Explorer Gas Mileage - including Ecoboost | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

With only 753 km (468 mi.) on the odometer the computer is reading 12.8 L/100km or 22.07 mpg (Imp.) or 18.38 U.S. This is on 87 octane (Winter gas) and about 70/30 hwy/city driving. It's hard to tell but I'm betting that will change when I get closer to 50/50 driving and get more mileage on the vehicle.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I average 18mpg (measure during fill ups) during non-winter months and now averaging 15.5mpg; as a result of winter tires, winter gas and longer idling.
I fill up with 91 only and at top tier stations that don't mix in ethanol in their premium fuel.

I've only got 3400km on my 2017 Explorer Sport. My computer says I'm getting 18.7L/100km (12.5mpg) and I have never reset it since new including break-in. In any case, the number is close enough to my actual economy, as I've been recording my kms and liters filled up. Only using premium (91 octane). Also it was 18.5L/100km when new, and hasn't diverged significantly.

Almost all my driving is city driving in stop and go conditions (Vancouver BC). And recent winter conditions, I've been driving around in winter mode which has me at about 21L/100km for localized last fill up.

I do tend to accelerate more than the average person when I'm at the front during a red light, just because it's still so fun. I also generally drive in Sport mode because I like the throttle response better and feel the normal drive mode throttle programming has issues. I definitely wouldn't suggest keeping it in Sport mode for any fast cruising above 80km/h (50mph).

If I drove in an economical pattern, I don't know if I could beat 17L/100km in my city commute conditions. It's 30km round trip each day.

I have noticed with the 3.5L V6 Ecoboost, it is quite easy to flood the turbos with gasoline, if you happen to gun it at just the wrong time (cooling technique). When this happens, you'll feel significant turbo lag, almost like the car is about to stall out for nearly a second before it suddenly lurches forward with insane power, and likely crucify your economy. The trick is in the correct timing and pressure of acceleration. Haven't quite mastered it yet, but I'm getting better at it. That's why driving in Sport mode makes it easier to avoid. My only tip so far is don't ever suddenly floor the acceleration if you already moving. Only do that at a stand still. If you want to quickly pass someone while moving, then accelerate at about 50-75% force until the power kicks in. Again, mostly just a feel thing.

"Flood" the turbos with fuel?
Everything is electronically controlled and I don't believe there's really a technique in driving an auto transmission.

Sorry I meant direct fuel injection. They inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber, but it can waste fuel. I don't remember where I read the source, but basically turbos are supposed to be significantly more fuel efficient, but they can be abused to give you more power and then wash out any efficiency gains, which typically means any normal driver in city conditions.

Which gas stations brands do you frequent that are ethanol free? I never really thought much of it, and am new to the concept of winter blends -- and I get it, but I can see it being exploited to maximize profit given that ethanol is a lot cheaper to produce.

Sorry I meant direct fuel injection. They inject fuel directly into the combustion chamber, but it can waste fuel. I don't remember where I read the source, but basically turbos are supposed to be significantly more fuel efficient, but they can be abused to give you more power and then wash out any efficiency gains, which typically means any normal driver in city conditions.

Which gas stations brands do you frequent that are ethanol free? I never really thought much of it, and am new to the concept of winter blends -- and I get it, but I can see it being exploited to maximize profit given that ethanol is a lot cheaper to produce.
Check this out. http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON

Peter

Wow, that's awesome. Turns out me filling up at Superstore is considered proper form... who knew! There are only 5 gas stations in all of Vancouver that are considered ethanol free, and I've been filling up at Superstore, only because it's cheap gas and close to my work.

I've had my Platinum for a year & have 18,000 miles. Until I hit about 12,000 I was getting around 22mpg. I live in a rural area so the driving is almost like highway - few stop signs or traffic lights. Since then, I'm getting about 19mpg. I use Shell gas, 87 octane or whatever. I suppose I was lucky at first & the 19 is par for the course.

2017 Sport with 1300 km on it. Trip meter showed 17.6 ltrs/100km. It took 7.7 gal after 110 miles of roughly 70/30 highway/city driving. 14.2 mpg . It has been cold here in Winnipeg this week with lots of idling to warm up but still, not impressed.

My 2017 Sport has 4500km on it now. I've been hovering at 18.5L/100km since day one. Almost all Vancouver city driving. I just recently switched to regular from premium (one fill up ago) and same mileage, can't tell the difference on the performance side. This is a big heavy car with a powerful engine, but yeah... economy not the strong suit.

not sure if its been mentioned but only the highway portion of the estimated fuel mileage might be correct. Goes something like this...the closest you can reproduce this is by making sure your wheel alignment is correct and all extra options and cargo is removed and tires up to proper pressures with windows rolled up and a/c OFF along with defrost and radio or anything else and should be on a level road using the same route back. Best is on a clear day with no snow etc.
Plug in a GPS unit to confirm the mileage on your trip meter is correct, fill up at a gas station near a highway to the top and keep fueling till the automatic shut off pump has clicked 3 times, hit reset on your GPS and trip meter and head to highway and drive 55mph very gently with no traffic and cruise control on for about 10-15miles. After the mileage has elapsed turn around and fuel up at the same station and the same pump with 3 clicks and do the math with amount of gallons fueled and total miles driven. Curious what you get, to the people that report poor economy compared to factory:popcorn:. If you get the published mileage driving this method I would be amazed since I personally would fall asleep before I finished checking it.

not sure if its been mentioned but only the highway portion of the estimated fuel mileage might be correct. Goes something like this...the closest you can reproduce this is by making sure your wheel alignment is correct and all extra options and cargo is removed and tires up to proper pressures with windows rolled up and a/c OFF along with defrost and radio or anything else and should be on a level road using the same route back. Best is on a clear day with no snow etc.
Plug in a GPS unit to confirm the mileage on your trip meter is correct, fill up at a gas station near a highway to the top and keep fueling till the automatic shut off pump has clicked 3 times, hit reset on your GPS and trip meter and head to highway and drive 55mph very gently with no traffic and cruise control on for about 10-15miles. After the mileage has elapsed turn around and fuel up at the same station and the same pump with 3 clicks and do the math with amount of gallons fueled and total miles driven. Curious what you get, to the people that report poor economy compared to factory:popcorn:. If you get the published mileage driving this method I would be amazed since I personally would fall asleep before I finished checking it.

"I personally would fall asleep before I finished checking it"
Same here.

2017 Sport with 1300 km on it. Trip meter showed 17.6 ltrs/100km. It took 7.7 gal after 110 miles of roughly 70/30 highway/city driving. 14.2 mpg . It has been cold here in Winnipeg this week with lots of idling to warm up but still, not impressed.
To get more accurate results register on a site like http://www.fuelly.com/ and it will do the math for you with sometime surprising results. Keep track of your mileage and fill up info and input it. I'm just under your mileage and the last fill averaged 13.5L/100km with about 50/50 driving. It's the idling that kills fuel mileage. Vehicles warm up much quicker when being driven.
Do you still have your 2004 Trailblazer? If not, time to update profile or add the Sport to your signature.;)

Peter

The EPA website gives feedback directly to the EPA--- the entity responsible for verifying manufacturers are complying with their claims.... Like Hyundai.....

Hello, We currently have a 2013 XLT with the standard 3.5L V6. We bought a larger boat this year (around 3000#). It works the engine a little bit, but we are getting just under 14 mpg towing. We are getting close to 19 mph day to day driving without the boat. We are in the market for another new suv and we are very curious what everyone is getting for real world mileage out of the 3.5L eco boost. We were hoping to lose 1 mpg with regular driving, but maybe see the towing mpg improve since the engine wouldn't be working so hard. We test drove one yesterday and they even let us pull out boat. We liked the power, but we do not want to see a significant loss in day to day or towing mpg. In our short test drive it got almost 12 mpg, but when accelerating or going up a hill (we have lots of hills), the instant mpg dropped down to 5 or less! We never see that with our regular 3.5L What's everyone getting? Thanks!

Hello, We currently have a 2013 XLT with the standard 3.5L V6. We bought a larger boat this year (around 3000#). It works the engine a little bit, but we are getting just under 14 mpg towing. We are getting close to 19 mph day to day driving without the boat. We are in the market for another new suv and we are very curious what everyone is getting for real world mileage out of the 3.5L eco boost. We were hoping to lose 1 mpg with regular driving, but maybe see the towing mpg improve since the engine wouldn't be working so hard. We test drove one yesterday and they even let us pull out boat. We liked the power, but we do not want to see a significant loss in day to day or towing mpg. In our short test drive it got almost 12 mpg, but when accelerating or going up a hill (we have lots of hills), the instant mpg dropped down to 5 or less! We never see that with our regular 3.5L What's everyone getting? Thanks!
Don't forget that a new vehicle's mpg are going to get better after a 'break-in' period. That Manual puts that at 1000 miles. I think if you go back a few pages you will see what some members are getting for mileage numbers. It is difficult to predict as everyone has their own driving styles. Speed, terrain and highway or city driving all affect the number. I use Fuelly.com to track my mileage. With my 2011 Explorer Limited it shows an average of 19.4 mpg, my 2014 MKT with 3.5 Ecoboost 17.3 mpg and my current 2017 Platinum 17 mpg. The 2011 had more highway miles on it than either of the last two.

Peter

I'm now sitting at 21K miles and average about 17mpg all year round for combined city/highway driving.
On a full tank I can get close to 310 miles; driving down to the last 1.5gal or so.
Not going to complain, as I knew the 3.5EB was gas guzzler; but hitting the advertized rating would require too much effort.

Don't forget that a new vehicle's mpg are going to get better after a 'break-in' period. That Manual puts that at 1000 miles. I think if you go back a few pages you will see what some members are getting for mileage numbers. It is difficult to predict as everyone has their own driving styles. Speed, terrain and highway or city driving all affect the number. I use Fuelly.com to track my mileage. With my 2011 Explorer Limited it shows an average of 19.4 mpg, my 2014 MKT with 3.5 Ecoboost 17.3 mpg and my current 2017 Platinum 17 mpg. The 2011 had more highway miles on it than either of the last two.

Peter

Hi,

I've got a Explorer 2017 Limited and although Ford advertises 19mpg city and 22mpg highway, I'm averaging 17.3 when our driving is 3/4 highway. I've gotten this average from the car's fuel economy screen in the dashboard.

V6 Engine, 4,500 Miles

What gives? Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There's a long thread about that concern. Have you tried hand calculating your mileage. That will be more accurate than the display readout.

Back