???Fluid Exchange via Coolling line??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

???Fluid Exchange via Coolling line???

Ionizer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Question:
Looking for the most efficient fluid exchange as I'm planning to switch from Motorcraft MerconV to Mobil 1 synthetic.

Would 12 quarts do it with a pan/valve body drop first followed by a flush through the external cooling lines?

Just wondering how the fluid flows through the transmission when it's cool and not under load.

Background: If your interested

5R55E on a 98 4.0 SOHC with 155,000 miles. Current fluid is clean Motorcraft MerconV. Flushed it with 10 qt via the external cooling lines last year. Fluid has always been flushed every 30,000 to 40,000 via lube shops prior to my flush that I learned about from here last year.

After familiarizing myself with the underside of my X its apparent the pan hasn't been dropped in over 10 years if ever. It was maintained via the dealership for the 1st 75,000 miles of its life before I got it.

I want to drop the pan, install a drain plug, and put a rebuilt/updated valve body on it I already have. No problems with the tranny, just preventive measure for the 20 y/o Servos and V/B. Planning to refill with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.

For those of you that run Mobil 1 will you extend your fluid exchanges or still stick to 30,000 miles?

Back