The Centaurus! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Centaurus!

index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't see any pics.:( is the problem at my end or were they taken down?
NVM saw the pics in the link above. Awesome truck. Make a great tow rig for the camper.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

What a fine piece of machinery!

Some of the comments on there mentioned it being top heavy. I wonder what weight difference there actually is...

I love snow to look at, but unless you are on all flat roads... I need AWD or 4WD where I drive, plus real snow tires. Have fun there, it does look nice. Enjoy the new brakes.

Those tires do sound like a bargain, and they are Winter tires with mention of better wear on road. I'd say that's a good choice and jump on them.

That 245/70/16 is the exact size of my Blizzak snow tires, it's a good size(29.5") for our wheels. I'm using a Michelin 255/65/16 for my non snow use, which makes them 29" and they handle better than the stock 255/70 size(30").

Tire Rack had a good deal on the Blizzak tires I've been using for about 15 years here. I passed on them at about $100, thinking I might want to change sizes this year(17's versus the 16's). But I'm going to stick with the same size front rotors I have, which let me use a 16" tire.

I wish you were closer, I'd sell you my current snow tires, for maybe $200. They are almost ten years old, but maybe have 1000 miles on them. They stick great and look almost new, but as the pure Winter tires they are, the dry wear will be worse, and they do give you more wiggle in handling. Most Winter tires are chosen as a rather narrow and tall tire, and even for a given size, they don't steer as tightly as a normal Summer or A/S tire. I'm going to buy the Nokia studded tire next, and sell these or use them up fast on my route this year.

Great tires make all the difference in the snow.

Those used tires were a good get too, and I'm glad to help. You can appreciate those used tires with the 2WD and not feel bad about using them up. I have the Michelin tires on my mail truck, and I hate the thought of them not lasting a year. I've only had them on for about 2.5 months, so I think the wear is good so far. I like the rain traction a lot, which was my biggest worry. You can't have too good of a tire.

I have a FMS rear cover that I had Turdle do in black, an attempt at a transparent black that just looks black. I have those 16" wheels to put my next snow tires on, those were high when I got them in 2004.

I have the a gallon of Fluid Film to use on some stored engine parts. Can that be used on an underside of a car, does it wash off?

I think you are better off not running the winter tires all year. You'd pry see decreased MPG and increased braking distances during the summer.

Most people up north try to have two sets of wheels/tires for their cars. Then they try to use the Winter tires just when they expect the snow, and thus swap ON/OFF once a year. I get far less snow here, so I only put the Winter tires on for a few days for each event. That saves the snow tires, but it's more work to swap them several times during Winter.

Good luck up there with this big storm coming now. It's basically missing us, and at least everybody has had warm days until now. It shouldn't last long for most people, we hope.

Yeah, a big lake and lots of wind, that's a perfect recipe for snow, or ice. Stay warm.

GenevaIce01.jpg

Those headlights cracked...?

Yeah. It's been like that since I got it. I always keep the brights on and so far no one has noticed...

I still got my OEM units I took out to put in new OEM ones. Clearcoat failing. Look really good after some work with Meguiar's PlastX and some wax. Interested...?

Back