Center Console latch problem | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console latch problem

This is a great fix. Ordered up the springs. Works better than when new!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found my extra springs. If anyone needs some let me know.

I could use (2) springs if you have extras. 2006 Explorer with same problem.

I'm going to hit the local hardware store and see if they have a spring assortment I can look thru, otherwise I could use a couple of those springs. That broken latch bugs the heck out of me.

Broken Latch Fix

Have had my 2006 Explorer for years, and this broken latch never would stay shut. Went by Lowe's today and picked up a four pack of 1 5/8" compression springs. had to trim them a little to fit. But works nicely. GREAT FIX!!!

Anyone still happen to have extra springs laying around? Thanks!

I have a 2008 Explorer Limited that the latch never worked properly from the day I bought it. I was getting ready to order a replacement lid off eBay, that chances are would have broken just like the one I have now, but then I did a search and found this thread. Ordered the springs and they arrived next day. 15 mites with a screwdriver, socket wrench and hex screwdriver and a Dremel and it is better than new. I never knew this thing clicked shut! Thanks for saving me $100+!

None of the pics seem to be working on this thread. Can anybody re-attach a pic of the final solution? I have the specs on the compression springs, but want to be sure I know how to install. 1 side of mine is broken. It still latches, but it's just a matter of time before the 2nd side goes.

I fixed mine a few weeks ago. Instead of ordering, I took the dimensions of the springs described in this thread earlier and went to my local hardware store and bought two. I also bought an Exacto knife for the minor carving that needs to be done. Total cost around $5 and took 15 minutes.

Yeah, I'm going to Lowes or local hardware store for mine, too. I got the exact specs from that catalog site on the first page.
Any pictures????

Great fix with the springs. I'll also mention that when trying to mend something like the broken plastic piece I've had luck using the concept of lamination. Don't just try to glue the pieces back together at the break - take another piece of flexible plastic (or two) and also glue them over the joint - extending out past the break as far as possible in both directions. Looking for a piece of plastic to use? If you have kids then keep those plastic pieces they use when packaging the toy to hold it to the cardboard.

That's exactly how I fixed the cracked armrest part of the console lid. Unbolted it and remove the tan vinyl cover. Then turned it upside down, sandpaper scuffed the black plastic area and then cut a piece of scrap plexiglass to the approximate correct size using my jigsaw (I rounded off the corners while I was at it). Then Smeared the plexiglas piece with two part epoxy and spring clamped it together for a few hours. Rock solid now for two years

None of the pics seem to be working on this thread. Can anybody re-attach a pic of the final solution? I have the specs on the compression springs, but want to be sure I know how to install. 1 side of mine is broken. It still latches, but it's just a matter of time before the 2nd side goes.
11344779nl.jpg

I've tried various sizes of springs, none of which were the 3/8" diameter as someone spec'ed out earlier. In the meantime, since I've cut out the other side's spring-tab, the console cover is now lifting, bugging both of us. I guess I'll have to pay the $6 for 2 springs.

Know this is an old thread, but on mine, I took the MacGuyver route.

I took a zip tie (one of those foot long ones, that I had in my tool box for years) and zipped it into a loop (about the size of a half dollar) that fits into the area where the broken plastic tab was.
Nestle it in there and it'll want to stay round. Important trick is not to put a hard fold into it.
Once you've got the right fit, snip the excess off.
There is enough tension on it, that acts like a spring, putting the cover back on is all that is needed to keep it in place.
Worked like a charm for me, I only had one broken tab, but it should work even if both sides had failed.
I didn't think to take a pic, but if anyone is interested, I'll pull it back off and post some.

Know this is an old thread, but on mine, I took the MacGuyver route.

I took a zip tie (one of those foot long ones, that I had in my tool box for years) and zipped it into a loop (about the size of a half dollar) that fits into the area where the broken plastic tab was.
Nestle it in there and it'll want to stay round. Important trick is not to put a hard fold into it.
Once you've got the right fit, snip the excess off.
There is enough tension on it, that acts like a spring, putting the cover back on is all that is needed to keep it in place.
Worked like a charm for me, I only had one broken tab, but it should work even if both sides had failed.
I didn't think to take a pic, but if anyone is interested, I'll pull it back off and post some.

That sounds awesome. I might try this tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

I took a pick, forgot I left a little tail on it for a bit more spring. The zip tie should be about the same width as the broken prong...
Expo_Console_Latch_Fix.jpg

I took a pick, forgot I left a little tail on it for a bit more spring. The zip tie should be about the same width as the broken prong...View attachment 169347

I ended up fixing my center console lid latch using your zip tie method. It took me a few tries to get it to where I thought it was good but super easy. The side with the zip tie is a bit stiffer than the oem side. Contemplated on snapping off the remaining oem side to make it consistent pressure on both sides but couldn't bring myself to break it. At least it has a solid *click* when I close the lid now. Thanks again for the tip!

I just did the spring method repair, but a little different.

I didn't need to cut anything except for the remaining plastic spring tab. I used a fatter spring than others used because the spring sits in a channel such that it didn't make as good contact with the latch as I would have liked. It now feels solid like it never felt before.
Spring diameter.jpg
Spring length.jpg
Springs set in console.jpg

Wow - what an easy fix !!!

Rooted thru my dad’s assorted spring bottle... Found 2 springs the exact same size....

I found an even quicker way to install.....did not take the cover off at all....

I just took out the Phillips head screws.... did not take hinge off the truck or the cover.....did not take out the Torx screws.....

I just pried the cover up enough to be able cut the plastic pieces - by reaching in with an exacto blade and then pried the cut pieces off with a screwdriver.... then reached in and popped in the two springs, put Phillips screws back in and I was done..... it does not have to be beautiful - just need clearance to be able to pop the springs in....

Is it ever nice to hear that click again when closing and not have the cover floating up when going over bumps....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just did this fix myself however I moved the springs closer in.. right under the ford logo that is stamped in.. like a charm.. thanks for the tip and saving me money!!!

Back