• Register Today It's free!

1993 a4ld transmission rebuild

kristinandq

Reaction score
City, State
West Valley City Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer
Well just got another explorer for the kids. Got it for 100 bucks. The good has a little lift 4 inches i think. Almost new 33 inch tires. Now is the bad sunroof leaks. Regular rusted out rockers. Needs the brakes bled. Needs transmission rebuilt does not move at all. picked up a transmission from a friend that works just shifts late for free. ATF is very clean thinking of tearing it down replace and upgrade most parts in it. Here is the big question. Should i attempt to rebuild it my self. I have been reading the build diaries on here from various members on here. They make it seem as long as you are patient and meticulous that you should have good results. Advise and or criticism is welcome.

Since you don't have much money into it... and you have read the rebuild diaries... you don't have much to lose. From when I looked into this years ago it was the few special tools that I didn't like. But buying tools really isn't bad.. my issue was when I needed it rebuilt I needed it yesterday.. It doesn't sound like you're in a rush so it doesn't sound like that bad of an idea if you are mechanically inclined.

~Mark

Back