Center Bezel cracked | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Bezel cracked

ExPlat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
I was cleaning the inside of the car today and noticed what I thought was a hair stuck on the bezel above the Nav screen and below the A/C vents, it turned out to be a hairline crack in the bezel plastic. It is a very awkward place to break the plastic and I wondered how that could have happened, then remembered that about 2 weeks ago the Dealer took down the headliner to repair the passenger luggage rail. This crack is exactly where a Tech might place a hand to balance while working on the headliner, it sure isn't in an area of use by the driver/passenger.

I called my Dealer and spoke with my regular SA and reminded him about the rail warranty work, he groaned but told me to bring the car in so they could look, it so happened that we were going in that direction and took it right over. At the Dealership the Assistant Service Mgr looked at the crack and listened to my story, took a couple pictures and wrote some things down, then passed all that to my regular SA. Then they huddled and my SA said they would get back to me soon about the part availability and sent us on our way.
Right now I am not sure what the final result will be. I will remain optimistic until further notice... :)

The crack is at the red line on the driver's side of the bezel.

FCIM%20Center%20Bezel_zpsm9yjhxbz.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good catch.
Push them until they replace it and also inspect the entire dash, heck the entire front interior thoroughly; afterwards.

It's why i don't like anyone working on my vehicles, It seems that fixing something almost always entail breaking something else

Good catch.
Push them until they replace it and also inspect the entire dash, heck the entire front interior thoroughly; afterwards.
I looked pretty hard when I got it back from that repair but I was looking for dirty hand prints on the headliner, made sure the overhead switches worked and for loose panels/parts, not the dash. I'll look around at other areas today (and hope I don't find problems :shifty:).

It's why i don't like anyone working on my vehicles, It seems that fixing something almost always entail breaking something else
I'm with you on that and wish I didn't need to. This is an expensive vehicle and most of the things that have gone wrong so far were big ticket items under warranty and I am determined to get them fixed while the B2B warranty is in effect, if that's possible. So far my Dealer(s) have stepped up to the plate and worked with me on them, no serious complaints so far but it does get time consuming.

no serious complaints so far but it does get time consuming.
It does, and nobody gives a hoot about our time and gas wasted on dealer visits for warranty repairs that shouldn't happen in the first place and are not expected on new/er vehicles. Many brush it away with " it's covered under warranty", but that's not the point. Point is, that a new vehicle should keep us away from the service department.
At less then 700 km, we managed to claim 3 visits to show our concerns to the dealer and have replacement parts ordered.

Back