• Register Today It's free!

Need advice

Grisham

Reaction score
City, State
Rolla mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 ford explorer
I have a 1995 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 motor in it the transmission will not shift into drive or overdrive and overdrive light on the dash is blinking . first and second and reverse ando 4-wheel drive seem to work fine. what should I do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1995 Ford Explorer with a 4.0 motor in it the transmission will not shift into drive or overdrive and overdrive light on the dash is blinking . first and second and reverse ando 4-wheel drive seem to work fine. what should I do?

it sounds like your transmition is shot if i was you i would call some local shops and get quotes on a rebuild instead of replacing or get a used one from a junk yard or ebay but definetly do not try to do it yourself unless you have access to a post lift.

Search this site for OD light flashing. Subject is covered well on here. OD light flashing usually means torque converter is not locking up when it should. Your shift problem may be something else all together.

it sounds like your transmition is shot if i was you i would call some local shops and get quotes on a rebuild instead of replacing or get a used one from a junk yard or ebay but definetly do not try to do it yourself unless you have access to a post lift.

No post lift? Get ready to go "Old School": pull your truck into a field, and dig a trench and a nice, big hole under the truck for access. :)

Good luck.

No post lift? Get ready to go "Old School": pull your truck into a field, and dig a trench and a nice, big hole under the truck for access. :)

Good luck.

Sounds like an excellent way kill yourself.

Good luck.

I don't believe I'd use this advice, there's better and safer ways

Well ... probably the amount of digging would be calculated by assessing the moisture content and composition of the soil, the weight of the vehicle, the size of the parts to be removed, and the stupidity of the person in the pit. Maybe in desperate times? But after full and careful consideration, not the greatest of ideas.

Really, just being ridiculous. Sorry if anyone gave this serious consideration.

Oops,

Back