Should I get the Explorer? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I get the Explorer?

Any interior pics? How much extra did it cost to get the second row bucket seats? I found a 2016 black pre-owned limited one here with 15k miles for under 35 but I'm still weighing springing for the 17
Second row bucket seats are an $695 option. The console if you order it is $150. You can check out the 'Build & Price" program on the Ford.com website.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks! man I wish I'd found you guys a week ago. SO MUCH of the same issues you guys have already gone through it.
So what does that mean, that you want to get one, or not get one? :)

So what does that mean, that you want to get one, or not get one? :)

Oh I've decided to get one. This just would've helped me get decide sooner. I've gone through the testing and researching of all the cars on the thread mentioned earlier. Now I'm just trying to fine tune and pick between 2016 and 2017 depending on what's available here.

Any interior pics of your second row? How much extra did it cost to get the second row bucket seats? We have forward facing car seat but my son LOVEs to sit in very back so I feel like the bench seating would be great. I found a 2016 black pre-owned limited one here with 15k miles for under 35 but I'm still weighing springing for the 17

Sorry, just now saw this. It's late and the Ex is parked out in our (unattached) pole barn. I'll get you some interior pictures sometime tomorrow (likely in the morning.) Be warned, she is dirty. Having a 2 & 4 year old will do that to an interior (especially the second row where the car seats are at, haha.)

Second row buckets show as a $695 addition on my invoice. In regards to bench seating, if I'm not mistaken it doesn't slide forward and out of the way like the buckets do. We took my in-laws with us on a vacation to Destin, FL back in August and moved my 4 year old's car seat to the third row. MIL would usually sit next to him. With the ability to fold the seat up it made entry fairly easy. Don't get me wrong, glad I don't have to do that myself on a daily basis, but for trips (or kids) it wouldn't be that bad.

Oh I've decided to get one. This just would've helped me get decide sooner. I've gone through the testing and researching of all the cars on the thread mentioned earlier. Now I'm just trying to fine tune and pick between 2016 and 2017 depending on what's available here.
I'd definitely recommend just going for the 2017. The Sync 3 is a big difference and you have to factor in depreciation vs a 2016. Back when I was shopping it might have been about a $2k difference. But at least see the differences between Sync 1 and 3 before you decide. Also Smoked Quartz is only available starting 2017. Good luck!

Thanks for the pics guys! Just to update you still trying to find an explorer. Budget maxes at 40k so therefore Platinum and Sport are out however I would love to get an XLT with the sport appearance package but ordering one and waiting for weeks is not an option. Also, now that I'm set on black it makes the pickings somewhat slim. I did come across a 2016 Black Sport with only 17K miles for $36,500 which seems almost too good to be true......The search continues

Any interior pics of your second row? How much extra did it cost to get the second row bucket seats? We have forward facing car seat but my son LOVEs to sit in very back so I feel like the bench seating would be great. I found a 2016 black pre-owned limited one here with 15k miles for under 35 but I'm still weighing springing for the 17[/QUOTE]
Go 17....

Any interior pics of your second row? How much extra did it cost to get the second row bucket seats? We have forward facing car seat but my son LOVEs to sit in very back so I feel like the bench seating would be great. I found a 2016 black pre-owned limited one here with 15k miles for under 35 but I'm still weighing springing for the 17
Go 17....[/QUOTE]
I'd love to but it's more of a budget thing for us. Can't really go over 40k. Still yet, why is the 17 a must for you?

Go 17....
I'd love to but it's more of a budget thing for us. Can't really go over 40k. Still yet, why is the 17 a must for you?[/QUOTE]

And I say that because If I can get a 2016 limited for the price of a base model 2017.....other than Sync3 I don't see the reason to still spring for the 17.

I'd love to but it's more of a budget thing for us. Can't really go over 40k. Still yet, why is the 17 a must for you?

And I say that because If I can get a 2016 limited for the price of a base model 2017.....other than Sync3 I don't see the reason to still spring for the 17.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/686475284/overview/
Despite mine costing near $46,000 you can find the same look cheaper. Based on the MSRP this one likely doesn't have the twin panel moon roof and appears to have bench second row seating (again, buckets are a $695 option.) But even when you add the 2nd row bucket seats in you'd still be under $40,000.

Granted, I know this isn't near you, but I'm guessing you can find similar results if you are willing to perhaps drive just a little bit. :)

Despite mine costing near $46,000 you can find the same look cheaper. Based on the MSRP this one likely doesn't have the twin panel moon roof and appears to have bench second row seating (again, buckets are a $695 option.) But even when you add the 2nd row bucket seats in you'd still be under $40,000.

Granted, I know this isn't near you, but I'm guessing you can find similar results if you are willing to perhaps drive just a little bit. :)

Nice! Yes I've expanded my search now. Maybe I'm understanding in wrong but I assume when you talk about buckets being a $695 option, I assume that's something you get when you're ordering one. I feel like, for example, if I saw this one you just sent me on a lot, the dealer would charge alot more than just 695 to switch the bench to buckets, or am I wrong on that?

If you are ordering an Explorer and want the 2nd row buckets, it is $695. There is no charge for not taking the bench. Another thing to keep in mind is if you think you may want the 2nd row console, order it as well. My Platinum did not come with them. It was on another dealer's lot. It is a $150 option when ordered but I was told to order it afterwards it is $528 here in Canada. It can be removed, if ordered, but I believe there will be a small area that will not be carpeted. If you are buying off the lot, I doubt the dealer would change out the bench seat for buckets. There are threads here where members have done that themselves.
Have you looked into leasing? It's not for everyone but it will likely have lower monthly payments with an option to buy at the end of the term. I lease because I like to get a new vehicle every 3 -4 years.

Peter

Nice! Yes I've expanded my search now. Maybe I'm understanding in wrong but I assume when you talk about buckets being a $695 option, I assume that's something you get when you're ordering one. I feel like, for example, if I saw this one you just sent me on a lot, the dealer would charge alot more than just 695 to switch the bench to buckets, or am I wrong on that?

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I'm guessing if they were wanting to nail down the sale they'd do it for cost plus labor, but every dealer is probably different. But I found this after about three minutes of looking. Occasionally I'll see one pop up on eBay that looks like ours. I've seen them for around $36,500 on there, although those were front wheel drive and not four wheel drive. But I'm sure you can find one under $40,000 with second row buckets.

Honestly they're going to be pretty much the same. If you can't find one locally (or somewhat locally) try to test drive an XLT with 20" wheels and the options you're looking for. Then find the XLT w/sport appearance package you like online and ask your local dealer to go get it. It was a long, long time ago (back in 2000, haha) but that's how I got my Chevy S-10 Xtreme....they brought it in from about 400 miles away. Almost positive it didn't cost me a dime, either.

And I say that because If I can get a 2016 limited for the price of a base model 2017.....other than Sync3 I don't see the reason to still spring for the 17.[/QUOTE]

Getting more for your money, is the wiser choice.
Also the 2017 Base model doesn't even come with Sync3 nor option to add it.

If you are ordering an Explorer and want the 2nd row buckets, it is $695. There is no charge for not taking the bench. Another thing to keep in mind is if you think you may want the 2nd row console, order it as well. My Platinum did not come with them. It was on another dealer's lot. It is a $150 option when ordered but I was told to order it afterwards it is $528 here in Canada. It can be removed, if ordered, but I believe there will be a small area that will not be carpeted. If you are buying off the lot, I doubt the dealer would change out the bench seat for buckets. There are threads here where members have done that themselves.
Have you looked into leasing? It's not for everyone but it will likely have lower monthly payments with an option to buy at the end of the term. I lease because I like to get a new vehicle every 3 -4 years.

Peter
Thanks for the input. I have looked into leasing especially since I no longer plan on keeping my vehicles for 7 years. I told myself I'd hang on to my FJ forever but sold it after 60k miles (partly also bc people were offering ALOT of money at the time) so I'm under no illusions anymore. Biggest issue is that you have to go over those leases with a fine tooth comb and that's even IF the dealership is remotely fair. I'm mainly just fearful of a bad lease. Every state has it's flaws but moving here to Seattle I must say the dealers are significantly worse that I've seen elsewhere. I have a habit of asking questions I already know the answer to in order to gauge trust and let's just say that's not put the dealers I've been into here in a good light. Fortunately I've preserved my sanity by having pre-approval from my bank and only having to negotiate final price. The thought of leasing still sounds like it could be a good fit but having to do it with these snakes is keeping me at bay.

I can take a picture later on and post it. I have the bench 2nd row that doesn't move. It is a hassle to access the third row due to the seat folding each and every time. Having bucket seats without the center console should allow your son to squeeze through without trouble. Plus the two bucket seats in the 2nd row can move forwards/backwards giving you maximum flexibility for all three rows.

Because I'm 6'2", my natural driver seat position is further back and makes folding the bench seat up a little trickier. Have to separately fold the headrest part first or it interferes with the seat folding. But I did find it annoying enough that I just moved the driver slightly forward, just enough to prevent the unfolded headrest from touching while folding the seat forward. And the telescoping steering wheel and pedals were adjusted to compensate and I'm happy with that. I also had to make my seat a little more upright too. Lots of options to make it work. And if you are 6'1" or shorter, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Might sound crazy... but have you considered buying used in Canada and driving it home? Of course, you lose factory warranty and have to deal with customs, but you can get a sport under $40k after factoring in exchange rate. Lots of Canadians used to buy cars down in the US and bring them back but with the exchange rate reversal, you can do very well here.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/cta?auto_make_model=ford+explorer+sport&min_auto_year=2013

My 2017 Sport cost $53k Canadian before taxes and fees. That's $40,181 USD. But good luck buying anything new in Canada. There's some strict rules preventing dealers from selling to Americans. But used market is open season. Anyways, it's something that could be worth researching.

Also having lived in California and Washington state -- I had purchased a used car in CA only to sell it two years later in WA for more than I paid for it. That was an usual circumstance but cars are definitely cheaper in L.A. than they are in Seattle, probably because of the large population density. So road trip?

If it was me, I'd get a pre-approved loan from a credit union, buy the car, import it (if the math works), and then get a 3rd party warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Might sound crazy... but have you considered buying used in Canada and driving it home? Of course, you lose warranty, but you can get a sport under $40k after factoring in exchange rate. Lots of Canadians used to buy cars down in the US and bring them back but with the exchange rate reversal, you can do very well here.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/search/cta?auto_make_model=ford+explorer+sport&min_auto_year=2013

My 2017 Sport cost $53k Canadian before taxes and fees. That's $40,181 USD. But good luck buying anything new in Canada. There's some strict rules preventing dealers from selling to Americans. But used market is open season. Anyways, it's something that could be worth researching.

Oh wow. Damn good price. Good suggestion.

Back