Rough suspention. Feels as if tires where bouncing and rattling but ... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough suspention. Feels as if tires where bouncing and rattling but ...

markanthonypr

Reaction score
City, State
Mayaguez, PR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger Supercab XLT
Hello all!!! I recently bought a uses 2000 Ranger XLT Super Cab splash type box with about 135k miles. I have a few isues that I haven't been able to resolve. Any advise would be greatly apreciated.
1. I,ve replaced lower ball joints, upper bushing arm, rod ends, shocks and new tires. The truck has been alinged and tires balanced. However I still have a rough ride! It feels as if tires are bouncing (the whole truck vibrates) and steering wheel rattles a little as if wheels are out of balance. However, wheel balance and alignment have been checked in multiple places. Last advise I was given was to chech for frozen rusty drive shaft u-joints. Any advise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!

The Supercabs have a two piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing that wears out, that's where I would look first.
Is this truck a 4x4 or 2x4? Is the front suspension coil springs or torsion bars?

Hello RangerX. Its 2wd, 1 piece driveshaft, coil springs.. 4.0L
Welcome to the forum!

The Supercabs have a two piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing that wears out, that's where I would look first.
Is this truck a 4x4 or 2x4? Is the front suspension coil springs or torsion bars?

Okay then. Maybe the driveshaft is out of balance. Inspect it for any ding or dent or scrape.

How long have you had this problem? Since you bought it, or did it used to drive smooth?

At what speed does it vibrate? If it's low speed and goes away at higher speeds it could be a separated tire. If it's at higher speeds it could be a driveshaft or some other harmonics issue.

Hello Shortbox, thank you for your assistance. The vibration can be felt as low as about 20mph, and increases some with higher speeds. Worsens when on rough roads. The feeling is as if it was a mix of bad shochs with over inflated tires and unbalanced wheels. at lower speeds it mostly feels like soft bouncing tires. As you gain to about 50mph ir feels ike the truck it floatingover this bouncy feeling with the extra efect of the rattling body which makes the cds in glovebox and anything on the floor center console rattle. I'm goint to try lowering 2psi on all tires. I have them at 30psi(fords recomended psi on door lable). I drive 120miles daily(round trip to work) on highways. But these roads are so messedup it sucks. I'll pull out the drive shaft this weekend and inspect the ujoints (however when shifting P/R/N/D there is no noise as when the ujoint bearings are weared out.
At what speed does it vibrate? If it's low speed and goes away at higher speeds it could be a separated tire. If it's at higher speeds it could be a driveshaft or some other harmonics issue.

Do you seem to feel it more in the steering wheel or the seat of your pants?

Maybe warped rotors? Could try rotating the tires front to rear also just to make sure of the tires.

I'll spend some time this weekend trying to troubleshoot this issue. I'll try roatating tires too. I just lowered tire preasure to 26psi on all tires to see if that helps. I'm getting the feeling that these tires I pucked are to stiff for the truck. At 26psi I don't see front tires forming a soft belly due to engine weight.
Maybe warped rotors? Could try rotating the tires front to rear also just to make sure of the tires.

I don't think tire pressure will come that much into play. I've owned several Rangers and have always run 35+ psi in them and never had that happen. My current Ranger is a 96 with 18" wheels and low profile tires and I run 40 psi in them. Still rides fine.

Back