What did you pay for your Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you pay for your Explorer?

BeachHokie757

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Focus
Hey All,

I am new to this forum and looking to hear what others have to say about their 2016-2017 explorers! I plan to order my 2017 limited explorer in May and just wanted to know what you all paid for your explorer and how it has been so far? I figure all prices will vary.

-How is the cabin sound when driving?
-How is the interior quality?
-How is the 4x4 in sand and snow?

Thanks,
Hunter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the Platinum and the cabin is very quiet. I believe the Platinum has extra sound deadening. The radio is great but it isn't the same one that is in the Limited.
Interior quality has so far has been excellent. The Explorer is a FWD biased vehicle which will send power to the rear wheels when it recognizes slippage. The Terrain Management System can also be used to change shift points and traction control. I usually always leave mine in 'Normal' mode even when driving in snow.
Leaving the ordering until May might be too late. The updated production schedule is not out yet but going by the 2017 schedule, orders for the 2017 models were being accepted on March 28, 2016 with scheduling to begin April 14th and production to start on June 6, 2016.
In reading another thread, it stated the last order date was mid April but it seemed to have been delayed a month or more. That isn't something I would count on happening again though. I'm guessing the schedule should be updated in a month or so.
http://www.donlen.com/buildstart-trucks-ford.html

Peter

I have the Platinum and the cabin is very quiet. I believe the Platinum has extra sound deadening. The radio is great but it isn't the same one that is in the Limited.
Interior quality has so far has been excellent. The Explorer is a FWD biased vehicle which will send power to the rear wheels when it recognizes slippage. The Terrain Management System can also be used to change shift points and traction control. I usually always leave mine in 'Normal' mode even when driving in snow.
Leaving the ordering until May might be too late. The updated production schedule is not out yet but going by the 2017 schedule, orders for the 2017 models were being accepted on March 28, 2016 with scheduling to begin April 14th and production to start on June 6, 2016.
In reading another thread, it stated the last order date was mid April but it seemed to have been delayed a month or more. That isn't something I would count on happening again though. I'm guessing the schedule should be updated in a month or so.
http://www.donlen.com/buildstart-trucks-ford.html

Peter
Thank you very much for the information. I thought the explorer is like the F150 dates were they begin production after the summer for the new year models. Hopefully the 2018 will have some nicer features then since that is the path I will have to take! Do you have any guesses or information on what the 2018 explorers will be like? Maybe aluminum bodies?

Thank you very much for the information. I thought the explorer is like the F150 dates were they begin production after the summer for the new year models. Hopefully the 2018 will have some nicer features then since that is the path I will have to take! Do you have any guesses or information on what the 2018 explorers will be like? Maybe aluminum bodies?
My 'guess' is that there may a few cosmetic changes but nothing substantial. The general consensus is that there may be a 'redesign' for the 2020 model. The 2016 was a 'refresh' and that is why I doubt there will be any major changes for 2018.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/2020my-ford-explorer-redesign.442137/

Peter

Hey All,

I am new to this forum and looking to hear what others have to say about their 2016-2017 explorers! I plan to order my 2017 limited explorer in May and just wanted to know what you all paid for your explorer and how it has been so far? I figure all prices will vary.

-How is the cabin sound when driving?
-How is the interior quality?
-How is the 4x4 in sand and snow?

Thanks,
Hunter

I have a 2016 EXP Platinum. Did some minor tweaks to it just recently but I love the ride. I'm in sales and travel 9 states in the Midwest from ND and as far south as MO. I was going to get a Sport like my buddy but when I saw the perks that came with the Platinum (front massage seats, heated/AC seats in the front and 2nd row bucket to name a few) I bought it and I have no regrets.

Cabin is quiet even with the modifications that I did to it and sound system is fantastic enough for me. I loved the fuel efficiency but I just installed a K&N CAI two weeks ago so the true test of fuel efficiency begin's next week when I drive to Fargo, ND and back later on during the week.

Perfect size ride for the samples that I carry with enough room to spare for passengers.

I'd recommend the 2017 over the 2016, just for the Sync3 feature and less depreciation. Other than that, they are nearly identical. I paid $52k Canadian for my Sport before taxes during Ford Employee pricing. Saved about $6k off MSRP (roughly 10-11% off MSRP) which included a $1000 Costco rebate and didn't have to negotiate. Came with Adaptive Cruise Control with Collision Assist, panoramic sunroof, cross bars, weather mats, and smoked quartz exterior. Out the door in BC it was just under $60k, and I paid $2900 extra for a 10 year / 120k extended warranty for peace of mind. I also got to dodge luxury tax which starts at $53,000.

Btw, Smoked Quartz is a really nice color, but you have to see it in person. It's almost black, but metallic. Can only get that color with 2017.

Someone else posted a detailed official list of exact dealer prices for every option somewhere in these forums, and cross checking what I paid, I felt like I did quite decently. None of the deals I've seen before and after the Ford Employee Pricing promotion have come close, and I don't know what it would be like to try to get them to give you the same type of deal.

I paid $175 over invoice on a new 2017 Explorer Sport with options 401A, White tri-coat, twin panel moon and adaptive cruise. I was also able to get $3,000 worth of rebates going on at Thanksgiving. It went pretty smoothly and they didn't even charge me for the $1285 Tuff paint sealant attached to the window, LMAO! But they did send me the warranty for it a week later?? I did buy the 100,000 Mile 8 year Ford extended warranty after realizing that there is a LOT of electrical stuff that can go wrong, and we keep our cars for about 8 years 90% of the time. The prices for extended factory warranties are regulated in Florida and the prices are set, no dealing. That was $3100. They showed me the invoice and I did 90% of the dealing over the computer and phone.
I like the car, and I RESEARCH the hell out of cars before I buy one. I was intending to get rid of a 2008 Range Rover Supercharged so I would not buy a car without a Turbo or Supercharger. The Explorer fit the bill and the options and price$$ was much better than other manufacturers. A little too much plastic on dash and other areas for my liking. Some minor panel fit issues that I see being a bit **** and having restored a few cars in my time. It's quiet and the stereo system allows me to hear words from songs I never heard before :). Geez, I can hear every lyric in Squeezes, Pulling Mussels from a Shell...I think I had half the lyrics wrong before that. It's my 3rd explorer and this one was intended to be mine while we waited for the 2017 Mazda CX-9 for my wife. I think she is going to confiscate it from me though as she likes it, so back to looking. I would buy it again. Good luck.

Use www.truecar.com to get the best pricing. A 2017 Explorer Sport lists for 51K+ but will sell for 45k.
DONT PAY DEALER PRCING FOR ESP. (extended service plan).
Go to www.floodfordesp.com. I got my dealer to meet the price of a 6yr 75k esp.
PLus, no need to order as 2017 Explorers have hit all dealers now. Unless a Base,Limited,Sport or Platinum doesnt have want you want.

I myself got the Sport; Platinum was too much for the added features... which wasn't much more than the Sport.

Besides, I'm adding in my own heated rear seats for $62 for each seat. Plus I plan on getting a pair of DVD headrest 1080p units for about $280; in black leather.

It pays to do homework. Google is your friend.

Use www.truecar.com to get the best pricing. A 2017 Explorer Sport lists for 51K+ but will sell for 45k.
DONT PAY DEALER PRCING FOR ESP. (extended service plan).
Go to www.floodfordesp.com. I got my dealer to meet the price of a 6yr 75k esp.
PLus, no need to order as 2017 Explorers have hit all dealers now. Unless a Base,Limited,Sport or Platinum doesnt have want you want.

I myself got the Sport; Platinum was too much for the added features... which wasn't much more than the Sport.

Besides, I'm adding in my own heated rear seats for $62 for each seat. Plus I plan on getting a pair of DVD headrest 1080p units for about $280; in black leather.

It pays to do homework. Google is your friend.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did the ESP include 1st day rental? From posts in the ESP thread they usually don't in order to match another ESP provider that includes the rental. I don't believe anyone has beat his price yet. Did you check out that thread? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/ford-extended-service-plans.323161/
The Forum's 'Search' feature is an even better friend.;)

Peter

Looks like McDavid Ford in Fort Worth Texas has Ford Explorers for $5700 under MSRP, thats not including the $2000 rebate they have available till 1st of April

Just (Sat 11) picked up my new 2017 Sport Silver, Equipment Group 400A, Twin Panel Moonroof, Adapt Cruise Control.
Sticker: $58079.00 Canadian
Lease Price Paid: $52734.98 Canadian including dealer fees

Brian

Looks like McDavid Ford in Fort Worth Texas has Ford Explorers for $5700 under MSRP, thats not including the $2000 rebate they have available till 1st of April

Is this still on?

That seems like a great deal. I just went online and looked at their website, some great deals.

Is it common that some dealers have discounts like this and others don't? I'm up in Wisconsin, Texas is kind of far away...

That seems like a great deal. I just went online and looked at their website, some great deals.

Is it common that some dealers have discounts like this and others don't? I'm up in Wisconsin, Texas is kind of far away...

I contacted them. They won't sell to me. I'm in California. They don't order any vehicles with the no charge 50 states emissions certification option!

I contacted them. They won't sell to me. I'm in California. They don't order any vehicles with the no charge 50 states emissions certification option!

I've spent the past hour or two researching and comparing prices (down to comparing the window stickers to make sure there's no funny business going on). This TX dealer is a solid $4k cheaper than what I can find in WI. WI dealers have the $2000 ford cash and 0% for 72 months, and some will throw in an extra $1500 in savings, but it's still far behind what McDavid is offering.

I've spent the past hour or two researching and comparing prices (down to comparing the window stickers to make sure there's no funny business going on). This TX dealer is a solid $4k cheaper than what I can find in WI. WI dealers have the $2000 ford cash and 0% for 72 months, and some will throw in an extra $1500 in savings, but it's still far behind what McDavid is offering.

The dealer we are buying from is 100 miles away from us. They are giving us a better deal than we could get from my 2 local dealers. That said, McDavid's price is still considerably lower. Just goes to show you once again that the actual cost the dealer pays is several thousand under invoice. And consider yourselves lucky to get the 0% for 72 months-It's 60 months here in California.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2017 EX PLAT. Sticker:61889 - Z-Plan:55336 minus 1750 incentive is 53586 plus Tax.
Taking the 0% for 48month

Back