2000 Mountaineer 5.0 Water Pump - not me. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 Mountaineer 5.0 Water Pump - not me.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
Well I'm dropping my son-in-law's 2000 Mountaineer 5.0 off at my buddy's garage tomorrow morning to have him change the water pump. It's not my money and there's no way I want to that job ever again. Maybe my mechanic buddy has learned a few tricks over his 40 years of wrenching that I don't know. He quoted me $125 for labor. At that amount, that's a bargain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW!! He can't know what he's getting in to.

Sure, if no bolts break or fight hard to stay in the pump or timing cover $125.00 for labor would be fair but that is a rare event.

WOW!! He can't know what he's getting in to.

Sure, if no bolts break or fight hard to stay in the pump or timing cover $125.00 for labor would be fair but that is a rare event.

I'm sure he's changed his share of small block Ford water pumps in 40 years. I've warned him what to expect. I don't mind him charging more if he runs into complications. As I said, I'm not the one paying for the job and I know whatever he charges will be fair.

I'm not sure if I should giggle or feel sorry. The bigger question is, will he still be a buddy after you get the car back. There is a chance he may do this job twice, first and last time.

$125 for labor... Wow. That's a steal, if I had been quoted a price like that I may have not replaced my water pump myself.

Considering my low mile engine I've got for my 2000 hasn't had one, I don't even want to touch it, my understanding is it's heck on Earth, and I'd pay that for someone to do it, and my 260K engine in there now, if it went bad I'd probably just part the engine at that many miles, with a cracked exhaust manifold and a rear main seal leak that is more than a weep.

Update: Dropped the truck off at 8:30 this morning and he called to say it was ready at 12:30. Total cost was $125, just as he quoted. I asked if he had any trouble with it and he said, no it wasn't too bad. I'm surprised, that truck lived in NC most of it's life and was no stranger to salt. It's the most rusty of any of my Explorers/Mountaineers. Anyway, that job was worth every penny!

Man lol, must've had amazing cooling system care or something.

Well there's always the method of asking him what he did, I'd like to know that my own self.

Well there's always the method of asking him what he did, I'd like to know that my own self.

I have no reason to ask him. If I ever need another 5.0L w/p changed I'll just take it to him.

But what about the rest of us? lol.
I don't have an issue though, I have a not so simple solution.
Pull the motor every 2-4000 miles and take it apart. No seized bolts here.

<shoot me now>

But what about the rest of us? lol.
I don't have an issue though, I have a not so simple solution.
Pull the motor every 2-4000 miles and take it apart. No seized bolts here.

<shoot me now>
:shoot:

My solution was stainless bolts with industrial anti seize ,

My solution was stainless bolts with industrial anti seize ,

That's fine if you can get the old rusted bolts out. That's the problem.

Koda, what the ... your not going to do this job while your son in law has a sandwich?
Hahaha, hope all goes well and your friend still like you at the end of this job, but like you say your not paying. That is "ONE" of the only advantages to owning a 6 cylinder over an 8.
Loquetus

Koda, what the ... your not going to do this job while your son in law has a sandwich?
Hahaha, hope all goes well and your friend still like you at the end of this job, but like you say your not paying. That is "ONE" of the only advantages to owning a 6 cylinder over an 8.
Loquetus
Koda is still paying perpetually though.

Loquetus

The only other job that's easier on the 6 vs an 8 is changing a radiator. It's a piece of cake changing a radiator on the 6.

I use a tourch to heat up the timing cover, thats what they get stuck in , even if the heads break off you still fight the corrosion in the cover, get the cover off and the rest of the bolt usually will come out of the block by hand , i use heat , kroil,and do alot of tapping with a small hammer , if the heads break off i keep at it and start tapping in wedges to walk the timing cover off, it sucks but ive done quite a few

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back