M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 43 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I am lucky then because, wait for it..........
My shaft is thinner. lol.
Lol thats what she said..

Yea i bs about putting my solid mount in and really wasnt exspecting so violent of tire shake..these 295s just cant hold the road,they will break loose when boost comes in even when warm..ive had them break loose in upper rpms in 3rd before from downshifting on the highway..1&2nd is worthless unless they are HOT,lower air psi and peddling it..i miss my slicks :( but again as soon as i start sticking,im sure more stuff is gonna break more often .

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Well little update,called to pick up the block..he wants the cam to check the new cam bearings and then he'll do finial assembly of the short block,im gonna put the heads on since the lifters need to be installed. .also i think im going to tack weld Toms rocker bracket to the 3 pedestals on the head,trying to keep the bracket from rocking..

Any rate the final bill was $1,255 for everything including the copper gaskets ..thats before the money he said he'd take off for messing up the aviators heads..little higher than was thinking but he did do ALOT of work..

Ill update the list if find something i forgot.
BLOCK--
-Block over bored to 4"
-Decked and grooved for O-rings.
-Crank turned to rod bearings.
-Rod bearings chamfered to rods.
-Assembly of rods and pistons.
-Rotating assembly check for clearances installed.

HEADS-
-Decked
-Bronze guides
-Spring seat and valve steam perch milled for 988 springs and for .567 lift
-Oversized hardened seats In/Ex
-Fitting of oversized seats.
-Fitting of oversized valves and valve job
-Ported bowl and valve perch runner removed.
-Flow tested and assembled.
-Custom Copper gaskets

When do we get pictures of the heads and rockers?

When do we get pictures of the heads and rockers?
Soon..should have it back next week..

Still need to decide exactly what im gonna do with the rockers..got me very worried..if someone wanted to buy them from me for "close" to what i had in them,id sell them in a heartbeat and put stockers in

I understand completely. it would be nice to know of someone that has ran them for a few thousand miles without failure.
I'd be stressed also. heck, I can't even make a 'no tricks' motor work.

I understand completely. it would be nice to know of someone that has ran them for a few thousand miles without failure.
I'd be stressed also. heck, I can't even make a 'no tricks' motor work.
Thats the unsettling part..i haven't found anyone,those that i have found have all had issues. .hell if he would refund my money id do it but its been so long and swears there is no issues with them

He was spose to come out with a top bracket that fit obviously ontop the rockers but was having issues with clearance ..the valve covers would need to be cut,squared up and raised up also..this was probably 6-9 months ago though, haven't talked to him in awile

Just finally found my cam and dropped it off today,hes gonna start assembly hopefully this week..kind of waiting on my tax return to come so told him to take his time..

I was hoping tax returns were going to further this project!
I cant wait to see the end result, it is going to be one hell of a ride!

Apparently Tom has come out with a top brace/girdle for the rockers..i asked him to call me when he did,i didnt get a call..he has it listed for a additional $400+ shipping..

When we talked about it a year ago he said the covers would need to be cut,welded up higher and more square to clear the girdle. .i dont see any mention of this..

Honestly im kind of frustrated over this..one he denys that he has issues with the old plate breaking but admits he thinks it needs a top support girdle. .then come out with one and wants to charge another $400 for it..so $1,400 for a rocker kit..thats outrageous! ! The rockers come straight from the manufacturer and uses common rockers so he basically charging you around $1,000 for something thats cut out on a CNC in probably 5 mins,something i could do or copy here at work on my lunch break..

No way no how am i paying another $400 for anything from him..honestly i keep seeing people talking about new builds they are starting and many say they want rollers,i might try and sell this kit i have if someone really wants it..the small amount of power gained by bigger ratio isnt worth the risk too me..

You must be getting close on finishing your motor? For what its worth, I think your doing the right thing by not using the higher ratio rockers.

You must be getting close on finishing your motor? For what its worth, I think your doing the right thing by not using the higher ratio rockers.
Well it was done but stopped by and he didnt assemble the short block..i dont really want to mess with filling the rings and all that crap so told him to assemble it..he's swamped right now so he said he will try to get to it soon..i told him no rush plus i just spent the money i owe him on the stroker kit for the aviator, dont think your following that thread..lol

And im still split on using them or not..i had the heads setup for .567 lift so not using them may effect the spring pressure and other things

Motors finally done,hopefully get over there Saturday to pick it up..now if i can find all my parts and get the rest of it together. .

Awesome! Congratulations on it getting done, cant wait to hear more about it.

Awesome! Congratulations on it getting done, cant wait to hear more about it.
Thanks.im glad i made him do the short block..even though he turned the crank to the new bearings, once he assembled it and did final bearing clearances he said he had to go back and polish some of the journals on the crank to get the clearance we needed..typically you can order bearings in many different sizes and not even uncommon to run 2 different bearings on one journal but they dont make bearings in all those sizes for the 4.0,so polishing the crank was only solution..so now i have specific bearings for each journal

He also filed the rings for nitrous and boost.

I dont know if ill get any time to start putting it together this weekend or not..probably just get it down to my storage unit and try to get all the parts laid out and do a inventory of what i have and dont have for final assembly. .i ""should"" have about everything other than a bolt or 2..still need a slave for the trans and 8 arp flywheel bolts,still need to figure out the thread and size for those..also need some long ARP bolts for going through the rocker plate and spacers,i posted a part number awile ago just need to look back and find it

Well just got told im going to have to work Saturday and Sunday again,thats like 3 weeks straight now and future looks like ill be working more..so i told them i definitely need next Saturday off and called my machinist to tell him it would be next week..

Hate working so much but im KILLING it in OT..

Make that money!
Please post pics when you get it!

Im off today for good Friday so heading down in a bit to pick my motor up..came to $1,500 all said and done

cheap!

Back