5.jpg

Since you're an elite member why not use the Explorer Forum to host your photos? It won't cost anything and they may stay visible even after you're no longer a member. You can post up to 10 photos per post. Just click on the "Upload a File" button. That's the way I post all of my photos.

Since you're an elite member why not use the Explorer Forum to host your photos? It won't cost anything and they may stay visible even after you're no longer a member. You can post up to 10 photos per post. Just click on the "Upload a File" button. That's the way I post all of my photos.

It looks like his Elite membership expired.

$20 well spent in my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up guys!! I didn't know I could host the photos right here on the site, that is definitely the no-brainer solution to my problem. This forum rocks!

Down in the right hand corner of the reply section button says "Upload a File"

So, let me kick this back off with a few additions that have made life much better for the Junker. First and foremost going back to August of 2016, I had ordered and installed some sweet aftermarket fans!

004.JPG

They move something stupid - like 2750 CFM. It keeps her cool unless it gets above 95 degrees outside, then she starts to creep up to the danger zone (though, if I'd keep from getting dirt in the radiator slats I'd probably be doing a little better). To run this thing, I needed some fuses and relays. I took a look at all the aftermarket kits and fuse boxes, etc, etc... but they all were expensive and were either not straight forward, way beyond my capabilities, or way overkill for what I needed. So I went to the junk yard and got a fuse box out of a 93 Ford Explorer :)

016.JPG

I can't tell you how nice this fuse box was to work with! It was like playing with legos! All the blocks and cells are removable, there are a ton of little jumpers all pre-made that you can re-arrange, it was just a piece of cake and easy to deal with! Here is what it looked like all taken apart:

021.JPG

Once it was apart, I just put the cells back in that I wanted (cells that hold relays) and then picked through the wires I removed and rewired them for my relays. The best part, I just used the relays from the Explorer to run them!

025.JPG

So I have my two fuses, then they are jumped from the backside using the stock wires to the relays, which then go on to switches under the dash and to the fans. It even left me with room for 4 more relays! Going to have to find things to fill those empty slots with....

I know I have a picture somewhere of the fusebox installed under the hood, but for the life of me I can't find it. I'll get out and get a pic here in the next few days.

Another something or other that got added at some point was expanded metal over the rear window. I'm very happy with it!

Winter1.jpg

American ingenuity at it's best.

I really like the radiator overflow tank!

Now that's recycling.

Hopefully it was empty before it saw it's second life.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So at some point this summer I noticed a pretty bad vibration at speed. I took the tires off to get them balanced and ta-da, I had rusted out brake drums.

009 resize.jpg

Snagged some from Napa and dropped them on in place of the old ones:

008 resize.jpg

And due to a crappy alignment and general neglect, I wore through the skinny Swampers I had on the front, so I picked up a pair of General Grabbers to replace them.

007 resize.jpg

The thing sings down the road now nice and smooth. I also replaced the Explorer Coils I put in the rear with some out of an '87 Mercury but I can't find pics of that at the moment.

Back