• Register Today It's free!

Issue with Sync in 2011 Explorer

joe_c

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I purchased the vehicle used a few years back and with the help from this website got a USB to upgrade Sync software to v3.6. Fast forward to this past weekend, I got in the vehicle and it said it was waiting for the USB to upgrade. Not only was I not upgrading it, there has been nothing inserted into the USB since that update in 2014. I took it into my Ford dealership (which I trust my service guy) and he inserted a USB to get it going. It failed, so he said it would be covered under the extended warranty Ford put on the Sync devices. Got the call today that the extended warranty on the radio ended last December. He said he would split the cost, so my total would be $445 to replace the APIM.

The radio is in a quasi working state, still stuck on "Updating 3 of 9", but other than that, it is useless. Backup camera works, but I can't change radio stations. About 50% of the options work on the dash cluster.

Outside of calling Ford and filing a complaint, what are my options? I can't find the USB that I have and feel like this should be covered, my explorer hasn't even passed 100k...

Thing is, I love this car, but it has had a lot of warranty work since I bought it, including an engine rebuild around 60k.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I purchased the vehicle used a few years back and with the help from this website got a USB to upgrade Sync software to v3.6. Fast forward to this past weekend, I got in the vehicle and it said it was waiting for the USB to upgrade. Not only was I not upgrading it, there has been nothing inserted into the USB since that update in 2014. I took it into my Ford dealership (which I trust my service guy) and he inserted a USB to get it going. It failed, so he said it would be covered under the extended warranty Ford put on the Sync devices. Got the call today that the extended warranty on the radio ended last December. He said he would split the cost, so my total would be $445 to replace the APIM.

The radio is in a quasi working state, still stuck on "Updating 3 of 9", but other than that, it is useless. Backup camera works, but I can't change radio stations. About 50% of the options work on the dash cluster.

Outside of calling Ford and filing a complaint, what are my options? I can't find the USB that I have and feel like this should be covered, my explorer hasn't even passed 100k...

Thing is, I love this car, but it has had a lot of warranty work since I bought it, including an engine rebuild around 60k.
FYI, the latest MFT software version is 3.8. Were you able to change radio stations before this latest problem? The APIM is the 'brains' of MyFord Touch but I don't believe it has any effects on the clusters in the dash. Since you say the screen is 'stuck' on updating I'm guessing that you are unable to select the settings to do a Master Reset.
Have you tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for 10 minutes or so before reconnecting to see if that has any effect on the problem? NOTE: You will lose some memory settings doing this.

Peter

Edit: To answer your question, I tried that before taking it to the dealership and left it unplugged for 2 hours. What's weird is even after that, all of my radio stations are still set. Weird.

Here is the update as of now: ITS WORKING!

So how I got here. After this started and I couldn't find my USB Ford sent me two years back so I took it to the dealership. They stuck in a USB, in which I asked if it was the same version as mine (3.6). They said it shouldn't matter and it started to update. It failed, the radio and backup camera worked, but it was just stuck on the update part. He said it should be covered under warranty, so I agreed to take it in the next day (yesterday). I dropped it off in the morning and yesterday afternoon he called and said that it wasn't under warranty and he'd split the cost. I told him that I'd think about it since apparently these APIM like to fail and didn't want to be stuck in this situation again. In addition to the other previous warranty work (engine rebuild, backup camera going out, fog light replacement among other things) and my car creeping up on 100k, I really don't want to put more money into it. I know, $500 isn't a lot, but it's the principle. I picked the Explorer up and absolutely nothing worked. In addition, he told me the tech mentioned that it had never been updated. This kind of pissed me off because I updated it and had records on the Ford Sync website to back it up. Now that I think about it, the USB the stuck in there might have wiped it out.

So last night, I spent an hour in my attic and found the USB. Took it to the car and it updated! BUT...... it was in a continual update loop: update -> reboot -> update -> reboot. So I gave up for the night. This morning, I decided to try one more time and when it rebooted after the update completed, I pulled the USB. Everything is back in working order. I still trust my service guy, but I am going to voice my opinion on what the tech tried.

So last night, I spent an hour in my attic and found the USB. Took it to the car and it updated! BUT...... it was in a continual update loop: update -> reboot -> update -> reboot. So I gave up for the night. This morning, I decided to try one more time and when it rebooted after the update completed, I pulled the USB. Everything is back in working order. I still trust my service guy, but I am going to voice my opinion on what the tech tried.
So are you running 3.6.2 or the latest 3.8?

Peter

Assuming the 3.6 since that's what they sent me and that's what I used to get it out of the loop. At this point I don't think I'd want to upgrade it even if I had it.

Well, it looked like everything was working but navigation is not. In the upper right where it's supposed to be, it's labeled "Information" but it does have the compass that accurately shows direction. But when I push on that quadrant, nothing happens, whereas before it pulled the map full screen. Any thoughts, or am I just SOL until I replace the APIM?

You should try running the 3.8 upgrade. Hopefully the system didn't lose its Nav license. Otherwise the dealer will have to force an re-install.

What's the easiest way to get that? When I got my last one, it was from a Ford employee that monitored this board.

Well, it looked like everything was working but navigation is not. In the upper right where it's supposed to be, it's labeled "Information" but it does have the compass that accurately shows direction. But when I push on that quadrant, nothing happens, whereas before it pulled the map full screen. Any thoughts, or am I just SOL until I replace the APIM?
Can't be totally sure but I think when it reads "Information" instead of 'Navigation' it is because of an issue with the S/D card. Someone can likely comment on that.
Not sure if this thread is of any help; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/gpsm-and-apim-testing-nav-issues.437837/

Peter

What's the easiest way to get that? When I got my last one, it was from a Ford employee that monitored this board.

I responded to your PM. Get back to me when you get the chance.

Shaay

The exe file changes to a zip file which should be unzipped so the contents are on the root folder of a blank fat32 usb drive and take it to the vehicle and install with the vehicle running.

The exe file changes to a zip file which should be unzipped so the contents are on the root folder of a blank fat32 usb drive and take it to the vehicle and install with the vehicle running.

So I spent the better part of last night trying to get it installed, but I could never get it out of the boot loop. I went back to my 3.6 USB and was able to get it working again. Honestly, I'm ok with the nav not working. I never use it since my phone has more up to date maps and we take my wife's SUV on trips. Thanks for the help everyone!

Back