• Register Today It's free!

Help me

Brentotto90

Reaction score
City, State
Banning Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer Xlt
So I changed the starter in my expo and now it want to try and turn over when ever i connect tthe battery.. I switched the cables around and im still having this problem & the key is off
plz help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Possibly, the starter solenoid is sticking.

How do I stop it from doing so? Thanks for the input

Disconnect the small wire from the starter. If it still cranks over constantly, then it's defintiely a sticking solenoid. If you have a sticking solenoid, return the starter as defective and get another one.

Sometimes this happens, I have owned 2 Fords that developed this problem. The starters were both bad. IMO you should exchange that starter for another one.

Thanks everyone for your input. So Starter Solenoid became unstuck & reverted back to stuck within 5 min. I can just switxh the solenoids out correct. I would just take this starter back for a different one. Did not pay for the insurance thru junk yard tho so not available to do so. Thanks again

Well, then the used starter you installed is bad.

Nothing like buying a junkyard part and it being junk too, makes you wonder why the vehicle is sitting there, and if that was literally the whole problem to take that kind of hit on the vehicle.

Okay so the starter does work??? so what is the problem a wiring dysfunction or?

Post #5 and #10 answers your question. The starter is junk and needs to be replaced.

The starter does work it works in my dads expo... I think it's electrical

the starter its self works fine in my dads other truck
Check the starter relay, it is behind the battery on the inner fender. I've had a relay fail in the stuck closed position from corrosion.

Starter 101:
The starter mounted solenoid is connected to the positive side of the battery (on a '97 through a second fender mounted solenoid located near the battery).

The starter motor housing is connected directly to the negative side of the battery to insure a good ground.

There is a smaller gauge wire connected to the starter solenoid's "S" terminal. Some are bolted on, some are connected to a spade terminal.

When you turn the key to START, the ignition switch, located on the lower steering column, energizes the fender mounted solenoid (if so equipped) which in turn connects the battery's positive lead to the positive cable going to the starter mounted solenoid. Also, power is sent to the "S" terminal on the starter mounted solenoid, which energizes the starter motor and makes it spin, as well as pushing the starter gear into the flywheel's ring gear, which begins cranking the engine.

There is typically also a starter relay which "relays" the power from the ignition switch to the "S" wire.

What's not working?

Starter 101:
The starter mounted solenoid is connected to the positive side of the battery (on a '97 through a second fender mounted solenoid located near the battery).

The starter motor housing is connected directly to the negative side of the battery to insure a good ground.

There is a smaller gauge wire connected to the starter solenoid's "S" terminal. Some are bolted on, some are connected to a spade terminal.

When you turn the key to START, the ignition switch, located on the lower steering column, energizes the fender mounted solenoid (if so equipped) which in turn connects the battery's positive lead to the positive cable going to the starter mounted solenoid. Also, power is sent to the "S" terminal on the starter mounted solenoid, which energizes the starter motor and makes it spin, as well as pushing the starter gear into the flywheel's ring gear, which begins cranking the engine.

There is typically also a starter relay which "relays" the power from the ignition switch to the "S" wire.

What's not working?
The starter tries to crank it's self when I hook up the battery in general like the power is going directly to it from the battery

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back