• Register Today It's free!

Huge audio problem!

removed

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Utility PI
I own a 2016 Ford Utility Police Interpector. I bought this car "used" with only 31 miles, so it's not like it had any electrical problems from being in a fleet. My issue is that at high volume (26-30) it starts to cut power to the speakers and noticeably turn down the volume after about 15-20 mins on its own. Doesn't show up on screen, you can just hear it reduce. If you turn it down half way to 15 after about 45 sec. you can hear it regain the power and get louder without touching the dial. What's going on? Is it a safety mechanism.......dealership does not have an answer? They have replaced the radio module and that didn't fix it. They started to say because I have aftermarket things installed....... I have interior lights under the dash and under the front seats and a remote start, that's it. Those two things are so small compared to what police agencies install in these cars, so I'm having a hard time believing one of those things is causing the radio to dim and raise itself on its own.

Also, sorry if I should've posted in the police interceptor section. I just figured a lot more people will see it here and may have had a problem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what all the radio module entails but it sounds like something on the audio side (processor?) is failing intermittently.
Just a guess though.

Peter

Well that's the term the dealer ship said when I first had the issue. They ordered the part and called it the radio module. It's in there again and they told me who really listens to there music that loud? That's a joke right. 26-30 is under normal working conditions or Ford wouldn't have let it get that loud.

I think there is an option somewhere of a volume limiter, but I have never used it or seen it used. Perhaps worth checking out? From what I know it is in the mykey features.

Just a thought.. Hope it all works out!

Well the issue is initially it's not limited, it's loud and sounds really good. I would never notice it on a short ride to work but when I work out of town, let's say a 20 minute ride that's when you notice it's really loud and then all of sudden it just drops by it self. If you turn down briefly for about 35 to 45 seconds it gains its loudness back. I don't know if my PI has my key. I have gone through every options on the dash and by the gauges on the steering wheel.

I've cranked my radio up to about 90% in both my F350 plat and Explorer limited.. neither have ever dropped volume.

Sound goes strong for about 20 mins and then at high volume it limits itself.

Well that's the term the dealer ship said when I first had the issue. They ordered the part and called it the radio module. It's in there again and they told me who really listens to there music that loud? That's a joke right. 26-30 is under normal working conditions or Ford wouldn't have let it get that loud.
Not sure how the 26-30 is read on the 2016 since the Sync setup is different. On Sync my volume is usually set around 7. On the MFT volume display in my previous vehicle it was around 7 bars. In any case it is the speakers not the radio that would be affected by turning up the volume.

Peter

This is a PI so it doesn't have sync, just a basic radio and CD player. 0-30 is what the volume is.

This is a PI so it doesn't have sync, just a basic radio and CD player. 0-30 is what the volume is.
So you are playing it at just about max volume! Wow. The pic below is where the volume level was on when I had the MFT.

Peter

P4250228_001.JPG

Could be the output (power) transistors heating up at high volume, and the audio system automatically turns down the level to protect the transistors and keep them from burning out. This is just a theory, but it explains why the loudness recovers after a cool-down period.

Could be the output (power) transistors heating up at high volume, and the audio system automatically turns down the level to protect the transistors and keep them from burning out. This is just a theory, but it explains why the loudness recovers after a cool-down period.

I like this idea. It will stay lowered till I bring it down to half way and then yeah, rejuices it self after a while. Less than a min.

Not knowing what audio system you have, this may not help but, go into your settings and see if you have 'speed compensated volume' adjustment. This setting compensates volume for noise conditions. If you have it, put it in the maximum position and see if this helps. There was a diagnostic suggestion for volume fading in and out but, it has to do with the radio signal fading in and out. If you are using another source like iTunes and having this issue then the 'radio signal' issue wouldn't apply.

Not knowing what audio system you have, this may not help but, go into your settings and see if you have 'speed compensated volume' adjustment. This setting compensates volume for noise conditions. .
I don't think I've ever noticed that working on any of the 3 vehicles I've had in the past number of years, regardless of the setting.

Peter

I don't think I've ever noticed that working on any of the 3 vehicles I've had in the past number of years, regardless of the setting.

Peter

That doesn't mean that it may have some bearing on the OP's problem. It's only a suggestion. His volume is changing, going into that option and doing a reset may clear it up or, it may do nothing. One never knows until it's tried. In my experience, it's often the most simple approach the clears up a problem. :thumbsup:

Not knowing what audio system you have, this may not help but, go into your settings and see if you have 'speed compensated volume' adjustment. This setting compensates volume for noise conditions. If you have it, put it in the maximum position and see if this helps. There was a diagnostic suggestion for volume fading in and out but, it has to do with the radio signal fading in and out. If you are using another source like iTunes and having this issue then the 'radio signal' issue wouldn't apply.

Oh I have tried. That's for driving though. This will do it when the car is parked too. I don't have iTunes. I bought a cheap PI lol. Only radio and CD player for me.

Back