2007 ford explorer door hinge adjustment??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2007 ford explorer door hinge adjustment???

east1la

Reaction score
City, State
Mount olive, nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
hey. I own a 2007 ford explorer. I have a question. the driver front door makes like a clicking sound either opening or closing driver front door . its looks like its coming from bottom hinge. can this be adjusted or not??? I tried to look around, but no luck.

IMAG1580.jpg

this is the hinge im talking about. its the bottom one. I can put my hand and while im closing or opening door, I can feel click noise. any advise will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rear passenger door/drivers side hinge makes a nasty sound when I close it. Like it's catching on something. I tried a little grease and it helped a little. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but for now I'm just living with it.

My front/driver door often makes an awful sound if I close the door when it was resting at the first detente. Would like to know the fix!

my driver's side door does this too!! Anyone come up with a solution yet?

Have you tried lifting up the door from the latch side to check the hinge pins for wear? The bottom hinge pin usually wears more than the top one. If worn then the door will be out of alignment when the latch contacts the striker and you will get a noise. When the door actually closes the latch will align the body panels and everything looks good. When you open the door it may drop, again pointing to worn hinge pins.

Good luck.

Have you tried lifting up the door from the latch side to check the hinge pins for wear? The bottom hinge pin usually wears more than the top one. If worn then the door will be out of alignment when the latch contacts the striker and you will get a noise. When the door actually closes the latch will align the body panels and everything looks good. When you open the door it may drop, again pointing to worn hinge pins.

Good luck.

I already tried to lift up door. It dont feel loose. The bottom hinge looks like theres a bolt cover on top area. I tried to pull it off, to try to tighten up the middle bolt (look at picture). Does anyone know how to remove this bolt cover (if possible)??

I friend of mine had this same problem (vw jetta) and he tighten up the middle bolt. It work for him.
I want to try same thing, if i could remove bolt cover.

Popping nosie from Door

I had this issue for a while now. Ford tried to fix it by replacing the lower hinge. This seemed to work, but after a month or two it came back. I found the problem was the upper hinge. I sprayed some white lithium grease around it and haven't had a problem since (6 months now). :)

door hinge

can you tell me how you got the pin out and what is that knobby thing on top

can you tell me how you got the pin out and what is that knobby thing on top

Sorry for the late reply. I don't own this vehicle anymore (traded it in for a 2010 Chevy Tahoe). My old explorer started giving more problems.

Not sure if either of these is our problem as I have already tried penetrating oil and light oil to the drivers door and did all the others and hinges. The drivers door is still making a noise. I figured it would work in after the liberal application of lubricants. But no not yet. I was not able to see an offending area. Its the drivers door only there wasn't any sign of previous lubrication done.

This is an old thread and whether bumping it or creating a new one was undecided. But since there is content I am just bumping it.

I've had a worn hinge pin bushing on my driver's door, and the only fix was a new hinge. NAPA had a hinge pin kit that was supposed to work, but it was too big, so had to go with a new hinge. That was because the door was sagging. The "noise" issue is something I have also, but it comes and goes. Something is obviously hanging up or catching, and then it makes that awful "bonk," noise as I call it when closing the door. I'm just living with it and it's not a huge concern.

Last check the door wasn't sagging and that wouldn't cause the sound. I am wondering if there is some mechanism that is not readily seen.

I drilled two little holes in the little tube and used a needle grease gun in the bottom hole. It forced a bunch of brownish white grease up out of the top hole. Seems to have fixed the problem, but I think I will need to put more in it.

I am not sure where you are referring to. I'll have to look when I can examine the area.

Ok, I'll be down fixing things next weekend and have a look at it.

PS: Small equals ?? 1/8" ~

Ok, I'll be down fixing things next weekend and have a look at it.

PS: Small equals ?? 1/8" ~
The lower hole just big enough for your needle tip grease gun to fit and the top maybe one size bigger. There will be some pressure in it as you pump grease in it. It will force the old stuff out of the top hole.

I had a beveled needle tip once. Never used it nor can I find it now. LOL

Have to buy a different one now. I see one which has a long needle for injecting grease into seals etc and must be the one you are talking about. Tip is about 1.5" long and stainless steel according to OEM. It connects via a grease fitting on its back end to the guns hose.

I had a beveled needle tip once. Never used it nor can I find it now. LOL

Have to buy a different one now. I see one which has a long needle for injecting grease into seals etc and must be the one you are talking about. Tip is about 1.5" long and stainless steel according to OEM. It connects via a grease fitting on its back end to the guns hose.
Yes that's it. Don't want the hole too much bigger because the grease will just push right back out the same hole. It will work. You just have to push grease in it. Open and close the door and the noise will slowly go away. You will also get grease coming out of the holes, as you open and close them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What has Ford done in there? Any idea, it seems a weird design for some restrictor which I gather it must be.

Back