Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford) | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not another V8 swap thread (N2Ford)

The yard I use does not have any good beds at all, either damaged or sold. I will keep an eye out.

I have a non pats ecu now anyway, I will have to see what size my extra set of injectors are, I have several laying around.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

96-97 ecu's ( all XDT and SLL series) will run the later 99-01 setups, but they will run pig rich, and you only get about 10 mpg. This is what i did when i did mine, but had to run it this way til i got my custom tune from a guy in Owensboro, 2 years later and I'm doing my own...

SVT

Spray some pb blaster there and try again...slowly. I would just stick with that stock intake too... Is your fuel pressure staying up there under load? Does it sound just like you are missing just 1 cylinder? I had an issue with a misfire and had to re-route my plug wires. They need to be away from each other. My config is completely different from stock and I haven't had an issue since I made the changes and it has been a couple years.

You should just come by the house some time. I am not that far from you. I've got quite a few "extra" parts if you ever get in a jam too.

Hey SVT...how much you going to ask for your ST. I am selling mine as I bought a 2nd gen with a v8. Think I will need to put a new 5.0 in it though. :)

I'm probably gonna want about $5k. Not looking to get rich off it, but not gonna give it away either. Gotta buy another truck...

SVT

I listed it for $7800. I am in no rush and wasn't sure what to ask for it, so I started high. I am already finding issues with the new ST I just bought that need attention, so I am in no hurry to get rid of it. :) It has been my go to vehicle when all the others have given me problems.

I forgot to update this after the thermostat problem. The bolt finally came out but did break a little bit of the intake. It was on the outer portion so it was able to be sealed and then put some jb weld on it and it seems to be good now. It still has a higher rpm miss. I have taken it to a local shop to see what they think it is. I changed the throttle body as the one that was on the engine was very crappy looking with oxidation. It did not help the running but made me feel better.
He are a couple of pics of the ST that my old engine went into. It will be my sons truck, he turns 15 in March. It runs and drives really good.

I know ttbit is trying to sell his V8 ST, we need to get the Knoxville area Explorer guys together before he sells it. Maybe an evening at a restaurant now that the Holidays are over?

Attachments

• 0101151721.jpg
    0101151721.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 325
  • 0101151722 (1).jpg
    0101151722 (1).jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 343

Yes. We should try to get together. I will not be free until the week after next, later in the week. Let me know what you guys think.

[MENTION=132128]RangerSVT[/MENTION] and N2Ford What did you end up doing for the rear driveshaft since you used the 4406 electronic transfer case? Is the transfer case wiring all the original sport trac since you swapped the motor as well?

Thanks in advance for your help. I am seriously considering doing the 5.0 swap with the 4406 electronic transfer case. My sport trac has 230k and due to it being a southern garage kept vehicle is in nearly brand new condition. I just referbed the entire suspension added the 2" lift and bigger all terrain tires. My only issue is I don't want to pour money into the 4.0 as I will need to replace most of the major components soon, almost everything in the engine bay is original. The truck has really grown on me, but just is lacking in power especially when I need to pass on 2 lane country roads. Looking at doing the swap with headers then doing trick flow heads/cam/intake after I get everything running.

The shift motor from the trac (1354) bolts right up to the 4406. On the driveshaft, I don't remember what application it was, but we measured the difference between the 1354 and 4406, subtracted that from the length of the original driveshaft, then matched up that number with a factory shaft. I want to say it was from an expedition, but don't remember if 2wd or 4wd...

SVT

RangerSVT welded a drive shaft that I used for the first while. I eventually found a shaft that was the correct length. I think it was from a GM and found adapter u-joints to make it work. I can dig up the u-joint numbers if you need them.

The shift motor from the trac (1354) bolts right up to the 4406. On the driveshaft, I don't remember what application it was, but we measured the difference between the 1354 and 4406, subtracted that from the length of the original driveshaft, then matched up that number with a factory shaft. I want to say it was from an expedition, but don't remember if 2wd or 4wd...

SVT

Did you look at the wiring changes enough to have an idea of which wires from the 4WD V6 system were missing from the V8 harnesses? Which wiring harnesses get changed to convert to V8?

I'm going to install the TOD 4406 into my 98 302 AWD this year, and I gather that it will need a couple of wires from the V6 4WD harnesses. I have the three different dash modules already.

I also plan to convert my 99 V6 truck to 302 eventually, and ideally I'd like it to have the TOD 4406 also.

You used the 302 engine/trans harness, but is all of the 4WD wiring in the dash and bay harness alone?

My 302 AWD truck will have the 4WD dash wiring I gather, except for some power wire or two that are in the V6 4WD trucks. That's what I recall from the one conversion thread that Aaron did with his 98 Mountaineer 10+ years ago. I think his may be the only TOD conversion thread on here for a 302 truck.

I didn't notice it mentioned but I have what I believe is a rear drive shaft from a 90 F150 supercab short bed 5.8 auto. It bolted right up to my 5.0/M5R2/4406 swapped 01 Trac. Correct U joints and length.

Hopefully future ST swappers can benefit.

I'll have to do one on my v8 sport since its now running a e shift 4406!

Haven't posted in a while to this thread. When Rick did the install he put new Dorman exhaust manifolds on it. For the last few months I have been hearing an exhaust noise, took it to Mighty muffler in Knoxville and they found the right broken in half.
IMG_20190106_074143868.jpg

They put another Dorman on and am going again. Hopefully this one last longer.

To get the 1354 shift motor to turn the 4406 t case you will need to add one wire to the 5.0 harness
one wire is missing from the DTRS to the 42 pin C115 connector on the 5.0 trucks, a Neutral safety. After that the V6 ESOF system will be happy with the new 4r70w and 4406 t case and start shifting.

I have a brown wire in/on the 4406 I purchased that is not attached to anything. What's it for.

Also installing my engine and drivers side exhaust it's extremly tight against (not sure what it's called) Is it needed? See attached photo

Attachments

• IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 111

I have a brown wire in/on the 4406 I purchased that is not attached to anything. What's it for.

Also installing my engine and drivers side exhaust it's extremly tight against (not sure what it's called) Is it needed? See attached photo
I was told it had to do with vibration dampening.
I tried to fit my exhaust in without realizing it was right in the way and dropped the diff to get at all of the bolts.
My 4406 had the brown clutch wire as well, I taped it up in the harness.
That neutral signal @410Fortune was talking about seemed to be on pin 14 on the pcm (by memory) and ran it to connect to my ST line. (Am I right?)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes that is a front diff vibration damper, one of the first things to hit the scrap heap when I work on a sport trac

The brown wire on the 4406 is for TOD, many of these cases are torque on demand capable the brown wire used to activate the internal clutch

SOME 5.0 drivetrains are missing the NSS circuit (red/white 463) feed needed for the ESOF 4x4 systems
Wires go from the DTRS to the GEM module or 4x4 control module on a V6. In a v8 the wires do not exist because the 5.0 trucks never had any sort of ESOF 4x4 system. You can simply add these wires. Check their locations at the c110/C116 (42 pin connector) because the location changes from v6 to v8..........make sure the signal is reaching the gem or 4x4 control module with a continuity test.

It works like this:
Ground ---------> black wire into the DTRS
When in N the DTRS sends that ground back to the truck via the red white wire (463)
That wire travels through the 42 pin connector and into the cab where it should reach the GEM
This will allow the v6 4x4 system to shift again
The Ranger, Explorer, Sport trac and 4406 transfer case shift motors are all the same with different connectors. Please use a motor you know works good for troubleshooting.
Also check all fuses, sometimes the 4x4 system wont work after a 5.0 conversion due to a blown fuse, something people often overlook

Back