2017 Explorer Sync 3 Display Goes Black, then reboots. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sync 3 Display Goes Black, then reboots.

WileECoyote75

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I have a new 2017 Ford Explorer Sport, and on two different occasions while driving along the main display will go black, and then reboot on its own? I will be taking it back to the dealer soon, just looking to see if anyone else has seen this issue.

Both times the display was on navigation view and no user interface at that time.

Thanks,
Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Chad.:wave:
That issue has happened to several members but you are the first to post about it on a 2017 model. Usually if the screen goes blank/black and stays that way it is an indication of a faulty APIM. Please report back after your dealer visit. Thanks.

Peter

I have a new 2017 Ford Explorer Sport, and on two different occasions while driving along the main display will go black, and then reboot on its own? I will be taking it back to the dealer soon, just looking to see if anyone else has seen this issue.

Both times the display was on navigation view and no user interface at that time.

Thanks,
Chad
It's happened to me once. Middle of driving down the road. Don't think we were doing anything with it, either (if I remember correctly, haha.) Hasn't happened since and that was a few months ago. I just figured it got itself tied up in a knot and needed to reboot to fix itself, kind of like what happens to your phone or computer from time to time. Sometimes a reboot is in order.

I'll let you know if it happens again, but it happened long enough ago (and hasn't happened since) that I'm no longer worried about it.

Visit to the dealer did not provide any help. They checked for updates and there were none. The display has not power cycled in the last two weeks.

Chad

I've had it happen in my '17 Sport. Not gonna worry about it if it's just an occasional thing, as it appears to be so far.

Thanks,
Chad
I HAVE A 2017 EXPLORER AND IT HAPPENS TO ME THE RADIO GOES OFF THE SCREEN GOES BLANK THEN IT RESTARTS
IT HAPPENED 2 TIMES AND ONLY A FEW SECONDS AFTER I STARTED THE CAR
WHEN YOU SAY REBOOT WHAT DO YOU MEAN MINE GOES BLANK THEN THE FORD LOGO STARTS TO COME ON AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY

I HAVE A 2017 EXPLORER AND IT HAPPENS TO ME THE RADIO GOES OFF THE SCREEN GOES BLANK THEN IT RESTARTS
WHEN YOU SAY REBOOT WHAT DO YOU MEAN MINE GOES BLANK THEN THE FORD LOGO STARTS TO COME ON AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
When posting please do not use all capital letters. It make it seem that you are 'YELLING'.;)

Peter

Same issue, screen goes black, then Ford logo, then normal.

I wonder if that is the Sync 3 version of the "Performing System Maintenance" reboot that the MFT does? It'll be interesting to see if we get a few more reports and if it is a Sport only issue.

Peter

I had it happen once to me in 8 months. It's basically just a graceful reboot on crash, so I'm not too bothered by it. If it happened more frequently then I would look to getting a software update for it. And it's possible it's known but not fixed yet. So I wouldn't worry about your car being broken.

I tried to do a wireless update on my car, but it never initiated a download -- I saw the spinning download icon, but no progress, no feedback, and no messages saying I have the latest version or anything like that. I used my iPhone as a wifi hotspot.

.......I tried to do a wireless update on my car, but it never initiated a download -- I saw the spinning download icon, but no progress, no feedback, and no messages saying I have the latest version or anything like that. I used my iPhone as a wifi hotspot.
Sgt1411 and I noticed the same thing when we tried to see if there was an update available.

I wonder if that is the Sync 3 version of the "Performing System Maintenance" reboot that the MFT does? It'll be interesting to see if we get a few more reports and if it is a Sport only issue.

Peter

It's happened to mine a couple of times as well.

Have had the same happen to me, once while just driving down the road, another time it did it immediately after starting up. It's done it maybe 3-4 times overall since owning it, but it always came right back up after a quick apparent reboot. I'm assuming it just crashed and rebooted itself. Only other issue I've had is when I'd start the ignition, the Sync system would switch to phone mode and act like I was in a call for nearly 1 minute. Seemed like that happened several times in a week, then just suddenly quit.

Sgt1411 and I noticed the same thing when we tried to see if there was an update available.

I did a Master Reset and it fixed that issue of a spinning icon. Its supposed to be quick if theres no update, then the Date Last Checked changes and shows the date you did the update request.

What's frustrating is that there is an update, its v2.2 for SYNC3.

We all got v2.0 in our 2017's and those with 2016 Ford vehicles other then Explorer have SYNC3 v1.0

V2.2 is available as a dealer only install for those that have vehicles that came from the factory with V2.0. That is the official word from Ford.

V2.2 is available as a dealer only install for those that have vehicles that came from the factory with V2.0. That is the official word from Ford.
Did Ford say if there a cost to have the Sync 3 updated to V2.2? Do you have a link to that info?

Peter

There is no link to provide. Any software update for anything is not covered unless specifically handled under a warranty claim. With this is mind, Ford has published notice that software update to 2.2 is the remedy for several SYNC 3 issues including intermittent blanking screens. This includes those with V2.0.

If you just go in and say I want the latest software without having any issues you will have to pay for it unless the dealer eats it.

• SSM46559 - Effective May 3 2017
    2016-2017 Various Ford And Lincoln - SYNC 3 And Navigation – Inaccurate GPS And Travel Link Fuel Prices Not Displaying - Software Update
  • SSM 46571 - Effective May 4 2017
    2016-2017 Various Ford And Lincoln - SYNC 3 And Navigation – SiriusXM Traffic Listing Not Loading - Software Update

• SSM 46570 - Effective May 4 2017
    2016-2017 Various Ford And Lincoln - SYNC 3 - Intermittent Blank Screen - Software Update

Thats actually very interesting because I just read that Ford's Directer of Connected Vehicles and Services, Don Butler, who oversees all in-vehicle technology was boasting about the update to v2.2 as the first SYNC3 update available through WiFi.

Not only did they promise v2.2 by end of calendar 2016 but now they are misleading their customers yet again.

http://fordauthority.com/2017/05/fo...-android-auto-to-sync-3-equipped-2016-models/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats actually very interesting because I just read that Ford's Directer of Connected Vehicles and Services, Don Butler, who oversees all in-vehicle technology was boasting about the update to v2.2 as the first SYNC3 update available through WiFi.

Not only did they promise v2.2 by end of calendar 2016 but now they are misleading their customers yet again.

http://fordauthority.com/2017/05/fo...-android-auto-to-sync-3-equipped-2016-models/
That article specifies 2016 vehicles.

Back