Do you relieve fuel pressure prior to replacing the fuel filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do you relieve fuel pressure prior to replacing the fuel filter?

joshhemming

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Aerostar 2wd 3.0L
I'm doing an oil change myself tomorrow and thought I'd replace the fuel filter, too. I've only did that a couple of times on this Aerostar but I seem to remember pulling a connector or pushing a button behind the passenger kick panel. That was supposed to relieve the fuel pressure but I distinctly remember gas squirting 6 feet for a few seconds after I removed the outlet fuel line from the filter anyway.

So, do you guys follow that procedure or just yank the fuel lines off the filter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the x I hook up the fiel pressure tester to the fuel rail and press the relief button to relieve the fuel pressure.

The button you speak of is the intertia/roll over switch. It doesn't relieve the pressure. It just turns off the fuel pump. Also. if ots the same as the x you acually either hit right next to it with a rubber mallet or disconnect the harness. Pressing the button is how you reset it after it gets tripped.

~Mark

The trick that you're referring to about relieving fuel pressure with the inertia switch unplugged is as follows. Unplug the inertia switch, crank the engine, replace the fuel filter, then plug the inertia switch back in. I've never had to relieve fuel pressure before replacing a fuel filter. Wait a little while after shutting off the engine before you replace the fuel filter for the pressure to dissipate.

Don't you have a Schrader type valve on the fuel rail? That's what I always push. But I can't remember if the Aerostar 4.0 has this? don-ohio :)^)

I just finished the job.

I followed the Haynes directions: pulled the connector off the inertia/rollover switch, started the engine and waited a few seconds until it stalled from lack of fuel. When I pulled the lines off the filter, there was still quite a bit of fuel that shot out and then flowed out. It finally stopped. After installing the new filter it took about 8 seconds of cranking for the engine to start. Mine normally only takes a couple of seconds if the fuel lines haven't been opened.

A mechanic I know says his technique for all vehicles' fuel filters is to simply remove the gas cap. That takes the pressure off the lines.

I never do but it's not smart. Pull the fuel pump relay and crank and run till dead then repair. Your choice if you want to wear and taste fuel or not.

Last but not least,never take any trouble light or source of ignition under the car that could ignite that gas. don-ohio :)^)

Back