Leaking Cargo Window?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking Cargo Window??

I'm sick of my on again off again water leak. Ordered the material from Amazon...going to do this. FYI the sports are a PITA to get the rear panels out completely.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Finally decided to tackle this. The window leak was keeping me from driving while it rained.

Pulled the panel off and found all the nuts to be secure, damn.

Heading to NAPA (<-- link) to pick up a 3M 08620. Gonna try the 1/4" stuff first. At only $11, it's not an expensive job.

I just noticed both of my windows starting to leak and just went in and tightened the nuts hoping this will cure it. thanks for this article. it was very helpful.

Hi all,

I have a bit of a space around the edges of the rear window that I just fixed using adhesive weather proof tape.

Would a bit of silicone in the gaps be alright for this?

Cheers

Jake

Hi all,

I have a bit of a space around the edges of the rear window that I just fixed using adhesive weather proof tape.

Would a bit of silicone in the gaps be alright for this?

Cheers

Jake
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend just patching this issue if you're leaking when it rains. I was able to fix mine by tightening down all the nuts and pouring water over the seal until I had the torquing proper on each one. I used the silicone, and while it kept the volume of water down, it was only a band-aid. Scraped it off, tightened it down correctly, and was much happier with the results. No drips in months. Some people have had to do the whole seal, but that is entirely situational. You really only need a trim puller and an (8?)mm wrench if I remember correctly. I was able to tighten all of them without entirely removing the trunk panels, they flex enough to get the job done. Its worth the thirty minutes or hour to do this one right if you need to.

I took of the whole window and put weatherproof adhesive tape where the original stuff was to keep out the water.

Just waiting for it to rain so I can see if I fixed it...

The gap is normal when you use bigger then what the factory used. If it doesn't leak after the repair I wouldn't worry about it.

The rope butyl from NAPA I used was too thick, and in some areas, had some slight gaps between the window's surround and body. AFAIK, window surround seated flush after time in summer heat.

I took of the whole window and put weatherproof adhesive tape where the original stuff was to keep out the water.

Just waiting for it to rain so I can see if I fixed it...
Seems like I misread your original post. My bad! :laugh:

You could always pour buckets of water on it, or hit it with the hose. I had to suffice with a large water bottle. Still recommend pulling the trim back just a bit to see if it leaks so that its easier to find where it comes from.

Back